Infinite Balcony

coffeebean

I have read about how people do not like the infinite balconies. Has Celebrity made any changes to these balconies?. One criticism of these types of balconies that I have read about is that when you open the window, the A/C in the cabin cuts off. Has there been anything done so the A/C continues to work if the balcony window is opened?

If you have stayed recently in an infinite balcony cabin, how did you like the balcony set up?

Edited by coffeebean

9 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I have read about how people do not like the infinite balconies. Has Celebrity made any changes to these balconies?. One criticism of these types of balconies that I have read about is that when you open the window, the A/C in the cabin cuts off. Has there been anything done so the A/C continues to work if the balcony window is opened?

If you have stayed recently in an infinite balcony cabin, how did you like the balcony set up?

They have made no chnages since it was introduced on Edge, they have actually included them on all new builds Apex, Beyond and upcoming Ascent.  We've all read that some don't like them but we've also read that many do.  Like anything, there is alwways something for everyone.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

They will never allow the HVAC to stay on when the window is open for the same reason  ships don't allow the HVAC to stay on when a balcony door is open. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really dislike the infinite balconies.  The captain can control opening and closing the window.  As previously stated, if one person goes on the "balcony" the ac in the cabin shuts off. Poor design.  It is a windowed cabin with a window that sometimes opens.  Too expensive.  Also, the cabin seemed narrow.

If you want a balcony, an aft stateroom or a cove balcony on the front side of the ship, much better IMO

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

My wife loves the Infinite Veranda.  I hate them and call them the Infinitely Small Verandas -- zero veranda!!  So there is no consensus as to their value.

I call it a sunroom. Never stayed in one but have seen one on the Edge and not impressed.  I actually booked an IV for my upcoming 15 night TA and gave it up for an inside.  Same size room except without sunroom. 

I would think your level of enjoyment would be dependent on your itinerary. For example, we just got finished booking a B2B on the Apex in July 2024 in an AQ infinite veranda for the simple reason we wanted to eat in Blu. However, the cruise is mostly going around Norway, so I’m hoping the weather is cool enough in July where it won’t matter if the AC is turned off when the window is open as we’re cruising around the fjords and up above the Arctic Circle.

However, I’m not sure if we will ever book one if we’re cruising around the Caribbean or the Med, as my DW likes the AC and I like to sit out on the balcony. 😁

• Like 1

I guess what bothers me the most about the infinite verandas is that they are designed to reduce drag and save fuel.  But they are sold as a cruise enhancement.  It just seems like a big gaslighting scam.  I also don't like how the Captain will close them if there is drizzle within twenty miles.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

we get on apex tomorrow and have 2 infinite varandas.  My guess is my wife and i will like them because we always get regular balconies, and never use them.  Well, maybe to hang up our bathing suits...  Our kids on the other hand might not.  They do use the balconies more than we do.  should be interesting and a new experience.   Not sure how no air-conditioning when the window is open will go over, especially when my wife is getting ready for dinner.  But hopefully it wont be as ridiculously hot this time of year in the Caribbean. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

we get on apex tomorrow and have 2 infinite varandas.  My guess is my wife and i will like them because we always get regular balconies, and never use them.  

Exactly.  If you don't use a regular balcony, you will likely love an IV. 

I never go to the pool deck.  I find it too noisy and too crowded.  But many, many people love it.  I prefer sitting on my quiet, private regular veranda.  My house has many windows that open.  But I don't tell people I have 15 verandas.

I liked the analogy someone made.  It's the difference between a moon roof and a convertible with a ragtop.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

They will never allow the HVAC to stay on when the window is open for the same reason  ships don't allow the HVAC to stay on when a balcony door is open. 

The HVAC does stay on when the door to a traditional balcony is open - hence the sign on every such door asking you to keep the door closed.

• Haha 1

I like them OK and would probably be willing to pay an additional $100-200 to upgrade from an ocean view room, but there's no way I'm paying full retail for the privilege of opening my window.  They act like we are supposed to happily pay for a full balcony when its just an open window.  No thanks.  

• Like 1

When I look at them I am drawn to think it will make the room feel much more spacious, but does it?  Does that space feel like an extension of the room?

I could see the appeal on an itinerary where I wouldn't spend much time on the balcony anyway if I gain room space.

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I call it a sunroom. Never stayed in one but have seen one on the Edge and not impressed.  I actually booked an IV for my upcoming 15 night TA and gave it up for an inside.  Same size room except without sunroom. 

My parents had a "florida" room in their condo in Florida- like the IV area.

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm assuming you saved a substantial amount of money? Otherwise I don't see what the benefit would be. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

My parents had a "florida" room in their condo in Florida- like the IV area.

I have a "Massachusetts" room in my home but I can only open the windows 3 months of the year

• Haha 4

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

The folding doors that close off the infinite veranda from the rest of the cabin are still a bit confusing to me. Are those doors like closing the sliding doors to a traditional balcony? And......if they are, with those folding doors closed, does the A/C still go off?

In a traditional balcony cabin, when the sliding door is closed, the A/C still works in the cabin. With the sliding door open, the A/C cuts off. I've been in many traditional balcony cabins on several different cruise lines and the A/C does not work with the sliding door open to the balcony.