Medallions

tigger54

Just wondering. How do we get our medallions? We have a cruise on February 18 on the Sky. Do we have to order them and if so how and when? We have only cruised Princess once and that was before Covid and I can’t remember how we got the medallions. Also, can we check in online when the time comes or do we have to do it on the medallions? It sounds like people are having a lot of problems with them.

Thank you

4 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Just wondering. How do we get our medallions? We have a cruise on February 18 on the Sky. Do we have to order them and if so how and when? We have only cruised Princess once and that was before Covid and I can’t remember how we got the medallions. Also, can we check in online when the time comes or do we have to do it on the medallions? It sounds like people are having a lot of problems with them.

Thank you

have you downloaded the Medallion app?

You can order them either on the medallion app or their website. The medallions arrive about two weeks before the cruise. I got a notice of shipping on Monday with a tracking number. Our cruise is Dec. 18. I had ordered shortly after booking.

• Like 1

Thank you. I just ordered the medallions. I guess I am getting confused between the Princess app and the medallion and which does what. If I have it correct, I get us all registered and do checkin on the app then use the medallion on the ship to open the cabin door and order drinks and such. Is that correct?

22 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Thank you. I just ordered the medallions. I guess I am getting confused between the Princess app and the medallion and which does what. If I have it correct, I get us all registered and do checkin on the app then use the medallion on the ship to open the cabin door and order drinks and such. Is that correct?

You do NOT use the Medallion to order food and drinks; you can order food and drinks on-board through your cell phone using the Princess "app."  You use the Medallion to open your cabin door, and you use the Medallion to PAY for the drinks that you have ordered -- whether the order was done in person or on the "app."  You also use the Medallion for purchases from the gift stores -- the ships are cashless and you charge everything to your account using the Medallion.  

If it is working properly, the bartender/server, store clerks, etc. will ID you and your cabin number without you even taking the Medallion out of your pocket!

You can use a device (cell phone) to order food and drinks on board delivered to wherever you are on the ship. That is one option. You can also place Ocean Now orders via your cabin TV or from the screens around the ship. Another option is to just ask a waiter or bar tender for your drinks. The waiter will remotely read your medallion and charge the drinks to your account. You can also show up in person at food locations like the International Cafe, Salty Dog Grill, Slices Pizza to just order and pick up what you like. You need to carry your medallion with you. You do not need to carry a cell phone around with you if you don't wish to.

If you order room service I suggest doing it on the TV. That way you get a picture of what you are ordering. We had friends who ordered Chicken Strips and Chips. On the TV you could plainly see that "chips" meant American chips (potato chips). Our friend ordered it on her phone and, being Canadian, expected the "chips" to be what we call French Fries. She was unhappy because she ordered "chips" and they brought her "crisps". Had she ordered from the TV she would have been able to see what she was ordering and could have gotten some Fries (chips to her).

In May we found room service for both food and beverages to be very fast - maybe 10 minutes from order to delivery.

• Like 1

The Medalian is a small disk with an RFID device.  The medalian replaced the cruise card. So the ship knows where you are, and as you get near your room, it unlocks your door.  It allows the serves to see your picture, so IF you order a drink, they know roughly where you are , and what you look like (and if you have the package or if your account gets billed).

The AP allows you to do a lot of things on the cell phone (like order the medalians!).  On the ap, you can make reservations for your 'dine your way' so that you can pick a restaurant and time.  It shows the ship map, can locate  your travel mates, show you the day's agenda, and those sorts of things. 

4 hours ago, tigger54 said:

Thank you

Via MedallionClass app, you can complete online check-in, order your medallion for either delivery (if you have a US address for them to be delivered to if you want them delivered prior to sailing) or to pick up at port, same as old cruise cards (only option for anyone out of the US anyway).  

You do have to order them for delivery, it's not automatic.

You can complete online check-in via app or cruise personalizer online..

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

If you order room service I suggest doing it on the TV. That way you get a picture of what you are ordering. We had friends who ordered Chicken Strips and Chips. On the TV you could plainly see that "chips" meant American chips (potato chips). Our friend ordered it on her phone and, being Canadian, expected the "chips" to be what we call French Fries. She was unhappy because she ordered "chips" and they brought her "crisps". Had she ordered from the TV she would have been able to see what she was ordering and could have gotten some Fries (chips to her).

In May we found room service for both food and beverages to be very fast - maybe 10 minutes from order to delivery.

Your Canadian friend must be a very new Canadian!.  French fries have been just that since I arrived on these shores in 1968.  ....and yes (potatoe) chips in Canada are what Brits call crisps.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, racj846 said:

Your Canadian friend must be a very new Canadian!.  French fries have been just that since I arrived on these shores in 1968.  ....and yes (potatoe) chips in Canada are what Brits call crisps.

I'm 69 and she's older than me. She was born in Canada so not exactly a "new" Canadian. It seems odd to me that people her age had to learn to convert to the metric system but are now used to using Celsius, etc.. They do still understand Fahrenheit though. Our other Canadian friends were born in Holland but have lived in Canada for many (many!) years. One of them (the man) has been pretty well known on these boards but doesn't post much anymore. Both sets of friends are really nice people we met through cruising but only one couple (with the guy who was quite well known here on these boards) we met through Cruise Critic.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:23 PM, tigger54 said:

Thank you

We choose to have them mailed on the app. Our cruise is Dec10th and received them 3 days ago.

We had issues getting the medalians delivered. They sent an email with a useless tracking number and when I called (because we had not received them OR use the tracking number)  the helper told us that they were mailed to the port and we could pick it up there.

We were at the port early and had to wait for security, but once through security, we went right to the front of the Elite line and had the medalians within 5 minutes I think (no lines for us, anyway).  No promises that will continue in the future if they dont mail them as they currently plan!

They have now announced upcoming changes, as one person mentioned above.  They are increasing the cost of the Plus and Premier packages  (as well as small increases in crew appreciation/tips, etc.)

If you don't have a Package that includes the perk of having the medallion mailed to you, then there will be a $10.00 fee to request delivery. 

To me, the whole 'Medallion Class' is all about the automated convenience.  Not having to wait in lines, etc.   So, I am one who liked that it was sent to me, and I could just walk on the ship.   The lines might not be that long or time consuming.   But, that is one less line to deal with! 

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

To me, the whole 'Medallion Class' is all about the automated convenience.  Not having to wait in lines, etc.   So, I am one who liked that it was sent to me, and I could just walk on the ship.   The lines might not be that long or time consuming.

I guess is that most people aren't willing to pay $10 for that convenience. 

We shall see.