Celebrity just called us to try and downgrade our

LinnieRed

2 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I would take the offer on a non E class ship for a 50% refund to my credit card (not a FCC) and maintaining all suite benefits including the Retreat. It's a no for anything less.  

I doubt that this is an opportunity to negotiate.  Also, what exactly do you mean by suite benefits. You would still expect a butler? Meals in Luminae? stocked bar?

3 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

Aqua Class cabins include the perks now.

I wouldn't have switched either.

Depending upon what ship I may have taken the offer. On a E class no way would I move.  However on S or M class I would have taken the offer.  IMHO the “Retreat experience”

is much better on E class which were designed for the Retreat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Depending upon what ship I may have taken the offer. On a E class no way would I move.  However on S or M class I would have taken the offer.  IMHO the “Retreat experience”

is much better on E class which were designed for the Retreat. 

I think even the E Class ships the Retreat is overrated. Simply too many suites for the space allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LinnieRed said:

We have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in a week and are booked in the retreat. We had a phone call this morning where they wanted to downgrade us into the aqua class. They offered us $200 onboard credit +50% of our cruise fare back, but we declined. They didn’t mention anything about the perks of the retreat so I imagine we would’ve lost those.

I think this is super interesting that they oversold. Does this seem like a common occurrence? The rest of the ship looks almost empty based on the availability of cabins. 

Aquaclass is often about 60% of the cost of the suite so that's hardly much of a move over incentive anyway! It's more like only if you really wanted AQ but had to get a suite initially because sold out, which is unlikely to be very many people.

12 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

On our current B2B, we had a situation where a couple in a suite on cruise #1 could only book an Aqua cabin on cruise #2.  They were looking to stay in a suite for the second cruise, and I think Celebrity reached out to some booked suite passengers to see if they were interested in the downgrade offer.

Again, just an offer, not a demand.. some might like the offer... some not.

Not sure why Celebrity would even intervene for that. Sure it's voluntary, but why does party 2 even need a suite since they booked later? Sure they want a suite, but it's not as though if you ring up celebrity because you want a suite on a sold out cruise and they'll call everyone asking to downgrade.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

What perks does Aqua have that are same as a suite?  no butler, no free specialties, no luminae, no stocked bar etc.

Those aren't perks, they are room amenities. Perks are what come with the AI package.

If they were allowing me to keep the retreat perks, I totally would have taken that deal.  If the perks were gone as well, then no.  But Aqua is nice and includes the thermal suite.  50% off a future cruise means I could get a suite the next time for half the price.  Again...only if the Retreat perks were left in tact.

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Another possibility?  Late booking of some big name talent or guest speaker that was requesting or was felt to warrant a suite.

Gwenyth Paltrow?!?!

Goop comes to Celebrity at last!

Do you think she would take an Aqua class cabin?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

What perks does Aqua have that are same as a suite?  no butler, no free specialties, no luminae, no stocked bar etc.

Only the high end suites include free specialty dining and the bottles of liquor.  The majority of suites ( Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites) do not get those included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is happening with Oceania now as well. We were invited to change to a different sailing in exchange for a number of perks we didn't want, including a drinks package and shore excursions, and some OBC. We declined but I know some who have taken the offer. It seems to be an issue with "guaranteed" categories and it's not just in suites on Oceania.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is there history of any pax getting bumped down?  Involuntarily?

Yes there was one recently of someone ‘bumped down’ from a guaranteed suite class who found out en route to the cruise. They, and their TA kicked up a storm and ‘magically’ their sky suite was restored.

Edited by downsmead

This is very interesting and disturbing.  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with all of the "free" cruises offered.  I don't know about this particular cruise but I know it applied to several Solstice sailings.  Maybe the Blue Chip Club and the regular booking folks got things mixed up??  I would never take an offer like this and would be very, very upset if it was anything other than a request.  I am of the mind that a VIP type person and/or group wanted a suite and none was available.  

23 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I would take the offer on a non E class ship for a 50% refund to my credit card (not a FCC) and maintaining all suite benefits including the Retreat. It's a no for anything less.  

On E Class like EDGE, All AQ cabins have the Infinite Veranda..no balc and inclyde dining at BLU...bad location, no view..loud acoustics!

I would yell NO WAY!