On Allure currently. Some issues.

18 hours ago, John Reid said:

I'd contact my credit card company and withhold payment just to make RCI jump through hoops to get it.

Which payment? My cruises are paid 90+ days out. The hold process generally only lasts 60 days is my understanding 🤔

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Kinda like when grocery stores spend Wednesday afternoon and evening swapping out next weeks sale items.

Don't understand why they don't do that after they close. Likely labor savings, but still a big inconvenience to paying customers fighting the chaos

Years ago before computers came along everything had to be priced with a label from a gun. That was a huge pita on change over day to the new grocery ad.

But now since it's all done with computer's its just a flick of a switch to put back last weeks sale items to regular prices and then to change prices to sale prices for the new ad. 

So there is no issues now on changing over endcaps to the new sale items..........It now just take a few people to work after the store closes just to put up new paper signs showing the sale prices on those endcaps and to put new  shelf sale tags in the aisles.

It saves the cost of building all those end displays after the store closes. Don't need those people since that work was done during the day time hours and not after hours when people make more per hour.

Edited by Jimbo

Solarium was fully open up until 23 Oct.  Saw some officers looking over tile edges near bar but other than that didn't see any major problems.  Cracked tile or two is pretty normal (our shower had more lose tiles than Solarium).  Since we spend most of our time up there would have been hard to spend two weeks elsewhere.

Sorry to hear this. I’d be upset too as we love hanging out in the solarium. And with a pretty full ship and 2 pools out of service, the pool experience is now ruined. 

Not sure what “fair” compensation would be but some future cruise credits would be appropriate in my opinion. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Sorry to hear this. I’d be upset too as we love hanging out in the solarium. And with a pretty full ship and 2 pools out of service, the pool experience is now ruined. 

Not sure what “fair” compensation would be but some future cruise credits would be appropriate in my opinion. 

Unfortunately, FCC's only benefit those who cruise frequently or at least will plan another Royal cruise in the not too far off future.  

If  people are being impacted on this cruise, then something should be done for them now, not later.

But honestly, not everyone is impacted by this.  I was on Allure 2 weeks ago and while we had lunch and breakfast 1x each in the Solarium, those were our only times there and we don't use the pools or sit on the open decks.  If this had happened on our cruise, it just wouldn't have mattered to us.

Not dismissing the fact that many people are unhappy, just pointing out that it's probably no biggie for some.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 9:24 AM, clskinsfan said:

This is our first cruise on an Oasis class ship. We boarded Allure yesterday. And while the ship is amazing and the food has actually been far better than I expected after reading some recent reviews, there are some issues. This is the last cruise for Allure until she transfers to Galveston. The Solarium is closed. And has been since we boarded. They have jackhammered the entire pool tike out of it. Rumors are it will be closed the entire cruise. They also have one of the other pools closed this morning. The Solarium situation is unacceptable as it is the only adult only area on the ship. There was no prior warning of it either. Nothing was said before the cruise. There are stacks of teak stain lined up in certain areas. So it is clear they intend to use the week transfer to Galveston as a mini dry dock. We are disappointed so far to say the least. 

wow.  We were on the 10/23 sailing and went to the Solarium 1x on the last day.  Plus we went to Samba 2x.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

wow.  We were on the 10/23 sailing and went to the Solarium 1x on the last day.  Plus we went to Samba 2x.  

Congrats. The adult only part if it is what matters to us. So we got shorted in that regard. Just got back from an excellent excursion in Puerto Plata. And for those that haven't been to Taino Bay it's a nice port. Huge pool and beach area overlooking the ship. Nice day today not having to battle 5800 people over 3 pools. 

• Like 4

I've heard many times (mostly on here) that sailing right before a drydock/non-rev sailing is usually not a good idea since they'll most likely start work beforehand, but Royal should absolutely have informed guests that this was going to happen.  My wife and I love the Solarium and if this was done with no notice we'd have been upset as well.

I get that it's not always possible (e.g. on sailings with group charters, it may not be possible to know beforehand which venues will be closed to non-charter folks), but at the very least, send out an email letting passengers know that certain areas may/will be closed and give them options for OBC or cancellation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Years ago before computers came along everything had to be priced with a label from a gun. That was a huge pita on change over day to the new grocery ad.

But now since it's all done with computer's its just a flick of a switch to put back last weeks sale items to regular prices and then to change prices to sale prices for the new ad. 

So there is no issues now on changing over endcaps to the new sale items..........It now just take a few people to work after the store closes just to put up new paper signs showing the sale prices on those endcaps and to put new  shelf sale tags in the aisles.

It saves the cost of building all those end displays after the store closes. Don't need those people since that work was done during the day time hours and not after hours when people make more per hour.

Recently, my local grocery store changed all the base tags to some sort of colored eInk (I don't think they are regular LED) labels. They don't even have to walk the aisles to swap the base tags or put sales tags over anything anymore. It's 100% digital!

When I was in high school (mid 80's), I would sometimes do the weekly price changes. We'd have to pull everything off the shelves. Anything stamped with ink (cans & bottles), we'd have to dob them with some ink remover stuff, wipe them off, stamp new prices, and put everything back. Jell-O sucked!! 🤣

image.jpeg.ba188b218493b28353bbd6dc8d7a9bb8.jpeg

boxes used the pricing gun.

ULINE Monarch 1110 One Line Label Gun Instructions - Manuals+

We would actually do this during the day (usually Sunday, unless there was a special ad), not over night.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I've heard many times (mostly on here) that sailing right before a drydock/non-rev sailing is usually not a good idea since they'll most likely start work beforehand, but Royal should absolutely have informed guests that this was going to happen.  My wife and I love the Solarium and if this was done with no notice we'd have been upset as well.

I get that it's not always possible (e.g. on sailings with group charters, it may not be possible to know beforehand which venues will be closed to non-charter folks), but at the very least, send out an email letting passengers know that certain areas may/will be closed and give them options for OBC or cancellation.

absolutely.  I never heard anything the sailing prior (not that I really paid attention as we kept to ourselves) on our Zuckerberg group which had 500 people in it.  I would have been pretty annoyed as well especially if I was one who visited the pools.  I would have been annoyed about Samba which I really liked on the Allure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Recently, my local grocery store changed all the base tags to some sort of colored eInk (I don't think they are regular LED) labels. They don't even have to walk the aisles to swap the base tags or put sales tags over anything anymore. It's 100% digital!

When I was in high school (mid 80's), I would sometimes do the weekly price changes. We'd have to pull everything off the shelves. Anything stamped with ink (cans & bottles), we'd have to dob them with some ink remover stuff, wipe them off, stamp new prices, and put everything back. Jell-O sucked!! 🤣

image.jpeg.ba188b218493b28353bbd6dc8d7a9bb8.jpeg

boxes used the pricing gun.

ULINE Monarch 1110 One Line Label Gun Instructions - Manuals+

We would actually do this during the day (usually Sunday, unless there was a special ad), not over night.

Never used the top marking gun, but used the bottom one for years and years. There was talk of the digital tags just before I retired from the Grocery Business.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

What does having a concierge have anything to do with the issue?   Those not in a suite, or those who don't have C&A status are inconvenienced as well. The concierge has NO authority to do anything in this situation, except maybe take your complaint.   I feel badly for the GS staff, but the company put them in a difficult situation.  Simple communication to passengers might have alleviated the  issues. 

M

A concierge can get through red tape and any other issues faster than standing in line at the ship's front desk.   And while they can't fix every problem, it's in their job description to grease the skids for loyal and suite passengers.
Communication from the company should have happened, but that shouldnt stop the company from continuing to fix a problem, if possible

7 hours ago, mek said:

Not dismissing the fact that many people are unhappy, just pointing out that it's probably no biggie for some.

Even the people who don’t spend time in the solarium can be affected when the places they do enjoy are swamped with the people who were displaced from the solarium. 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Even the people who don’t spend time in the solarium can be affected when the places they do enjoy are swamped with the people who were displaced from the solarium. 

Agree, but they are probably going to try to find somewhere outdoors in a lounge chair and that wouldn't affect people like me at all who never spend any time by the pools or on open decks except to just walk around.

The only point I was trying to make is I don't think Royal will do a blanket adjustment because disruptions like this might not bother everyone.  Had this happened on my cruise, I wouldn't  have given it a second thought.

Again, please don't think I'm dismissing the frustration and disappointment of those who do care.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Congrats. The adult only part if it is what matters to us. So we got shorted in that regard. Just got back from an excellent excursion in Puerto Plata. And for those that haven't been to Taino Bay it's a nice port. Huge pool and beach area overlooking the ship. Nice day today not having to battle 5800 people over 3 pools. 

Can you tell me what excursion you took that was great. Going there sokn.

These floating dry docks are nothing new. Way back in 2007 we were aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas and major renovations were being made during the cruise.

First off, the Windjammer was closed because it was being remodeled. While under way workers chipping away at the travertine flooring with hammers and chisels for hours on end. The cacophony of metal implements smashing tiles into bits rang throughout the forward elevator banks. This closure subsequently caused a major log jam in the MDR. Why? Because a makeshift buffet was installed down the entire center of the dining room during all meal service times. This in turn created a sea of humanity clamoring to get fed in one dining room, at the same time, resulting barely controlled chaos, atrocious service, a plethora of un-bussed tables and many flared tempers.

Elsewhere on the ship, they were replacing flooring in public areas and there were huge bolts of carpet and other flooring materials lashed down all over the ship. The stench of whatever adhesive they were using to glue down the flooring was practically inescapable and appallingly noxious.

But wait, there's more; The main pool was also closed because they were refinishing metal stanchions and wooden railings in the pool area and on the surrounding open decks, during the day, while underway.  So where did all the swimmers go?  Well, to the Solarium of course. Needless to say, it was not the idyllic, peaceful adults only paradise that the RCL marketing ads promised. Out by the main pool, the crew was using some highly volatile and odoriferous coatings in very close proximity to the passengers. Unbelievably, one of the crew was painting the railings in the smoking section right next to people who were there smoking. Fire and fumes, what could go wrong?

Boxes of materials, bolts of carpet and paint buckets were to be found all over the ship, and the work continued both day and night. They weren't even trying to be inconspicuous. We decided a more fitting name for the vessel would be the Rehab Her on the Seas or the Crapsody of the Seas. We made the best of it, but that ship should have been in dry dock with the amount of work being done. No compensation was offered on board, but after about 2 months of relentlessly dealing with shoreside customer service, they finally issued a 50% off coupon for a future sailing. 

Edited by footzz
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, footzz said:

These floating dry docks are nothing new. Way back in 2007 we were aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas and major renovations were being made during the cruise.

First off, the Windjammer was closed because it was being remodeled. While under way workers chipping away at the travertine flooring with hammers and chisels for hours on end. The cacophony of metal implements smashing tiles into bits rang throughout the forward elevator banks. This closure subsequently caused a major log jam in the MDR. Why? Because a makeshift buffet was installed down the entire center of the dining room during all meal service times. This in turn created a sea of humanity clamoring to get fed in one dining room, at the same time, resulting barely controlled chaos, atrocious service, a plethora of un-bussed tables and many flared tempers.

Elsewhere on the ship, they were replacing flooring in public areas and there were huge bolts of carpet and other flooring materials lashed down all over the ship. The stench of whatever adhesive they were using to glue down the flooring was practically inescapable and appallingly noxious.

But wait, there's more; The main pool was also closed because they were refinishing metal stanchions and wooden railings in the pool area and on the surrounding open decks, during the day, while underway.  So where did all the swimmers go?  Well, to the Solarium of course. Needless to say, it was not the idyllic, peaceful adults only paradise that the RCL marketing ads promised. Out by the main pool, the crew was using some highly volatile and odoriferous coatings in very close proximity to the passengers. Unbelievably, one of the crew was painting the railings in the smoking section right next to people who were there smoking. Fire and fumes, what could go wrong?

Boxes of materials, bolts of carpet and paint buckets were to be found all over the ship, and the work continued both day and night. They weren't even trying to be inconspicuous. We decided a more fitting name for the vessel would be the Rehab Her on the Seas or the Crapsody of the Seas. We made the best of it, but that ship should have been in dry dock with the amount of work being done. No compensation was offered on board, but after about 2 months of relentlessly dealing with shoreside customer service, they finally issued a 50% off coupon for a future sailing. 

That really sucks, but I love your descriptive writing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScubaCat3 said:

Solarium Bistro and Samba are now showing as available in the Royal app for the rest of the cruise. 

Good news!! I hope you enjoy Samba more than we did. In September it was awful.