Young woman over board from Pacific Explorer in SA waters

51 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Truly remarkable that she was located in the 5 metre swell. RIP.

I heard one of the rescue aircraft people on the radio this morning; they seemed to know exactly when she went into the water and therefore the exact spot where the ship had been so had a fairly tight search area (as I understood what he said).

I assumed someone must have witnessed her going overboard.

42 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I heard one of the rescue aircraft people on the radio this morning; they seemed to know exactly when she went into the water and therefore the exact spot where the ship had been so had a fairly tight search area (as I understood what he said).

I assumed someone must have witnessed her going overboard.

Maybe a staff member or passenger saw her go in and threw in the life ring - as we are told to do, to help with locating the person overboard.

Absolutely tragedy.  My heart goes out to her family.

I had a balcony cabin on the bump out part of Coral Princess which gives you an excellent view, but also means you can see into the balconies of  several other cabins. I twice saw different passengers sitting on the railings of their balcony with their backs to the sea.. Extremely dangerous and foolish.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I had a balcony cabin on the bump out part of Coral Princess which gives you an excellent view, but also means you can see into the balconies of  several other cabins. I twice saw different passengers sitting on the railings of their balcony with their backs to the sea.. Extremely dangerous and foolish.

People like that need to be banned for life,they just impose their stupidity on everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

The seas have been pretty wild for the last week down there .Ovations outer decks where closed to passengers for most of the time.

It does make you wonder how someone could go over the side accidentally.

Whoever wrote the updated story on this that I read just now, clearly thinks this was an on-purpose rather than an accident as they listed suicide service contact details at the end of the piece.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Holy cow! I would have quietly gone & reported them.

1 hour ago, grozzy1 said:

They were fortunate to have an accurate location, I wonder how long till the alarm was raised.

The search pattern appears tight and efficient Screenshot_20221214-153356.thumb.png.9bf54dfdd288060d931ca1594faab096.png

According to the rescue services guy on the radio, the alarm was raised by a member of staff at around midnight (or by midnight it might have been).

The ship has cancelled the cruise and is heading back to Melbourne from what I read.

Very sad for all concerned. I have no problems with people deciding to end their own lives, but if this is true (as alluded to and not weighing in either way as really don't know) this way affects so many other people and would not be my preference.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2022 at 6:00 PM, Aussieflyer said:

I have no problems with people deciding to end their own lives, but if this is true (as alluded to and not weighing in either way as really don't know) this way affects so many other people and would not be my preference.

I tend to think that if you are in the headspace to jump from a cruise ship then you are probably incapable of thinking through the consequences your actions will have on others.

Whatever happened, I hope the young lady is now at peace,

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I tend to think that if you are in the headspace to jump from a cruise ship then you are probably incapable of thinking through the consequences your actions will have on others.

Whatever happened, I hope the young lady is now at peace,

Imagine how her mother is feeling!

• Like 2