Is it really acceptable to treat single travellers like this?

iandjm

5 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think it is unfair that solo cruisers have to pay for 2 beverage packages and 2 WiFi connections. I'm not so sure about the gratuities.

I agree. It is absolutely unfair for a solo traveller to pay twice as much for beverages and wifi; a solo traveler is unlikely to consume twice the average amount. As for gratuities, the tipped workload is not halved for a solo versus a pair. It is, perhaps, cut by a small percentage. 

The gratuities go more directly to the hard-working crew. They should not be penalized with a 50% lower gratuity amount for nearly the same amount of work. They wont scrub half the toilet, half the shower... make half the bed. Carrying one dish or beverage isn't really half the work of carrying two.

Beverage and wifi costs are borne by the corporation, and I feel confident that there is plenty of profit based on the per-passenger prices. Doubling that charge reeks not only of unfairness, but also of greed. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iandjm said:

I agree. It’s a nice work around but I still have a problem with the blatant discrimination.  I would like to be able to have the full drinks package. Tips and WiFi included at the promotional rate , as offered to everyone else, without having to pay double for it.  

Yeah, it seems just like you have to pay the single supplement for the cabin, you have to pay the single supplement for the package(s).   I suppose they reason it applies to a double occupancy just like the fares are based on double occupancy.   I guess the same fairness issue could be argued for a double occupancy where one of the occupants does not drink alcohol.  So it is not just solos who are impacted by the pricing.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iandjm said:

Hi all.

I frequently cruise with Celebrity Cruises as a solo traveller. I appreciate and understand we pay twice in order to have our own stateroom unless a single room is available. Since celebrity have separated the all inclusive fares you are quoted a price for the stateroom and an add on supplement to have drinks tips and WiFi included at a rate for the entire cruise. For example £400 per person.  Sadly, in the case of the single traveller, we are made to pay the same supplement for drinks, tips and Wi-Fi as two people.  So I would also be expected to pay £800 extra.  Surely this cannot be right and is blatant discrimination against single travellers?
Oddly enough 
if a single room is available you only are expected to pay one supplement for the drinks tips and WiFi add on ie £400.
Surely paying twice for the stateroom if occupying a regular room should cover the fact you are a single traveller, and you should not be hit again by having to pay double supplement for what is one persons drinks tips and WiFi?

I have been in contact with the Celebrity cruises Executive office and they seemed surprised but have not done anything about it. 

We have sailed with Celebrity many times and my sister in law is a solo traveller and has only ever booked a balcony she pays for double occupancy minus the tax and has only ever paid for 1 drinks, wifi and tips package.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, florence11 said:

We have sailed with Celebrity many times and my sister in law is a solo traveller and has only ever booked a balcony she pays for double occupancy minus the tax and has only ever paid for 1 drinks, wifi and tips package.

How has she managed that?  If you look on the website it automatically adds the cost of two peoples add on. I can’t see that being any different over the phone / via an agent.  Would be interested to hear how she achieves this 😁

Edited by iandjm

14 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

You're not able to add AI onboard. You can add the individual components like the wifi and drink package. No way they would charge you double onboard for these items.

I agree that this is an issue they should look into. They would have to modify their rate code system to allow for AI to be added to a solo traveler in a 2+ occupancy room.

FYI, recently they increased the price of booking at the all included rate effectively making the AI not worthwhile unless you plan on utilizing both the internet and drinks package.

Also take into account that many people don't even come out "ahead" with the drink package.

Moral of the story, you're not missing out on much if anything by not having an AI rate for 1 and you always have the option of adding these items on pre-cruise if you want.

Most people don't come out ahead on a drinks package if they did X would either have to increase the price or drop the package. 

12 hours ago, florence11 said:

Was this before the introduction of AI?

20 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I agree. It is absolutely unfair for a solo traveller to pay twice as much for beverages and wifi; a solo traveler is unlikely to consume twice the average amount. As for gratuities, the tipped workload is not halved for a solo versus a pair. It is, perhaps, cut by a small percentage. 

The gratuities go more directly to the hard-working crew. They should not be penalized with a 50% lower gratuity amount for nearly the same amount of work. They wont scrub half the toilet, half the shower... make half the bed. Carrying one dish or beverage isn't really half the work of carrying two.

Beverage and wifi costs are borne by the corporation, and I feel confident that there is plenty of profit based on the per-passenger prices. Doubling that charge reeks not only of unfairness, but also of greed. 

Sorry I know i am new to the Celebrity Board..But have sailed most of my life in Single Supplement

Cabins..Royal/ Carnival only charges me one gratuity per cabin and doesn't charge the "Ghost" guest one..Should i pay two Gratuity's charge for a single or did i totally not understand what you said?

Thanks

Edited by ArmyCop42
cor

3 minutes ago, ArmyCop42 said:

Sorry I know i am new to the Celebrity Board..But have sailed most of my life in Single Supplement

Cabins..Royal/ Carnival only charges me one gratuity per cabin and doesn't charge the "Ghost" guest one..Should i pay two Gratuity's charge for a single or did i totally not understand what you said?

Thanks

I'm not a big fan of telling others what they "should" do. 

I do think that double gratuities are fair in a cabin designed for two people. 

You might consider tipping extra, if you feel it is warranted. Only you can decide what is best for you. I certainly would not fault anyone who pays what the cruiseline charges, and not more. 

My point was simply that the workload for serving a cabin or table occupied by one person is not half of that for two. In my view, the cruiseline charging for two, and not decreasing the pool from which tips are paid to the crew, seems fair. I think it is unfair for the cruiseline to charge double for consumables like beverages or internet access.

I hope I have clarified. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

I'm not a big fan of telling others what they "should" do. 

I do think that double gratuities are fair in a cabin designed for two people. 

You might consider tipping extra, if you feel it is warranted. Only you can decide what is best for you. I certainly would not fault anyone who pays what the cruiseline charges, and not more. 

My point was simply that the workload for serving a cabin or table occupied by one person is not half of that for two. In my view, the cruiseline charging for two, and not decreasing the pool from which tips are paid to the crew, seems fair. I think it is unfair for the cruiseline to charge double for consumables like beverages or internet access.

I hope I have clarified. 

Ok. Thanks for the clarification!! I have never seen any cruise line charge, double charges for a Single..Must be a sailing out of Europe?...I tip extremely well, usually Dollar a drink and that's soda

Since I sail Solo, i spend a lot of time talking to the Crew in the shops and my favorite bar. You learn a lot about them and the "System"...and always take care of Room Service usually a fiver...and of course a some "Extra" to my cabin Steward...😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArmyCop42 said:

Ok. Thanks for the clarification!! I have never seen any cruise line charge, double charges for a Single..Must be a sailing out of Europe?...I tip extremely well, usually Dollar a drink and that's soda

Since I sail Solo, i spend a lot of time talking to the Crew in the shops and my favorite bar. You learn a lot about them and the "System"...and always take care of Room Service usually a fiver...and of course a some "Extra" to my cabin Steward...😀

By the way, your screen name makes me smile. My late brother was an Army MP.

• Like 1

I agree it's discrimination but what's the problem with that?

They are just indicating they don't what solo cruisers' business. So don't give them your business. 

Solo travellers get what they want, cheaper cruises by sailing with another line and Celebrity get's what they want. Issued solved. 

On 12/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, goofysmom99 said:

No balcony and a bit too bijou for me.  Guess I'm stuck with continuing to pay double or occasionally finding a decent single supplement, although those are becoming rarer.

In E-Class, the single rooms very small but they do have balconies. Or at least they do if you consider the "Infinite Verandas" to be balconies.  They are advertised as 142 square foot plus 42 square foot balcony.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I saw a video of one of those.  They're small and have no drawers and very little storage.  No thanks.

Myself, and two other solo friends each booked these on the Spring Edge 14-day Transatlantic. We each ended up playing the MoveUp game and bid $220 (minimum was $200) to Concierge Class. While there’s no guarantee of success every time, it was a great workaround to paying 200% and sailing in a standard size stateroom. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BEAV said:

Myself, and two other solo friends each booked these on the Spring Edge 14-day Transatlantic. We each ended up playing the MoveUp game and bid $220 (minimum was $200) to Concierge Class. While there’s no guarantee of success every time, it was a great workaround to paying 200% and sailing in a standard size stateroom. 

But didn't that mean you really paid $440 for the move-up? When I looked into bidding on my Feb cruise the terms made it clear that the bid was PER PERSON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY so solos would pay 200% of their bid.

11 hours ago, BEAV said:

I wouldn't want to take the chance of being stuck in one of those cabins.  Particularly for a 14-night cruise!

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But didn't that mean you really paid $440 for the move-up? When I looked into bidding on my Feb cruise the terms made it clear that the bid was PER PERSON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY so solos would pay 200% of their bid.

Sorry, no. The minimum bid to CC was $100 per person, thus $200 for us solos. 

52 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I wouldn't want to take the chance of being stuck in one of those cabins.  Particularly for a 14-night cruise!

Understand. We were simply fortunate, but I wouldn’t count on it in every instance. With the ship lightly booked at the time, we felt it was a good roll of the dice! 

• Like 3