Is this an unusually high deposit?

PC 462

I started booking a 14 day cruise leaving on April 1, 2023.  The booking required a deposit of $1200 for a fare of $1964.  That's 61%!

Am I missing something?  Is this the new normal?  It seems like a big commitment in financially uncertain times.  Maybe it's because of financially uncertain times?

I don't think the deposit is determine as a percentage of the cruise fare. For the cruise we have booked the deposit amount was the same no matter what cabin you were purchasing. $300 pp

we were required to pay the full amount for a deeply discounted fare.  The agent stated timing as the reason.  We were several months ahead of the cruise, but it was such a good deal, we pd it.  

Edited by Banditswife
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

we were required to pay the full amount for a deeply discounted fare.  The agent stated timing as the reason.  We were several months ahead of the cruise, but it was such a good deal, we pd it.  

I had just gotten an email talking about 50% off deposits, so was I ever surprised.
Since my cruise would leave on April 1, I thought at first it was a bad April Fool’s joke!

I get the good deal aspect, for sure. I’m uneasy about what could happen to cruising between now and then.

1 minute ago, PC 462 said:

I had just gotten an email talking about 50% off deposits, so was I ever surprised.
Since my cruise would leave on April 1, I thought at first it was a bad April Fool’s joke!

I get the good deal aspect, for sure. I’m uneasy about what could happen to cruising between now and then.

The way I look at is this:  you will have to pay it sooner or later, might as well get it out of the way now.  We make sure we have the travel insurance- for those unforseen situations, you just never know what is going to happen between now & April.  Have fun enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PC 462 said:

I started booking a 14 day cruise leaving on April 1, 2023.  The booking required a deposit of $1200 for a fare of $1964.  That's 61%!

Am I missing something?  Is this the new normal?  It seems like a big commitment in financially uncertain times.  Maybe it's because of financially uncertain times?

Did you book directly or through a TA?

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

We once alerted our TA to an itinerary we were interested in and asked him to look out for deals. He found a great price (It was a HAL cruise Boston to Montreal), but it required full payment as a deposit. We took it, and of course, immediately also bought insurance.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Did you book directly or through a TA?

It was on the HAL site. I just checked again and the deposit dropped while the fare went up! It’s getting to be like booking airfare.

• Haha 1

Here is the HAL fine print from the online TA we use regarding HAL deposits.....Look likes there is quite a wide range......

Deposit and Final Payment

Cruise Deposit Amount  
Alaska, Bermuda, Caribbean, Canada/New England, Europe, Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal and 16 to 18-day Hawaii voyages $350 to $2900 per person  
All other sailings, including holiday sailings, 30+ day transatlantic voyages and segments of 30+ day transatlantic voyages $350 to $2900 per person  

Note: Select promotions require full payment at the time of booking. 

• Thanks 1

I have booked 2 cruises in total, both this year. Princess was something around $200 deposit and the rest due within two weeks, months before the cruise. The other was the Baja California cruise on Hal and they wanted 100% up front.

5 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

We booked a cruise for 2024 some time ago….required a deposit of $3000 which we thought was exorbitant.  But we wanted a certain cabin on that voyage so paid it.  Like an earlier poster said, pay now or pay later.  We, too, purchased insurance!

Yes, especially with the extremely low rates of interest banks are now paying, it really does come down to pay now or pay later. We presently have a cruise booked for next year (though not on HAL) that we paid a deposit last year. We paid double the minimum deposit to get one of those AMEX offers. Paying an extra $250 got us an immediate $100 credit on our cc bill (and later on we will just owe that $250 less.)

Just booked a VA on a 14 night cruise to Europe - May 2023.  Total cost $7788.  Paid a refundable (with HIA) deposit of $600 total.  Remainder due Feb. 1.  We also immediately purchased travel insurance, but not through HAL.  We use IGM LX.  Insurance was hefty, but should cover us for anything.  We like to get it all when cruising overseas.

We like to get every thing paid for as soon as possible, even when not required.  Insurance is the key.  I will say that in 2020 we had several cruises canceled due to you know what.  We just kept moving them forward until we were finally allowed to cruise again.  I will say that the Carnival corp, even though in trouble financially, were very good about refunding whatever they could not provide- cruise fare, pre booked tours, etc.  

The entire cruise industry has taken a hit financially & are just trying to stay afloat.  If that means more $ up front, I will happily comply.  I just am happy to be back on a ship again.

Just know that the clock starts ticking the moment you put any money down. 

Specifically, be very cautious how early deposit effects pre existing condition clauses in insurance policies. 

Also note, a large percentage of people who lost money when Crystal went bankrupt were those with early deposits.

If you are going to deposit a large sum early, check and then double check to clearly understand how this effects your Insurance. Remember; many credit cards have clauses in them post-covid which protect them from  travel sector insolvency.  

To the OP- I would not put down such a large deposit. But that’s just me. 

Edited to add- these are USA laws. Other countries maybe different. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1