Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

33 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I don't do that at home either. However, my bathroom at home is quite a bit larger with places to hang those wet towels. 😄

I hang the towels I want to keep - and some stewards change them anyway.  The ones on the floor (under the sink) are the ones I want changed.  As for places to hang them, there are usually 4 hooks on the bathroom door, and we bring some of our own for in the room.

I am wondering if the room attendants' pay is being reduced.  If they are working reduced hours due to this change, I would be surprised if they did not get a pay cut. Or, as others have mentioned, are room attendants assigned to other departments on board to make up for the time away from the guest cabins?  I also wonder if the room attendants welcome this change or are they cursing it?  

Teddie

6 hours ago, loman said:

I dont see it being an issue for me personally . 

They should reduce the gratuity amount though.

Its a cost cutting measure as i see it.

Could be the change is being made as a way to reduce expenses without impacting fares.   If that is the need, an alternative would be to retain the current activity and increase fares and/or gratuities.  

Oh my, I have mixed feelings about this. First of all, they don't CLEAN the cabin twice a day.  The second visit is for touch up....fresh towels, empty trash, ice, and the elusive paper copy of the daily activities (if available).  The gratuity rate is going up and the services offered is going down.  We left Carnival because of these guest "improvements".  Service on Carnival has become a joke and I would hate for Royal to go down that path. At least Carnival has lower pricing. We can easily do with once a day cabin servicing.  We leave everything neat as a pin. That is the way we live at home, also.  I do like coming back in the evening to a refreshed cabin with no wet towels hanging around the small bathroom. We cruise in suites, so I guess we won't have any changes.  I feel for families in smaller cabins.  How do they keep their small space in order?  People seem to accept these many cutbacks throughout all areas of the ship along with price increases. We on the other hand are evaluating our future cruising plans.            

• Like 6

I don't mind 1x a day.  But also feel gratuities should be lessened.  I have had 1x a day from land vacays and on Carnival.  Wasn't too big of a fan of the Carnival Magic one as our room steward was doing 3 floors in Cloud 9 apparently by herself (although I saw different room stewards in the Cloud 9 area so...) and she could only do 1x a day.  This unfortunately was 1x for a 5 day cruise and the only time she cleaned was the day she left a tip envelope.  We took our towels from the carts in the hallway. Not a great comparison I know.  But it makes me wonder if the staffing may be getting cut and that's why Royal is doing this.  I really don't care as long as they give us towels and empty trash.  We did call housekeeping on day 3, and were told someone would be by...👀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Wasn't too big of a fan of the Carnival Magic one as our room steward was doing 3 floors in Cloud 9 apparently by herself (although I saw different room stewards in the Cloud 9 area so...) and she could only do 1x a day.  This unfortunately was 1x for a 5 day cruise and the only time she cleaned was the day she left a tip envelope.  We took our towels from the carts in the hallway. I really don't care as long as they give us towels and empty trash.  We did call housekeeping on day 3, and were told someone would be by...👀

This is what I am afraid will happen.  Carnival continues to overwork their staff and in turn that staff doesn't try or can't do a good job anymore.  Royal needs to avoid this perception at all costs!    

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Oh my, I have mixed feelings about this. First of all, they don't CLEAN the cabin twice a day.  The second visit is for touch up....fresh towels, empty trash, ice, and the elusive paper copy of the daily activities (if available).  The gratuity rate is going up and the services offered is going down.  We left Carnival because of these guest "improvements".  Service on Carnival has become a joke and I would hate for Royal to go down that path. At least Carnival has lower pricing. We can easily do with once a day cabin servicing.  We leave everything neat as a pin. That is the way we live at home, also.  I do like coming back in the evening to a refreshed cabin with no wet towels hanging around the small bathroom. We cruise in suites, so I guess we won't have any changes.  I feel for families in smaller cabins.  How do they keep their small space in order?  People seem to accept these many cutbacks throughout all areas of the ship along with price increases. We on the other hand are evaluating our future cruising plans.            

But on Carnival you get to be on "Youtube"...Would that be a "Improvement?🤪

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I hang the towels I want to keep - and some stewards change them anyway.  The ones on the floor (under the sink) are the ones I want changed.  As for places to hang them, there are usually 4 hooks on the bathroom door, and we bring some of our own for in the room.

It seems that removing our "saved" towels happens more often than not.  I really wish they would leave them. We do reuse our towels, but more often than not, those left on hooks are still wet many hours later.   

1 minute ago, mpdog42 said:

But on Carnival you get to be on "Youtube"...Would that be a "Improvement?🤪

Lol, we are Carnival old timers...been cruising on them for over twenty years.  I defended the brand for many years and felt they offered a good product.  Not so much any more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Lol, we are Carnival old timers...been cruising on them for over twenty years.  I defended the brand for many years and felt they offered a good product.  Not so much any more...

Me too...Started with the Fantasy in 1993

Edited by mpdog42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Looks like you missed a few items in your list 😉

LOL!  "It doesn't matter to me because of XYZ" covers most of these! 

It doesn't matter because I'm single,

It doesn't matter because i already request it just be once a day,

It doesn't matter because I just took a P&O cruise/Carnival cruise and they do it this way and it was fine,

It doesn't matter because that's what hotels do,

It doesn't matter because I use my towels 4 days,

It doesn't matter because I'm loyal to Royal...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm on a cruise for the food, entertainment and hopefully to see someplace I've never been before.

How often the towels and sheets get changed out is nowhere on my list of things to worry about.

I lived in hotels for about seven years, and only wanted service every 2-4 days.  They gave me extra guest points for that before it was a thing, and staff were always willing to leave extra towels if I asked.

This is a nothing burger.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tenderpaw said:

LOL!  "It doesn't matter to me because of XYZ" covers most of these! 

It doesn't matter because I'm single,

It doesn't matter because i already request it just be once a day,

It doesn't matter because I just took a P&O cruise/Carnival cruise and they do it this way and it was fine,

It doesn't matter because that's what hotels do,

It doesn't matter because I use my towels 4 days,

It doesn't matter because I'm loyal to Royal...

So what was the point of making this thread? To complain or take a dig at those that weren’t that concerned? 

• Like 5

I would/will miss the twice daily, I like to cruise and feel like a king(like the rich folks) this is another one of those little things, that is value added to me.   It makes cruising Royal no different than most hotels in the world, so what's the big deal?  If the product is so much like a land product, maybe charge for everything more in line with similar mainline/not high end land products.   Would it stop me cruising? Not in and of itself, but still not a fan, Royal will do what its gotta do for their business projections,

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm on Celebrity right now for the first time in two decades, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they still do pillow chocolates on X!

We used to collect them  ( on RC ) and bring them home to eat after the cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I don't do that at home either. However, my bathroom at home is quite a bit larger with places to hang those wet towels. 😄

Plenty of places to hang towels. The rod they come on, and 3 or 4 hooks on the door

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I must be the ancient mariner. Started Carnival in 1989, moved to Royal in 2008. Our last ship was Glory out of PC

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We are not in Aqua Class.  Maybe it is an elite benefit?

Yes, flowers are not standard on Celebrity but I'm pretty sure it is a loyalty benefit, I believe usually provided on formal night (our first cruise as elite won't be until our next one).

2 hours ago, teddie said:

I am wondering if the room attendants' pay is being reduced.  If they are working reduced hours due to this change, I would be surprised if they did not get a pay cut. Or, as others have mentioned, are room attendants assigned to other departments on board to make up for the time away from the guest cabins?  I also wonder if the room attendants welcome this change or are they cursing it?  

Teddie

How it worked on Carnival was that there were less attendants and they had to cover more cabins.  

• Like 1