Formal nights

Kruzkrazy

1 minute ago, Kruzkrazy said:

How formal are formal nights these days? We'll be  doing a 10-day cruise to Mexico on Crown.

Pretty much the same as it's been these past few yrs. Some dress formally in gowns & tuxes. Some men dress in slacks, Polo shirts. Some women dress in slacks & dressy top. Some men wear ties & jackets. Some wear tie, no jacket. Others wear jacket, no tie. Shorts are usually not allowed. It's cruisers choice. 😊

• Like 1

....and yet some guys don't wear any jacket but dressed in jeans with a Polo shirt. Princess has become very tolerant since the return from Covid.

Us gals can still get away with the bare minimum and call it formal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Personally I wear a short sleeved guayabera and black jeans with my athletic shoes.  While I am dressed near the bottom others are starting to join me with pants and polo shirts.  Ignore the "formal dress" because the ship does as well as a lot of the pax.  I asked a head waiter who watched the door one time about what women wear as some are very informal.  What he told me was that women can wear almost anything and call it fashionable.  I have  never worn a suit, sport coat or tie on a cruise.  So don't fret about the "formal nights" as they are a vestige of the long last past.  Some do dress formal but it is getting less and less.   

• Like 3

It is true that many do not dress up.  The truth is about 50% still dress up.  It is not technically formal as in evening gown & tux.  We will be on a cruise on the Sky over New Years.  On the dress up nights I will wear cocktail dress & husband will wear a coat & tie because that is what we like to do.  We will be with 2 other couples who will do the same.  I enjoy dressing up I don’t care what others do, it is what I want to do.  I do feel that some people want everyone to think no one dresses up but as I said many still do.  Do what you want.  Not really sure why Princess is still doing this since they do not enforce any dress code.  I read a review of someone on the Sky Princess this week.  They said the only enforcement of the dress code on “formal nights” was no shorts in the dining room.  So why have it?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

....and yet some guys don't wear any jacket but dressed in jeans with a Polo shirt. Princess has become very tolerant since the return from Covid.

Us gals can still get away with the bare minimum and call it formal. 

I've always been fine with gals wearing the bare minimum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ksm77 said:

I do feel that some people want everyone to think no one dresses up but as I said many still do.  

Agree. I sometimes think the non-formal-dressers want everyone to think that is the norm so it BECOMES the norm 😝. I see plenty of people dressed up on formal nights, maybe not too many in tuxes and formal gowns but lots of sparkly dresses and men in suits. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

Agree. I sometimes think the non-formal-dressers want everyone to think that is the norm so it BECOMES the norm 😝. I see plenty of people dressed up on formal nights, maybe not too many in tuxes and formal gowns but lots of sparkly dresses and men in suits. 

That is where you and I are different. I don't spend my time in the MDR monitoring what people are wearing. I have no idea how many people are wearing what. I just don't care. It's not my business. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

That is where you and I are different. I don't spend my time in the MDR monitoring what people are wearing. I have no idea how many people are wearing what. I just don't care. It's not my business. 

Agree.  In all the cruises we have done can never remember what anyone wore but it always seems like their is a wide variety from very dressy to very causal.  Basically, it is like any other night to us on a Princess ship anyway.

• Like 5

On 12/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Few dress up. They aren't mandatory like before to get into the dining rooms. 

What a great answer to the OP's specific question!

You must be a politician. They always give non relevant answers 😂 

• Haha 1

I'm just happy that Princess has changed their attitude about their enforcement of the dress code on formal nights. No matter how people decide to dress on formal nights is their business, but it allows everyone to make of it what they want without forcing the issue just to enjoy the better food offered in the dining room.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Not sure how you got that I am monitoring anything from my comment. My observation was that plenty of people dress up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2022 at 9:53 AM, RNRcruisers said:

I agree a lot of people are dressed up on formal night.   At the same time there are a lot of non-formal dressers.   So, I think it fair to say it has already become normal.  

One problem with dress code threads is some will respond with what they want instead of what is.  I am happy to see this thread is answering the OP's question with what is.  

My opinion is times have changed.  Trying to force people into a "formal dress" requirement is out-dated and should be replaced.  The current relaxing of the "code" shows that Princess recognizes a large number of passengers simply do not find it enjoyable.   Another cruise line replaced formal night with chic night.   There are a lot of people dressed to the nines.  And there are a lot of people dressed casually.  As crazy as it sounds, we all manage to co-exist peacefully in the same dining room and even manage to enjoy the experience without scowling at each other. 😀   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Dress CODE = Dress SUGGESTION

50 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Precisely. 

And it seems to be working just fine. I haven't read about people leaving the line because of it being to casual.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1