Arvia maiden cancelled

molecrochip

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Arvia now showing on Southampton VTS.

23 December, arrival time TBA.

If this is the date of her "new" maiden, presumably she will be in town a couple of days before?

Correction to my previous post.

That entry on the Southampton VTS is remaining from before the maiden cruise was cancelled as that would have arrived in Southampton in the morning for the changeover.

Just my thought.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Arvia now showing on Southampton VTS.

23 December, arrival time TBA.

If this is the date of her "new" maiden, presumably she will be in town a couple of days before?

See post 17 by @Host Sharon - she says she’s been offered the chance to apply for a VIP tour and lunch on board on the 20th. So yes.

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

See post 17 by @Host Sharon - she says she’s been offered the chance to apply for a VIP tour and lunch on board on the 20th. So yes.

Apply for a lunch and tour to see what we could have 'won'.  P&O do Bullseye!

Have to apply and obviously only really of use to those within easy travel of terminal.

We also get the loyalty points from the cruise.

Maybe now they will have time to do a shakedown before new maiden.

Edited by gsgbrumuk

On 10/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, Megabear2 said:

I was booked on this and also Norwegian Viva - the latter the replacement for the first. NCL refunded all money paid - just a deposit - plus 10% discount on any cruise which remains for 2 years and if I book an extra $100 OBC by way of thanks.  

The words in the 'quote' of mine (timed at 10.30) you have used are not mine. 

4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

The words in the 'quote' of mine (timed at 10.30) you have used are not mine. 

Apologies, ask for it to be removed by all means.  How was the allotment, I presume the sun was excellent as you aren't far from me.

I assume we are now going to get your further promised take on the issue under discussion and await it with interest.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, Harry Peterson said:

There you go:

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/the-consumer-rights-act-2015-all-change-for-consumer-contracts-for-goods-digital-content-services-and-unfair-terms/

and

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/unfair-contract-terms-cma37

Something to read when you get back from your vegetables. The point here is that when expenses arise which aren’t covered by a simple refund of the contract price, the terms in a consumer contract won’t necessarily protect the company against claims for those additional costs.

S61 et seq by the way.

Ket to that are the words ''won't necessarily protect the company'. 

I wonder who will be brave enough to try it on. 😉😂

On 10/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, majortom10 said:

Let us all be honest P&O are well known, and have been for many years, for there "sharp" business practices so nobody should be really surprised. P&O always expect the customer to be loyal to them but do not return and often treat their customers with contempt. I am afraid when booking a cruise with P&O the phrase "buyer beware" should be firmly in everyone's mind but fortunately for P&O people however poorly treated by them still carry on cruising with them and shout out there praises.

Good afternoon again Major.

It would appear we are locking horns on yet another of my favoured cruise lines. 😉 😂

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Ket to that are the words ''won't necessarily protect the company'. 

I wonder who will be brave enough to try it on. 😉😂

Some do, and succeed. Usually by means of a non-disclosure agreement. It’s the way P&O like to do things to avoid the glare of publicity.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, Snow Hill said:

They do seem to be mimicking some of the Ryanair approach for charging for something that was once free. What next charging for priority boarding and disembarkation, a charge for every piece of luggage you take onboard. 

Doh! Now you've done it!

I bet those suggestions are already in an email winging its way to Head Office!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Want to board AND sleep with your companion? - extra charge (non-refundable).

And if you don't pay that how do they decide who's companion you sleep with? Selected at random by P&O, or is it one of those cruise cards in a bowl scenarios? 

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, TigerB said:

And if you don't pay that how do they decide who's companion you sleep with? Selected at random by P&O, or is it one of those cruise cards in a bowl scenarios? 

Asking for a friend.

As long as you wear a mask I don't suppose it matters.

• Haha 6

On 10/27/2022 at 2:59 PM, gsgbrumuk said:

That's what I find very 'fishy'. Was it a convenient ploy as they knew/heavily suspected it would not go ahead.  So give paid up passengers a refund and then this would reduce any future cruise credit offered.  Am I a cynic or is it sharp practice.

What's the benefit in that ? Surely giving FCC rather than cold hard cash benefits them more as it means they are guaranteed to go on another p&o cruise & get to keep cash in the bank.  

Giving them cash back means there's no guarantee they get a re-booking if the customer is disgruntled or just decides they can no longer afford it due to the cost of living crisis.

Edited by Francisdrake

2 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

What's the benefit in that ? Surely giving FCC rather than cold hard cash benefits them more as it means they are guaranteed to go on another p&o cruise & get to keep cash in the bank.  

Giving them cash back means there's no guarantee they get a re-booking if the customer is disgruntled or just decides they can no longer afford it due to the cost of living crisis.

They would have to give the cash back by law.  By looking like they were Santa offering the first tranche by way of reduced price they reduced the cost of the cruise. They then only gave the 10% on the remaining "cost" thereby saving themselves money in the event of a rebooking.

Customer gets all his outlay back, P&O risks less, ie £5,000 initial cruise cost, reduce by 15% and return £750. A couple of weeks later cancel cruise and give the passenger back his remaining £4,250 with FCC of £425.  If the price had stayed at £5,000 it would have been £500 FCC.  Doesn't sound much but for 5,200 people that £75 adds up to £390,000!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 8

Well explained Megabear2.

Although as our fcc is reduced it does mean it has less effect when comparing the bottom line between like for like cruises on different lines.

Of course using fcc only affects the cost element to P&O of the 'service' bought.

• Like 1

Trying to reduce the amount of FCC out there might be cash flow management? Does anyone have any idea of the contingent liability of future cruise value being run by the cruise lines as a result of covid. Bookings with FCC reduce current cash flow I would guess?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Froxfield said:

Trying to reduce the amount of FCC out there might be cash flow management? Does anyone have any idea of the contingent liability of future cruise value being run by the cruise lines as a result of covid. Bookings with FCC reduce current cash flow I would guess?

Initially many FCCs would have been for fully paid cruises, but now I guess the majority are deposit only, so not such a hit to cash flow.

6 hours ago, Froxfield said:

It will be in the Carnival accounts somewhere, but possibly not fully broken down between operating companies. Certainly reduces cashflow, and it might be interesting to see how it’s been valued for accounting purposes.

There was a note of this in one of the accounts.

It’s held as a £:£ liability until it expires when it’s written-off. 

It’s a discount due, so when someone booked their cruise, it stops being a liability and reduces the turnover.

So say a cruise is £2,000 and FCC is £250, the company book £1,750 as turnover. They don’t book £2,000 with £250 paid because the FCC doesn’t ever actually exist as cash.

During the most recent earnings call, they said FCCs were reducing turnover by less than 1%. It had been 4-5%. So FCCs are really working their way through the system.

I don’t buy the conspiracy theory I’m afraid. A lot of Arvia cruises before Easter 2023 have been repriced. Most refunded by OBS but where changes have been significant, there have been some cash refunds.

Whether rightly or wrongly, P&Os severe Covid reduction in Arvia capacity at the time bookings were taken led to prices rising very quickly. Not everyone was affected however now so much more capacity exists, people approaching 90 days would have cancelled and rebooked to get a better deal. P&O. In this case P&O took the right decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Initially many FCCs would have been for fully paid cruises, but now I guess the majority are deposit only, so not such a hit to cash flow.

I've got two fully paid ones still.  One is from this year and small at £999 and the other is a cancellation on a long ago forgotten cruise which was mixed up and not available when I booked this year and next year's Christmas cruises.  That's a bigger one at £4,700. Both are valid well into 2024.  If, and it's a big if, the insurance situation is sorted they'll be used in March this year or paid towards the Christmas booking.

10 hours ago, molecrochip said:

. A lot of Arvia cruises before Easter 2023 have been repriced. Most refunded by OBS but where changes have been significant, there have been some cash refunds.

Have you any details to back this up?  I’m booked in Feb 23.  

My holiday dropped by £1000.  
Also, I had £360 OBC and P& O added another £150 in October but new bookers get £650 OBC

P&O insisted I cancel and rebook to make a saving.  So I lost my deposit.

17 minutes ago, ElmaLee said:

Have you any details to back this up?  I’m booked in Feb 23.  

My holiday dropped by £1000.  
Also, I had £360 OBC and P& O added another £150 in October but new bookers get £650 OBC

P&O insisted I cancel and rebook to make a saving.  So I lost my deposit.

Totally agree, I haven't seen anything to back up Moley's claim, in fact quite the opposite, price dropped but no refund yes received a small amount of OBC but only making up a fraction of new booker's OBC. I wrote to customer service dept. and basically told that's the way it goes. So that turned out to be my last ever booking with P&O.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 2