Infinite Balcony

coffeebean

6 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

The folding doors that close off the infinite veranda from the rest of the cabin are still a bit confusing to me. Are those doors like closing the sliding doors to a traditional balcony? And......if they are, with those folding doors closed, does the A/C still go off?

In a traditional balcony cabin, when the sliding door is closed, the A/C still works in the cabin. With the sliding door open, the A/C cuts off. I've been in many traditional balcony cabins on several different cruise lines and the A/C does not work with the sliding door open to the balcony.

For all intents and purposes the bifold doors are like bifold closet doors, or more precisely like room divider screens. They are cosmetic in nature and its sole purpose is to create a fake balcony area INSIDE your room by using room dividers. The whole concept of the IV cabin is taking an inside space and using a different flooring material, furniture, and room dividing screens, create a pretend version of a balcony. But you are Always Inside your cabin; you are never, ever, ever outside. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

The folding doors that close off the infinite veranda from the rest of the cabin are still a bit confusing to me. Are those doors like closing the sliding doors to a traditional balcony? And......if they are, with those folding doors closed, does the A/C still go off?

In a traditional balcony cabin, when the sliding door is closed, the A/C still works in the cabin. With the sliding door open, the A/C cuts off. I've been in many traditional balcony cabins on several different cruise lines and the A/C does not work with the sliding door open to the balcony.

The folding doors don't affect the Aircon - opening/lowering the window turns it off.

No M or S class ships have balcony doors that turn off the aircon. Leaving the sliding doors open causes all sorts of issues not only for you but for your neighbors as the Aircon units are connected in pairs. With the balcony door open just open your cabin door and you will instantly feel the rush of air. Walk along the corridors and you can also hear the whistling where balcony doors are open.

9 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

This helps in terms of trying to pick a statement. However, on some larger booking sites, it's hard to tell the difference from a balcony to an IV.  We are looking at the Apex.  It's a bit overwelming.

All Retreat and Sunset Veranda cabins have balconies. Deluxe Porthole View cabins have smaller closed in balconies, but they are exterior spaces. Every other "Veranda" cabin is an IV with no exterior space, including ALL Concierge Class and Aqua Class cabins.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I guess what bothers me the most about the infinite verandas is that they are designed to reduce drag and save fuel.  But they are sold as a cruise enhancement.  It just seems like a big gaslighting scam.  I also don't like how the Captain will close them if there is drizzle within twenty miles.   

I guess fuel economy isn’t an issue for suites because the suites get traditional balconies.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

All Retreat and Sunset Veranda cabins have balconies. Deluxe Porthole View cabins have smaller closed in balconies, but they are exterior spaces. Every other "Veranda" cabin is an IV with no exterior space, including ALL Concierge Class and Aqua Class cabins.

Thank you for this.  Helpful in deciding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm assuming you saved a substantial amount of money? Otherwise I don't see what the benefit would be. 

Actually no did cost a bit more but my sister and I were sharing the IV for the 15 nights Florida to Amsterdam. After talking about it we thought better to have our own cabins.  It's going to be a long holiday as we are staying pre and post cruise.  The inside is a deluxe so same square footage minus verandah area. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

Actually no did cost a bit more but my sister and I were sharing the IV for the 15 nights Florida to Amsterdam. After talking about it we thought better to have our own cabins.  It's going to be a long holiday as we are staying pre and post cruise.  The inside is a deluxe so same square footage minus verandah area. 

That's an important part of the story that you left out! The implication of your initial post seemed to imply there was something so negative about the IV cabin itself that you were better off in an inside room. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's an important part of the story that you left out! The implication of your initial post seemed to imply there was something so negative about the IV cabin itself that you were better off in an inside room. 

I'm still better off in an inside. Its still quite a bit cheaper than an IV if you are solo.  Saw them in the Edge and not impressed and there was no implication whatsoever. 

Edited by drakes2
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

The other issue is the silly fool-house like furniture the is required by the small size of the infinite veranda.  Some of the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever seen

I feel sorry for any large person who thinks he/she are going to spend time relaxing in those uncomfortable chairs. 

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I feel sorry for any large person who thinks he/she are going to spend time relaxing in those uncomfortable chairs. 

After having both hips and both knees replaced  the furniture is uncomfortable! 
and it a bit of comedy act trying to get out of them 😉

12 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I guess what bothers me the most about the infinite verandas is that they are designed to reduce drag and save fuel.  But they are sold as a cruise enhancement.  It just seems like a big gaslighting scam.  I also don't like how the Captain will close them if there is drizzle within twenty miles.   

Xs marketing of IVs and the Magic Carpet are grossly overhyped.  When I got on my E class cruise I was excited by the marketing but disappointed when on board.

You will hear complaints from people on board about the IVs.  On a cruise I hardly ever hear complaints except for E class.

X should remove the word veranda and call it a super deluxe open/close window.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

For all intents and purposes the bifold doors are like bifold closet doors, or more precisely like room divider screens. They are cosmetic in nature and its sole purpose is to create a fake balcony area INSIDE your room by using room dividers. The whole concept of the IV cabin is taking an inside space and using a different flooring material, furniture, and room dividing screens, create a pretend version of a balcony. But you are Always Inside your cabin; you are never, ever, ever outside. 

So......may I assume the A/C still cuts off when those bi-fold doors are closed? If that is the case, the infinite veranda is not for hubby and me. 

31 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

So......may I assume the A/C still cuts off when those bi-fold doors are closed? If that is the case, the infinite veranda is not for hubby and me. 

Yes, the HVAC cuts off whenever the window is lowered. All three E-class ships are the same regarding this issue. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Some love them, some dislike them and most have said nothing.  The reality is the older one becomes the less they like change.

We think the infinite veranda is OK, but prefer the regular balcony.

Again we prefer Millenium etc to the larger ships.

It is not about the change.  It is about Celebrity taking the best positions on the ship coveted by cruisers and turning them into 10k or 20k per cruise suites.  Welcome to E class.

It is good if you are in such a suite,  not so good otherwise.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

No the bifold doors are not connected to the Aircon only the drop down window.

Drop window by any amount Aircon is off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why would the AC cutoff when the bi-fold doors are closed if the window is also closed?

If you read my other posts on this thread you will understand that the bifold doors are just cosmetic furniture to simulate a separate room. They aren't airtight. Which is why they have to shut off the HVAC. People say the solution to that is to make them airtight, but that will never happen. The point was never to make it a an outdoor space. It was always and will remain a faux balcony. In fact Royal decided not to even put doors in their IV cabins in the new icon of the seas. All they have are regular curtains to separate off the space. So it will be the same, on the Icon;open the window and the HVAC will shut off.

Celebrity did a disservice by calling the cabin a veranda. It's an Oceanview cabin with a window that open. End of story. No amount of wordsmith can change that simple fact. 

That doesn't mean that someone can't enjoy it for what it is. No argument there. But there's no alternative facts. The whole cabin is an inside room, with a with that opens, and furniture tries to make it seem like a balcony. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If you read my other posts on this thread you will understand that the bifold doors are just cosmetic furniture to simulate a separate room. They aren't airtight. Which is why they have to shut off the HVAC.

Be careful with your phrasing. Each of your last 2 comments on this issue imply that the bi-fold doors can shut off the A/C. They don't, and I know you know that. But your answers are not clear and could be read as the complete opposite of what you mean.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Be careful with your phrasing. Each of your last 2 comments on this issue imply that the bi-fold doors can shut off the A/C. They don't, and I know you know that. But your answers are not clear and could be read as the complete opposite of what you mean.

Gotcha. I can see why people can get confused. 

• Like 3

My 2 cents: I prefer a traditional balcony to the IV.  The main upside to the IV is that the room definitely feels bigger (because it is).  So if you just want a bigger oceanview then you will like the IV.  But if you want a real balcony that you can stand on and put your hands on the rail, and dry clothes on the chairs, etc. you are going to be disappointed.

• Like 2