Harmony food.

98TUNNER

Hello everyone we are just off of the harmony.  The ship,shows and service were great. BUT the food in the Windjammer and main dinning were less then desirable. This is our first oasis class ship, all other classes have been great until this one. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 98TUNNER said:

Hello everyone we are just off of the harmony.  The ship,shows and service were great. BUT the food in the Windjammer and main dinning were less then desirable. This is our first oasis class ship, all other classes have been great until this one. 

Would you care to expand on how it was "less than desirable?" 

"Input, need more input". -  Johnny Five

8 hours ago, 98TUNNER said:

I just boarded yesterday, and I'm glad I purchased the UDP.  I had an absolutely delicious filet from Chops at The Key lunch on embarkation.  The others at my table who have eaten the same meal on other ships agreed that we had good cuts of meat yesterday.  And dinner in Izumi hibachi last night was entertaining and tasty.

But those positive words are not in any way a contradiction to your post:  my recent bad Windjammer experiences on both Liberty and Freedom during crowded cruises mean I might not ever go near WJ on Harmony.  And another post about slow service in the MDR on Harmony makes me want to avoid it as well.

What were some of the standout fails for you on your cruise?

15 hours ago, 98TUNNER said:

Sadly we had the same experience.  Someone I met said something about them losing their original food suppliers during Covid.  We even ate at 4 specialty restaurants and did not feel that it was worth it this time.  We went to Windjammer once and never again.  Needless to say, we were all very disappointed in the food this time around.  Also the ship was full and I don't think they were prepared for this, you could feel the staff shortages.  We did speak with a lot of staff who were new and just learning.  That aside, all in all we did have great weather and got to sail with great friends AND... we were on Vacation!

We were on Harmony a few weeks ago. We eat all our meals in the Windjammer-it just fits our vacation lifestyle better.

I have to agree about the offerings, tho. We're used to a huge salad bar and Harmony's was very scaled down. Some lettuce, 2 types of cheese, some other stuff. We could tell they were catering to the kids. Every lunch and dinner included chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, fries along with hot dogs & hamburgers. I think Taco fixings were available every day. While I don't mind offering a menu for the kids (there were A LOT), it left little room for other things and they too were a mixed bag of weirdness.

And some of the offerings were very odd. One day the soup choices were fish Broth or a pumpkin-cheese soup. I don't mind using leftovers to make Broth based soups but these were off the charts weird! A few times I saved bacon from breakfast and made my own BLT sandwiches.

We did eat in Chops one night. Our meal was cleared off before we were done eating! 

We still had a great time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Would you care to expand on how it was "less than desirable?" 

"Input, need more input". -  Johnny Five

When I say less then desirable I mean that I've had better food from the value menu at McDonald's.. not what I have grown to expect from royal. Especially in the main dinning room. We have been on several royal ships. Independence being the largest. This was the first time that food has been left on the table.

3 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We were on Harmony a few weeks ago. We eat all our meals in the Windjammer-it just fits our vacation lifestyle better.

I have to agree about the offerings, tho. We're used to a huge salad bar and Harmony's was very scaled down. Some lettuce, 2 types of cheese, some other stuff. We could tell they were catering to the kids. Every lunch and dinner included chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, fries along with hot dogs & hamburgers. I think Taco fixings were available every day. While I don't mind offering a menu for the kids (there were A LOT), it left little room for other things and they too were a mixed bag of weirdness.

And some of the offerings were very odd. One day the soup choices were fish Broth or a pumpkin-cheese soup. I don't mind using leftovers to make Broth based soups but these were off the charts weird! A few times I saved bacon from breakfast and made my own BLT sandwiches.

We did eat in Chops one night. Our meal was cleared off before we were done eating! 

Hi neighbor. My daughter just got off the Harmony yesterday. Their food was not good and the service was bad all around. She did not get to the Windjammer as her boyfriend would not go. No salads no greens just plain weird food and lots of issues with suppliers or whatever.

They went to the captains talk and he said the percentage of new workers on board (can't remember) = bad service.

They and others in their area on deck 11 had their door decorations stolen. Cabin steward said they were in a high crime area!! But nice weather. We are on the Odyssey next week so will be able to compare.

Yes, tons of kids onboard. 

16 hours ago, 98TUNNER said:

I think it is Windjammer in general. Fewer choices, fewer quality choices (meatloaf vs roast beef carving), etc. Even desserts were ho hum on Explorer last week. 

Cost cutting overall.

• Like 1

Haven't sailed Royal since the start up but there are plenty of posts negatively commenting on the quality of the food and service, it's concerning.  We're on the Wonder in March so we'll soon see for ourselves.  We have cruised twice since the start up both on Princess.  The first one in May was disappointing, but that was more due to the mechanical condition of the ship, service was good and the food was inconsistent.  The second in October was great, food, service, experience was much better.  Hoping our upcoming Wonder cruise will be the same as the latter. 

1 hour ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Sounds like part of the new menu you started BYOB.

Bring your Own Bacon for your next meal.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I think it is Windjammer in general. Fewer choices, fewer quality choices (meatloaf vs roast beef carving), etc. Even desserts were ho hum on Explorer last week. 

Cost cutting overall.

Windjammer dinners were pretty good on Mariner this week. American on day 1, Mongolian stir fry day 2, Fajita bar day 3, and day 4 lunch had mixed carving station. Roast beef, Turkey, Ham, and Mahi. The turkey was the best I can ever recall.

No idea on day 4, we did Izumi.

So we never went to MDR for dinner 

And I forgot to mention they had a crepe station on night 1. Very well done. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 98TUNNER said:

I mean that I've had better food from the value menu at McDonald's..

Wow it must have been pretty bad.  

Someone else said:  Meatloaf rather than roast beef:  If it was good meatloaf might be an improvement over some of the tough roast I've gotten in WJ.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ashland said:

Very surprised as we thought our cruise on Harmony this past April the food in the WJ was great !!

Idk if something has changed since April. But if all of the oasis class ships or like this we will not be on one again.

4 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We usually only visit the wj for breakfast and sometime lunch, always main dinning for dinner. But even breakfast at wj was not good. Eggs were like cottage cheese bacon was well idk even know how to describe it, hashbrowns seemed to get greasier and greasier by the day (maybee refrying them). Only thing that was remotely even close to edible were the special made omelets. 

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We usually only visit the wj for breakfast and sometime lunch, always main dinning for dinner. But even breakfast at wj was not good. Eggs were like cottage cheese bacon was well idk even know how to describe it, hashbrowns seemed to get greasier and greasier by the day (maybee refrying them). Only thing that was remotely even close to edible were the special made omelets. 

5 hours ago, vettprincess said:

Hi neighbor. My daughter just got off the Harmony yesterday. Their food was not good and the service was bad all around. She did not get to the Windjammer as her boyfriend would not go. No salads no greens just plain weird food and lots of issues with suppliers or whatever.

They went to the captains talk and he said the percentage of new workers on board (can't remember) = bad service.

They and others in their area on deck 11 had their door decorations stolen. Cabin steward said they were in a high crime area!! But nice weather. We are on the Odyssey next week so will be able to compare.

Yes, tons of kids onboard. 

Yes the Windjammer selection was very limited what was there was not good. The one evening in the MDR my risotto came out just as the "head chef" came out. Took a bit and pushed it away. He says " you not like"?  My response was - I could throw this stuff on the wall it would still be there tomorrow thats how much like glue. So he offers to make a special one for the next night. Which came out crunchy with my chicken cordon blue that had some weird naco cheese sauce on it (that I tried and pushed to the middle of the table next to my risotto). 

20 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

That’s the new normal on Royal. Windjammer is disgusting- hot dog, burger, and meatloaf type entrees. 

I don't expect anything spectacular out of the wj. Never have I expect it to be similar quality to normal all u can eat buffet food. But it's not even up to that standard. My main complaint Is  with the MDR. 

24 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

That’s the new normal on Royal. Windjammer is disgusting- hot dog, burger, and meatloaf type entrees. 

I don't expect anything spectacular out of the wj. Never have I expect it to be similar quality to normal all u can eat buffet food. But it's not even up to that standard. My main complaint Is  with the MDR. 

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Windjammer dinners were pretty good on Mariner this week. American on day 1, Mongolian stir fry day 2, Fajita bar day 3, and day 4 lunch had mixed carving station. Roast beef, Turkey, Ham, and Mahi. The turkey was the best I can ever recall.

No idea on day 4, we did Izumi.

So we never went to MDR for dinner 

And I forgot to mention they had a crepe station on night 1. Very well done. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  We were on Oasis last month.  Our experience with the MDR and windjammers was good.  The selection in windjammer was pretty good too.  Sounds like there is a problem on the Harmony.   

My wife works in analytics for a large company in the travel sector and 95 of reviews on sites like these are negative. People who have a good time, happy with what they got just don't feel the need to comment.

In the grand scheme of things a few bad reviews is such a small percentage but usually are the loudest. Between myself and my family and friends who are mostly cruisers we have only positives to say about our experiences this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2