Sailing from NY - need help!

cruiseat50

Hi,

Well I finally booked a cruise on the Gem (haven't been on her yet) going out of NY and have never been there at all so any hints/tips/help is appreciated.  We are sailing in March and will be going to Bermuda and Caribbean.  We usually book an aft suite but decided this time to get a forward suite so that we can see the Statue of Liberty as my mom did when she came over after WWII.  

I have read a few things on some of the other threads and some of the questions I have so far is... 

Is there only one cruise terminal or many so that I know what to tell the cabbie. 

I think we will stay in Manhattan one night prior to the cruise and any suggestions for a good hotel that hopefully is somewhat reasonable (security being the highest priority as we are both somewhat disabled).

What airport should we fly into - JFK or LaGuardia?  

We will stay a few days after the cruise and do some sightseeing and would like some suggestions other than ones we will probably go to Times Square, Empire State Building, maybe the Statue of Liberty.  We will definitely see a play while there and I have started doing that research.  We will not rent a car as I am the only one that can drive and I don't want that stress so will either take a cab or Uber.  Probably will not go on the subway as that seems a bit too scary for us but what about Central Park during the day of course?  Where should we stay - if Manhattan is too spendy for multiple days?

TIA for any help/suggestions

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

Is there only one cruise terminal or many so that I know what to tell the cabbie. 

The Gem will depart from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Pier 88, 12th Ave. and 48th St. (motor vehicle entrance is at 55th St. and 12th Ave. )

I think we will stay in Manhattan one night prior to the cruise and any suggestions for a good hotel that hopefully is somewhat reasonable (security being the highest priority as we are both somewhat disabled).

Suggest you ask this question on the East Coast Departures Board. First read some of the threads there. Lots of hotel recommendations.

You can fly into EWR, JFK or LGA. Choose your airport based on flight schedule and cost.

We will stay a few days after the cruise and do some sightseeing and would like some suggestions other than ones we will probably go to Times Square, Empire State Building, maybe the Statue of Liberty.  We will definitely see a play while there and I have started doing that research.  We will not rent a car as I am the only one that can drive and I don't want that stress so will either take a cab or Uber.  Probably will not go on the subway as that seems a bit too scary for us but what about Central Park during the day of course?  Where should we stay - if Manhattan is too spendy for multiple days?

Again a good question for East Coast Departures. Again lots of hotel recommendations there.

If you want to sightsee in Manhattan then stay in Manhattan. The time and money you'll spend traveling to and from Manhattan usually makes the money you will save on hotels by staying elsewhere a false economy. The only exception I might make would be to stay in Jersey City, but since you don't want to take the subway (the PATH train from Jersey City to Manhattan is essentially a subway) and since you're somewhat disabled your best bet is to stay in Manhattan.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

Why not try a NYC bus tour. This one takes you to so many of the popular places in the city. It's a 6 hour tour so you will be hitting all the places you seem to want to see without all the personal traveling around by cab or uber. Check it out. You can buy your tickets in advance. https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g60763-d11455174-New_York_in_One_Day_Guided_Sightseeing_Tour-New_York_City_New_York.html

• Like 2

I take the subway for work on a regular basis.

However, not all the subway stations are accessible. There are also buses.  If you can swing staying in Manhattan that would be best.

Definitely, check out the East Coast departures board for hotel recommendations.  We live in the area so don't usually stay at hotels.  We have enjoyed the bars and restaurant at the Marriott Marquis Times Square.  Make a dinner reservation at Tony DiNapoli and have some Juniors Cheesecake. 

Edited by Crazy planning mom

43 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can fly into EWR, JFK or LGA. Choose your airport based on flight schedule and cost.

Thank you all for your suggestions and I must have had a brain fart and forgot to post it over there.

Are they all about the same distance taxi/Uber wise?

According to Norwegian's website, currently their partnership hotel in New York City is Marriot Marquis (1535 Broadway).  Given that this is a major chain hotel, they can probably to suggest and  make arrangements for your sightseeing.

• Like 1

If you're coming in March, it will be cold. So a carriage ride may not be ideal, but today it was 75 degrees in November.... so you never know.

For broadway tickets, look into this: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths

You can't be too picky, but you'll save tons of money from the normal prices and get to check off NYC broadway from your bucket list.

As for central park, definitely safe during the day. But again, March.... cold. Lots of nooks and crannies hidden in there to see - tons of cool statues to hunt down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sculptures_in_Central_Park

If you're open to walking and the weather cooperates, look into visiting the high line: https://www.thehighline.org/ 

Right underneath at one end is the Chelsea market which is a fun experience with lots of food options.

Right next to the cruise pier is the Intrepid museum, which is also a nice easy thing to visit: https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Your-Visit

Times Square.... those of us in NY cringe when we hear people intentionally want to go there. I get it, but don't plan on being there more than 5 mins to climb the bleachers, take your photos, and move on. Just don't interact with the characters there unless you want to hand over lots of money to them. 5 mins to say you've been there, and then move on.

Again, if the weather cooperates, a visit to the little island is also another hidden fun NYC gem away from the hustle and bustle: https://littleisland.org/

Plus of course the endless museums, monuments, and various other things that make NYC amazing. Even grabbing a dirty water dog and sitting on a bench and people watching will be an experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions and I must have had a brain fart and forgot to post it over there.

LGA is the closest to midtown, but I'd use either of the other two airports if there were a substantial airfare savings in doing so, or if their flight schedules better suited your needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

Where should we stay - if Manhattan is too spendy for multiple days?

TIA for any help/suggestions

Hello there Tia!  I hope the following helps.

Port info is on the NCL site at https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/driving-directions iy is a very helpful page!

We prefer L
GA, but that or JFK would be fine. Pick the one that has flights to fit your needs and is the cheapest one available.

There are many hotels very close to the port.  We normally use Hilton properties.  For some of them you could actually walk to the port if you choose to do so.

We usually book an aft suite but decided this time to get a forward suite so that we can see the Statue of Liberty as my mom did when she came over after WWII.  

I sailed out of NYC last month.  Cabin doesn't matter.  We were on the pool deck watching the Statue of Liberty.  Bizarre thing.  Folks crowded to take photos as we approached but then walked away while we were sailing right past, with the best views.  People are strange.

We flew into LGA.  Nice airport and easy to/from.  We just stayed at a Hyatt nearby with free shuttle.  Effortless.

We will not rent a car as I am the only one that can drive and I don't want that stress so will either take a cab or Uber. 

After riding to MTC in an UBER and from MTC in a cab, I would never, Never, NEVER even think of trying to drive in NYC.  You mention stress.  This is WAY beyond that.  That said, as a rider, it bordered on "fun." 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you're coming in March, it will be cold. So a carriage ride may not be ideal, but today it was 75 degrees in November.... so you never know.

For broadway tickets, look into this: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths

You can't be too picky, but you'll save tons of money from the normal prices and get to check off NYC broadway from your bucket list.

Thank you so much!  Now the hard part is picking from so many that I would like to see.  I may have to stay a couple more days... $$ oh well, this is probably going to be a once in a lifetime visit.

1 hour ago, The Black Page said:

Hello there Tia!  I hope the following helps.

Port info is on the NCL site at https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/driving-directions iy is a very helpful page!

We prefer L
GA, but that or JFK would be fine. Pick the one that has flights to fit your needs and is the cheapest one available.

There are many hotels very close to the port.  We normally use Hilton properties.  For some of them you could actually walk to the port if you choose to do so.

Thank you for this as I had never seen this before and will be useful in many ports!

Thanks again everyone this has been so helpful and I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

After riding to MTC in an UBER and from MTC in a cab, I would never, Never, NEVER even think of trying to drive in NYC.  You mention stress.  This is WAY beyond that.  That said, as a rider, it bordered on "fun." 😎

Believe me it was never going to be an option as I would be completely intimidated.  Although, I know it is crazy driving there I really don't think it was nearly as crazy as getting around in Tehran for 3 years as those drivers are completely devoneh!  (Crazy in Farsi)

March might not be that cold - in any case the best way to experience the sail away is on deck, port side as you slide past Manhattan, then starboard as you pass the statue, then on as high a deck as you can reach as you go under the Verrazano Bridge — you will miss a lot just trying to see it from your cabin.

LaGuardia is the closest airport and, since its recent total rebuild, a delight to navigate — of course lower fares might be possible with - Newark is a third place choice.

Hopefully you won’t have too many Spring Break yahoos on your sailing.  My last NCL sailing was on Gem - around Presidents’ Day break and the ship was swarming with high school kids.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Buy your SOL tickets in advance, at the least get pedestal tickets. Ellis island is so interesting, definitely get the headphones for the audio tour. This could be a downtown day. I’ve driven in the city hundreds of time, doesn’t bother me at all, but a car is actually a hindrance. My family just drove in this morning to see my niece run the marathon and found on street parking, which is a miracle. Took the bus yesterday.

13 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

We usually suggest to get the best deal on airfare. Technically LGA is the closest and the Uber will most likely be the less expensive. 

We always fly into lga when visiting New York City, our favorite hotel is michealanglo boutique hotel with extremely large rooms 400 sq ft or larger , great location walking distance to restaurants, entertainment, attractions,  about a half of mile from pier. 

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Buy your SOL tickets in advance, at the least get pedestal tickets. Ellis island is so interesting, definitely get the headphones for the audio tour. This could be a downtown day. I’ve driven in the city hundreds of time, doesn’t bother me at all, but a car is actually a hindrance. My family just drove in this morning to see my niece run the marathon and found on street parking, which is a miracle. Took the bus yesterday.

Just got up a few minutes ago and took me a minute to figure out what SOL was.😴  But where do I buy the tickets from and what are pedestal tickets?

1 hour ago, cruiseat50 said:

Just got up a few minutes ago and took me a minute to figure out what SOL was.😴  But where do I buy the tickets from and what are pedestal tickets?

There is one company that ferries folks to the islands, statue cruises, you buy tickets online. There are 2 different tickets for the statue, the pedestal gets you inside the base of the statue (and access to nice restrooms, plus great views), the crown ticket gives access to a staircase going up. 

1 hour ago, altarr said:

OMG, do NOT fly  into EWR to leave from Manhattan. Please do not do this.

Care to tell us why? 

But be forewarned...it better be good and factual, not a lot of exaggerated drama. Starting your post with "OMG" is strike one. Ending it with "Please do not do this" is strike two.

I'm am going to disagree on selecting the airport based on the lowest fare. Choose your flights based on total cost. EWR may well have the lowest airfare, but it could have the highest transportation cost overall. People frequently post on this board asking about ground transportation and find out the $50 per person they saved on airfare into Newark is going to be dramatically eclipsed by the difference in ground transportation cost. There's nothing wrong with flying into EWR to go to Manhattan. You just need to understand it may be a more expensive or complicated trip. For those who can easily handle their own bags, you have rail options into Midtown, for instance. But add those costs into your plans when picking your flights.

Less of an issue if you're only looking at LGA and JFK, but for someone comparing all three airports and not realizing the differences in distance and ground transportation costs, it can really add up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Care to tell us why? 

But be forewarned...it better be good and factual, not a lot of exaggerated drama. Starting your post with "OMG" is strike one. Ending it with "Please do not do this" is strike two.

Transportation from LGA to Manhattan is usually a whole lot easier/cheaper than from EWR;  since the recent rebuild LGA is an attractive, well laid out facility which is generally much easier to navigate.

No drama, just fact.

• Like 1