lanyards

xray0111

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Just go to guest services or even the excursion desk if it's busy and ask...

grandeur.jpg

On Allure this week we went to GS to have ours punched.  We used to laugh at people who used lanyards, but now we’ve joined them after discovering how much handier it is.  To each their own - not necessary to put others down for using them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I don't think that the grandeur has RFID locks.

It didn't matter on our Symphony and Allure cruises either, these were all post pandemic, I have never had them refuse to punch it on any ship.  I have all my cards, I keep them to introduce my picture file from each ship, they all have punches.  And some of them were the oblong punch.  This goes back to 2006.  I could include the pics, but nah....you'll just have to take my word for it.  But hey, just sayin...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

And on ships which use RFID card stock (about half the fleet) you’ll be told no. 

Well when challenged I just have to defend myself.  I don't know what anybody else's experience is, I guess they just like me on all my ships.  These are from Vision right up to Allure Symphony, Freedom and everything in between...Don't know what cardstock they are either and don't care.

cards.jpg

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Well when challenged I just have to defend myself.  I don't know what anybody else's experience is, I guess they just like me on all my ships.  These are from Vision right up to Allure Symphony, Freedom and everything in between...Don't know what cardstock they are either and don't care.

cards.jpg

I do not see a single RFID card in this stack, sooooooooo............................

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I take a whole punch of my own.  It takes a little effort to put the hole in the card but it can be done.  Someone posted a picture, in a different thread a while ago, of a high intensity light/flashlight behind the card and you can see the electronic stuff inside, punch where there is no evidence of electronic stuff.

I would never go that far, I just ask them and they do it, they don't give me information on high tech, they just hand me a punched card.  I wouldn't know one from a cow patty...sooooooo

OK I shined my torch at all of them and I do think I see the lines through the Symphony card, hard to tell cuz its such a dark blue, but they punched it, they must know where to do it!  It is in the upper right hand corner above the anchor.  All I'm saying is that they have never told me no.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We are doing Odyssey in two weeks, I'll bet it has that RFID stuff since you wave it in front of the door, right?  Gosh I hope they punch that one.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath. 

Sleeves work well to hang them on a lanyard, etc..

We did the transpacific on Ovation a month ago and they wouldn't punch holes in those cards. I had taken an old lanyard after being told on the Facebook group that holes would be in the card already. Ovation still had some leftovers from the Alaska trips with a plastic sleeve that had a ziplock across the top so the card wouldn't fall out and also had a metal anchor on it that had enough weight to stop it flapping around in the wind so I grabbed a couple of those. Didn't have to take it out of the sleeve at all. Some people had to replace their cards 3-4 times because the film kept peeling off.

There was another lady we sat with at dinner who was so determined to have a hole in her card that she brought along her own hole punch. She had already been told no by guest services but did it anyway. Guess what? It stopped the card from opening her door so she had to go and get another one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don't use lanyards, but from this question being asked so often, the answer is they generally will not punch a hole in the RFID cards b/c it could damage the chip.

Our last cruise was on Allure in August an no issues getting cards punched.  Lanyards are the easiest way to carry card!

1 hour ago, ShazM said:

We did the transpacific on Ovation a month ago and they wouldn't punch holes in those cards. I had taken an old lanyard after being told on the Facebook group that holes would be in the card already. Ovation still had some leftovers from the Alaska trips with a plastic sleeve that had a ziplock across the top so the card wouldn't fall out and also had a metal anchor on it that had enough weight to stop it flapping around in the wind so I grabbed a couple of those. Didn't have to take it out of the sleeve at all. Some people had to replace their cards 3-4 times because the film kept peeling off.

There was another lady we sat with at dinner who was so determined to have a hole in her card that she brought along her own hole punch. She had already been told no by guest services but did it anyway. Guess what? It stopped the card from opening her door so she had to go and get another one.

FWIW, you really only need the film layer when going through port security

On 11/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, xray0111 said:

I know this has been discussed many times but I can't find it doing a search.

Will they punch a hole in the onboard charge card when boarding so that you can attach it to a lanyard?  We have the protective clear holders but prefer the other.  Just starting to pack for our Odyssey of the Seas and trying not to pack anything we won't need or use.  

Thanks, XRAY

You know the answer, and if you did not, than why would you already have a clear holder.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, xray0111 said:

I know this has been discussed many times but I can't find it doing a search.

Will they punch a hole in the onboard charge card when boarding so that you can attach it to a lanyard?  We have the protective clear holders but prefer the other.  Just starting to pack for our Odyssey of the Seas and trying not to pack anything we won't need or use.  

Thanks, XRAY

They won’t punch a hole in the card on Odyssey.