Gratuities/Daily Service Charges increasing!!

shof515

5 hours ago, ngrund said:

The main reason I do it is to lock in the price-since I currently book very early, my grats are @ $15.50 for a May 2023 cruise

ChiefMateJRKs point is that you don’t need to agree to prepay them when booking in order to lock into that old rate.

Even if you hadn’t added them when booking you can still pay them before sailing to get that old rate.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

Sure glad we just booked our 29-day Oct 2024 B3B while onboard the other day rather than after Jan 1, 2023! 😁

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

ChiefMateJRKs point is that you don’t need to agree to prepay them when booking in order to lock into that old rate.

Even if you hadn’t added them when booking you can still pay them before sailing to get that old rate.

OK, I was thinking that if I didn't I would have been up to the $16.00 rate. Either way, I do usually tip extra

Just got this via email regarding our upcoming Feb cruise. It’s nice NCL sent us a heads up email this time regarding the pending change, as they didn’t send one previously associated with the Apr 2022 change which was applicable our current Jade cruise.

We had to depend on CC once again to get those details, which we used to make sure we paid the DSC in advance rather than waiting until we got on the ship.

E1C1E3A0-BCE9-484B-A07C-744D4103EBDF.thumb.jpeg.f4bbfa84fae1e57eddf753219a843628.jpeg

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Didn't NCL stop that a couple of years ago? I thought to "remove" gratuities you have to apply to be refunded after the cruise? ( I really have no clue because this is not something I would ever think about doing.)

No, you can go to guest services and have them adjusted or removed.  You don't have to wait until after the cruise.  You probably wouldn't have much luck after the cruise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just got this via email regarding our upcoming Feb cruise. It’s nice NCL sent us a heads up email this time regarding the pending change, as they didn’t send one previously associated with the Apr 2022 change which was applicable our current Jade cruise.

We had to depend on CC once again to get those details, which we used to make sure we paid the DSC in advance rather than waiting until we got on the ship.

E1C1E3A0-BCE9-484B-A07C-744D4103EBDF.thumb.jpeg.f4bbfa84fae1e57eddf753219a843628.jpeg

Thank you for posting the letter you received.   Even though we have four cruises booked into 2024, we did not receive one yet.

• Like 1

That is quite a hike.  For those of us that don't spa/ gamble and get all the elite benefits and "free at sea" stuff............the gratuities are kind of the only thing left that I use my OBC for (well, that and maybe CruiseNext certs).  So prepaying solves the rate-hike problem but leaves me with an OBC problem. Privileged problems for sure but still.  I wouldn't do it myself but I mean, nothing really stops people from going to the front desk and telling them you booked planning to spend the published gratuity rate and want your gratuities adjusted to that amount.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

That is quite a hike.  For those of us that don't spa/ gamble and get all the elite benefits and "free at sea" stuff............the gratuities are kind of the only thing left that I use my OBC for (well, that and maybe CruiseNext certs).  So prepaying solves the rate-hike problem but leaves me with an OBC problem. Privileged problems for sure but still.  I wouldn't do it myself but I mean, nothing really stops people from going to the front desk and telling them you booked planning to spend the published gratuity rate and want your gratuities adjusted to that amount.

You are able to use OBC for gratuities?  We have never been able to and always use for cruisenext.  Do tell........Thanks.  

Also, that is a big hike, I agree.  We usually only eat in the buffet and never get any one on one service(don't drink) except our room steward and even then we don't want turn down service.  So, paying $40 a day to have your bed made and serve yourself food in the buffet is a lot.  We were okay with $30, but $40 might be the breaking point for us. 

5 minutes ago, Level six said:

You are able to use OBC for gratuities?  We have never been able to and always use for cruisenext.  Do tell........Thanks. 

Refundable OBC should be usable for DSC/gratuities.  Refundable is also the only OBC that can be used for CruiseNext, EXCEPT for the non-refundable that's given as a credit for the purchase of the CruiseNext which CAN be applied toward the purchase price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

NCL literally admits that the service charges are used to pay worker salaries. They’re not tips. It’s not something workers get above and beyond their regular pay. NCL uses service charges as a slush fund to pay their expenses.

CB1A2DFC-789E-4721-8D7D-9637DD16A624.jpeg

Yes.

Now my question is why are they raising the rates by such a huge percentage (25%)?

Is the union agreement that covers these workers for ALL cruise lines raising their pay by 25% starting Jan 2023?

21 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Because of the increases, there are different "windows" under which people booked and the pre-pay rate can be different for different people.  

For example...

Someone who booked in Feb. 2021 for a cruise in July 2023 can pre-pay only $18.50/$18.00/$15.50.

Someone who booked in July 2022 for a cruise in July 2023 can pre-pay $20.00/$18.00/$16.00.

Someone who booked today for a cruise in July 2023 can pre-pay $20.00/$18.00/$16.00.

Someone who books after Jan 2023 for a cruise in July 2023 will pay the $25.00/$20.00 no matter when they pay. 

That's correct. I just prepaid Club Balcony for our August 2023 at $16 pp per day

I’m booking everything on my bucket list by Dec. 31 so I don’t get locked in to the outrageous new rate. They clearly don’t understand the point of a tip as a reward for exceptional service after verified exceptional service has been provided. If they really understood this concept we would be paying cash tips piecemeal to deserving staff members. This higher tip rate will discourage people from providing additional cash tips to the staff members who really deserve it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

A cancel/rebook would put you at the higher daily rate. 

it depends on how they do the price adjustment from what i noticed. i had price adjustments were they just adjusted the fare and i had others were it was a considering a cancel and rebook. a good way to tell if it is a cancel and rebook is look at the booking date on the confirmation 

my most recent reprice was last month and my booking date stayed the same with the adjusted fare. it was not a cancel and rebook