Price Rises: Gratuities, Wifi, Medallion Shipping 🤑💰

Jadn13

14 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

I am a little confused with the changes.   I have booked a cruise for August 2023.  I took the Princess Plus package at the time.  So my crew appreciation is covered.  Will it still be covered with the new increase?  We, like so many of you, are finding this nickel and diming stuff for loyal customers is very frustrating.  We will start looking into alternate cruise lines.

I'm glad you asked this because I'm confused too. I got an email saying I can keep what I have (Princess Plus) or "upgrade" to the new packages. But the new packages except for deserts and fitness classes (which seem kind of at odds with one another on a cruise) seem to be identical to the old ones. Oh yeah, smoothies too.

So I'm not sure what I get by upgrading, and why they told me about gratuities going up if they are covered by Plus.

This is what the email says...

You'll be able to upgrade to the new or
keep the old at the current price

We wanted you to be the first to hear that we're adding brand-new experiences and offerings to our existing packages . What's new:

Logo of Princess Plus

Princess Plus — now $60 per day per guest!

·         premium desserts

·         Juice Bar (smoothies and juices)

·         fitness classes

·         free Medallion® device shipping*

Logo of Princess Premier

Princess Premier — now $80 per day per guest!

·         free Medallion device shipping*

·         reserved theater seating

·         Medallion accessory

*Free Medallion device shipping to US residents only.

We'll share more details later, but for now know that you'll be able to keep your current Plus or Premier package at the existing price or upgrade to the new enhanced package. After all, we know you love options!

New packages go on sale starting December 14 and apply to cruises sailing February 20, 2023, and beyond.^

What I didn't catch with the original announcement but is now in the email is that if you've already purchased the Plus package, you will have to pay to have your Medallions delivered unless you upgrade to the new version of Plus.  Basically they are going to track 2 different iterations of Plus an Premier.  We will stick with the Plus we've paid for an simply pick our Medallions up at the port.  Geesh. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Crystabel said:

I have the same question. It’s not clear in the email just what needs to be prepaid to get the prior pricing. 

Yeah I am confused too. It’s says smoothies and juices are something new. I thought it was already included in the plus package 

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

I'm glad you asked this because I'm confused too. I got an email saying I can keep what I have (Princess Plus) or "upgrade" to the new packages. But the new packages except for deserts and fitness classes (which seem kind of at odds with one another on a cruise) seem to be identical to the old ones. Oh yeah, smoothies too.

So I'm not sure what I get by upgrading, and why they told me about gratuities going up if they are covered by Plus.

This is what the email says...

You'll be able to upgrade to the new or
keep the old at the current price

We wanted you to be the first to hear that we're adding brand-new experiences and offerings to our existing packages . What's new:

Logo of Princess Plus

Princess Plus — now $60 per day per guest!

·         free Medallion® device shipping*

Logo of Princess Premier

Princess Premier — now $80 per day per guest!

·         free Medallion device shipping*

·         reserved theater seating

·         Medallion accessory

*Free Medallion device shipping to US residents only.

We'll share more details later, but for now know that you'll be able to keep your current Plus or Premier package at the existing price or upgrade to the new enhanced package. After all, we know you love options!

New packages go on sale starting December 14 and apply to cruises sailing February 20, 2023, and beyond.^

Yes it’s very confusing 

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

What I didn't catch with the original announcement but is now in the email is that if you've already purchased the Plus package, you will have to pay to have your Medallions delivered unless you upgrade to the new version of Plus.  Basically they are going to track 2 different iterations of Plus an Premier.  We will stick with the Plus we've paid for an simply pick our Medallions up at the port.  Geesh. 

If that's what it is then, yes, us too. Seems like a lot of work to track this.

2 hours ago, Knickearth said:

I am a little confused with the changes.   I have booked a cruise for August 2023.  I took the Princess Plus package at the time.  So my crew appreciation is covered.  Will it still be covered with the new increase? 

If you have a package nothing changes. If you selected “Plus” then you agreed to pay $50 per day in exchange for the advertised features. That will not change. Same price. Same features. You don’t pay more and you don’t get more. These price increases are for people paying a la carte for gratuities and Wi-Fi. Pre-pay by next week or pay more after 12/14. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can just see it now....

You are at the dessert bar/Vines/Crooners etc with the "old" plan.  Now there are 4 that have to be screened:

Old Princess Plus

New Princess Plus

Old Princess Premier

New Princess Premier

Some passengers have already had to deal with incorrect posting of drinks they did not buy.

What a nightmare.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

You can adjust them either way, up or down, I usually reduce them but never remove them .

I just don't understand.

Its one thing to deprive hard working staff of their pay.  (Because in this situation, tips are really part of their pay.)

But why on earth would you brag about being to cheap to not pay the people who take care of you on vacation??

• Like 18

2 hours ago, fleeflicker said:

Yeah I am confused too. It’s says smoothies and juices are something new. I thought it was already included in the plus package 

I thought the same thing!

Our Plus Beverage Package includes the classics: sodas, specialty coffees and teas, cocktails, wine and beer up to $12 each. Even hot chocolate, smoothies and water to go. Whatever you want – with tips included!

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

If you have a package nothing changes. If you selected “Plus” then you agreed to pay $50 per day in exchange for the advertised features. That will not change. Same price. Same features. You don’t pay more and you don’t get more. These price increases are for people paying a la carte for gratuities and Wi-Fi. Pre-pay by next week or pay more after 12/14. 

Well, I think at least one thing changes, right? You don't get the medallion shipped for free...although this changes for everyone. It's a little confusing because the new Plus includes the free shipping (plus deserts, fitness classes, and smoothies) but the old one doesn't.

But you are 100% right...nothing changes with what you've bought. However, it may not be clear to some that you don't get the free shipping (if that even matters).

I know there's another thread about it, but honestly I don't see where the $10pppd value comes in...

9 hours ago, Knickearth said:

I am a little confused with the changes.   I have booked a cruise for August 2023.  I took the Princess Plus package at the time.  So my crew appreciation is covered.  Will it still be covered with the new increase?  We, like so many of you, are finding this nickel and diming stuff for loyal customers is very frustrating.  We will start looking into alternate cruise lines.

Yes.

And the Plus PAckage Internet is also still covered.

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Well, I think at least one thing changes, right? You don't get the medallion shipped for free...although this changes for everyone. It's a little confusing because the new Plus includes the free shipping (plus deserts, fitness classes, and smoothies) but the old one doesn't.

The old package covered smoothies as it covered all beverages priced up to $12.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

I wonder if they are going to grab shipping on medallion orders already submitted. That would be kinda low

Same. 
I have heard that you need to wait in additional lines at. Check in for Medallion collection.  

8 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

I just don't understand.

Its one thing to deprive hard working staff of their pay.  (Because in this situation, tips are really part of their pay.)

But why on earth would you brag about being to cheap to not pay the people who take care of you on vacation??

The gratuities are shared among all the employees across all the ships so isn't it just supplemental wages?? My steward does not directly receive or lose wages / gratuities (FWIW I do not adjust and $1.50 a day is miniscule in the big picture but call it what it really is)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fpsphil said:

I wonder if they are going to grab shipping on medallion orders already submitted. That would be kinda low

Of course they only ship the Medallions to US customers. So they are expecting those of us from other countries to pay for a “benefit” that isn’t available to us? Really?

seachelt

• Like 7

We just got home from a B2B for 30 days and were debating whether to purchase more FCDs or not cruise any more. These changes (along with all the previous changes) have sealed the deal.

We have one cruise booked and will be requesting to cancel and return our FCDs that we used as a deposit.

We'll be watching the stock price and hoping that it will go up before we decide to sell. We won't lose $$, since we got our purchase price back in OBC several years ago.

Good bye, Princess...it was nice to know you. 

My personal belief is that the pandemic has killed cruising.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the tips are divided up? Specifically, how much of it does the Cabin Steward and dining room waiters get? We usually give them a little extra, so with the increase, we plan to lessen or forgo that, unless they did something really special for us.

Sue

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The old package covered smoothies as it covered all beverages priced up to $12.

Yeah, I keep seeing people say that. I haven't sailed Princess before so wasn't sure if these were special smoothies like the special desserts.

15 hours ago, Knickearth said:

We will start looking into alternate cruise lines.

They are all doing this now.  We took our first Celebrity cruise in October after 25 with Princess.  They are already charging around $30/day for wifi and it's terrible service, and that is basic. 

In looking at cruises, the price to add their package with drinks wifi and tips almost doubles the price of the cruise.

I guess people are paying it, but not me. Cruising used to be more affordable than land based vacations, but that really isn't the case anymore.  But as I said in another thread, they don't care about loyalty.  If an elite doesn't book, a first time cruiser will, and they don't have to do their laundry for free.

• Like 3