Port or Starboard, do you care?

EngIceDave

Always book starboard for whatever reason.  I guess it's because my brain usually defaults to the right when looking at things for the first time?  Not really sure.  Don't have a particular reason for picking starboard but we just always have.

• Like 1

If in a balcony, think about which side will have the sunset and sunrise. Usually wake up early on first half then want to see sunset coming home. So, for most Caribbean cruises, stay on port side for sunrise heading south and then sunset when heading home-north. 

Port side.

Ship tends to alternate which side when mooring, so there is usually no safe bet with this.

• Like 3

We recently took a 16 day cruise Seattle to Miami.  Since we had a balcony cabin we chose the starboard side so our cabin was darker in the mornings and had the sunsets for about 2/3's of the trip.  Sometimes it doesn't matter to us but this time it did.

• Like 2

I pick whichever side is non-smoking side.  My only exceptions are if I know we are cruising past a specific landmark I wanted to see such as the Statue of Liberty going out of NY (we pass it too early coming back into NY) , or the Na'apali coast in Hawaii.  

• Like 3

I usually think in terms of which side will have a sunrise view and which side will have a sunset view. Which side do I want going towards our destination - I like a sunset view; and which side will have a sunrise view when returning home. 🌅

• Like 1

Another thing to think about...sunrise or sunsets?

Look at your departure port and are you heading south or north?

If heading south, and you are on port side, you’ll get sunrise every morning, and no sunsets...until you start heading back home.  The opposite is true for starboard.

If you take port, you’ll get that last night sunset.

its really your personal preference, no significant advantage either side, but always check one deck up and one deck below when booking...ya don’t want to book a cabin above or below a bar or music venue...

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, ObstructedView2 said:

Port 👍

Picsart-22-11-10-11-55-14-757.jpg

Off topic question.....which ship was this on?

Side note....whichever side has the best cabin location....been on both...just happy to be on a cruise!

Edited by bluesea4me
added info