Do I Really Need to Print Set Sail Pass?

THREE QUESTIONS:

1) My cruise docs say that our set sail passes must be printed. I thought the whole point of using the app and having the digital version was to avoid all the printed pieces of paper. Can anyone confirm whether the digital version suffices or if I'll have to fill everything out again if I don't print it?

2) I got this email today (below) making a big point of saying we'll be turned away if we show up before our assigned arrival time. Does this get sent to everyone on every cruise even though they don't seem to enforce anything? Or is this new and they're really going to enforce boarding times? (Miami)

I have an early boarding time so I'm hoping they enforce it, because the whole reason I made sure to get an early time was to get in the terminal and onto the ship first-ish in order to book dining and shows, and I'll be really annoyed if people who aren't supposed to show up until later are let on at the same time. 

3) If I get on the ship early, can I get off to meet my daughter whose arriving later than me? I have her passport, but would rather not wait for her to arrive to check-in (see #2 above).

4F2A740F-7EE1-48A5-AD4A-3D8B679A84FC.thumb.jpeg.b1835b1642f9fbeced666d3369cd8d21.jpeg758A283B-6DE5-45D1-8BA4-8EF80695AECC.thumb.jpeg.e7b6394d1ad0f94d2220656def8301da.jpeg

Edited by ARandomTraveler

4 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

No you do not need to print.  I never do.

On 3 cruises since restart from European ports, no times were enforced.  Others can speak to Miami.

Most people have reported that times are not enforced (especially in Miami). I'm mostly wondering if the email that says they'll turn people away is a new thing they're trying, or if that's just a boiler plate e-mail they always send, in hopes that it deters people, but that really means nothing. 

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

1) My cruise docs say that our set sail passes must be printed. I thought the whole point of using the app and having the digital version was to avoid all the printed pieces of paper. Can anyone confirm whether the digital version suffices or if I'll have to fill everything out again if I don't print it?

2) I got this email today (below) making a big point of saying we'll be turned away if we show up before our assigned arrival time. Does this get sent to everyone on every cruise even though they don't seem to enforce anything? Or is this new and they're really going to enforce boarding times? (Miami)

I have an early boarding time so I'm hoping they enforce it, because the whole reason I made sure to get an early time was to get in the terminal and onto the ship first-ish in order to book dining and shows, and I'll be really annoyed if people who aren't supposed to show up until later are let on at the same time. 

3) If I get on the ship early, can I get off to meet my daughter whose arriving later than me? I have her passport, but would rather not wait for her to arrive to check-in (see #2 above).

1) We always have a printed copy. You can't aways count on getting to your digital copy and will be using that set sail pass until you get your real cards when your room is available. Need to be able to get to those drinks as soon as you embark. 

2) Nope. Not enforced. It is a free for all, especially for those who arrive early since the terminal will get crowded with people coming before their check-in time. 

3) The two gangways are normally for boarding, crowded with people and luggage trying to get on to the ship. Not sure why you wouldn't just send your kid their passport today. 

I haven't printed anything in several cruises.  I have the app and I also put the set sail passes in my iPhone wallet and take a screen shot in case the app/internet fails.  My wife also has the app and screen shots of the set sail passes, in case my entire phone fails.  If both of our phones die, they can always find you in the computer when checking in.  Just takes longer.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Please Google "Murphy's Law".  😉 

I always print out the Set Sail pass as a back up.  Actually faster than pulling out my phone, finding the page, juggling the thing with my carry on stuff....

Passport pack folder:  Passport, Covid vax card, Set Sail pass (trimmed to a 1/3rd page).  Hand pack over to agent, done in seconds...easy peasy.  

Tigari Passport and Vaccine Card Holder Combo

• Like 13

August 2022 at the Port of Miami to The Key line because the app wouldn't load, as there wasn't a cell signal from T-Mobil.  There was no budging of the gatekeeper's part nor offer to get someone to check a list.  Not until someone else helped me connect to WiFi at the port was I able to get in the app to produce my sea pass.

Since then, prior to leaving home, I take a screenshot to ensure I have something to show.  And given RCI's shaky website and app... where cruises won't load... I usually take an immediate screenshot when I complete online check-in just to make sure I have something.

• Like 2

In reality all you need to get on the ship is your photo id and passport or original (or certified copy) for a closed loop cruise. It may take you a few minutes more for them to process you at the terminal, but I have seen it done when people arrive without any of the cruise docs.

• Like 4

Murphys Law:

me standing behind the extended family of ten while the planner in the group scrolls left right left again to find the correct seapass to show for each person and;

me standing in line to get a drink behind the guy who left his phone with his wife and starts screaming “honey, what’s our cabin number?!!!”

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, poocher said:

Murphys Law:

me standing behind the extended family of ten while the planner in the group scrolls left right left again to find the correct seapass to show for each person and;

me standing in line to get a drink behind the guy who left his phone with his wife and starts screaming “honey, what’s our cabin number?!!!”

These are the same people that take 10 minutes to find their seat and stow their bags on a plane, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, poocher said:

Murphys Law:

Exactly this.  😉   ^

5 minutes ago, poocher said:

Murphys Law:

No different than getting behind someone with some cutesy little folder that doesn't have the common courtesy to take the items out for the check in person.

• Like 5

When I walk up to go into the terminal, I have the app open with my set sail pass ready to go. 13 cruises since August, 2021 and check in has been fast and easy, never more than a few minutes. I am always amazed at how quick it is.

I have yet to be behind anyone  struggling to find it on their phone, I have been behind people shuffling papers and/or dropping them. 😂

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 4

Common courtesy being the thread.  I have my passport, vax card & set sail pass in a clear holder.  Everyone holds their own.  Fast & easy,  BUT, as you point out, no method is idiot/jerk proof.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

No different than getting behind someone with some cutesy little folder that doesn't have the common courtesy to take the items out for the check in person.

The check in agent has never ever..ever once asked me to take the Covid card or passport out of the folder.  When I have it flipped open, the passport is on picture page.  I do slip the set sail pass out to hand to the agent with the pack.  

Who you callin' "cutesy by the way.   😄 

When presenting to customs officer, we always take the passport out of the holder.....out and ready to hand to officer.  

This is not my first rodeo.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

LOL  We have a passport holder too, have had one for years.  We do not give the holder to any check in person, whether it be an airport, cruiseport, TSA line or anywhere, we just open passports to picture page and hand them over.  All check in people are used to dealing with set sail passes and boarding passes on phones as that has been going on for years.  It isn't rocket science.  Do what works for you and don't get in line behind large families or people with cutesy folders! 😱😁

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

1) We always have a printed copy. You can't aways count on getting to your digital copy and will be using that set sail pass until you get your real cards when your room is available. Need to be able to get to those drinks as soon as you embark. 

2) Nope. Not enforced. It is a free for all, especially for those who arrive early since the terminal will get crowded with people coming before their check-in time. 

3) The two gangways are normally for boarding, crowded with people and luggage trying to get on to the ship. Not sure why you wouldn't just send your kid their passport today. 

My daughter was supposed to fly from

College to home, and then fly with me to Miami, but she had a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something cool in New York, so she's flying in from there.  Her passport was at home, and I didn't trust that it would get to her on time through the mail, and didn't want it to get lost.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have her passport, but would rather not wait for her to arrive to check-in (see #2 above).

If you have her passport, she needs it to start the embark process.  She probably wouldn't be allowed in the terminal w/o showing a travel document proving citizenship.  I think you need to wait for her to give her the passport.

• Like 1