Guests Denied Boarding Due to Passport Requirements at Port Everglades

ATL_Miami_Cruiser

7 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The reporter says "dozens of people are contacting her"

I'm curious how many is "load" and "dozens"?

Totally in agreement that those involved should have read their cruise info (IN WRITING) not relied on a phone conversation with a reservations representative.

The number within the YouTube video description also is different and says "More than 100 cruise line passengers have been left stranded at Port Everglades."  It's journalism at its best.

• Haha 3

Apparently those affected did not check in prior to arriving at the port.  

i would hope the reporters would do some research and report the complete story.  

I am left wondering exactly what question was asked, although it is certainly possible that someone on the phone gave them incorrect or incomplete information.

I am not sure that the on line document and description could be much  clearer.  Too bad that this is not being reported.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

The number within the YouTube video description also is different and says "More than 100 cruise line passengers have been left stranded at Port Everglades."  It's journalism at its best.

Even if it's 200 passengers, how many passengers does that ship carry?  There were hundreds more passengers who knew what the requirements were than those who were denied boarding.  

Personal responsibility - something that can be REALLY helpful.

• Like 3

Reporter probably paid by SouthWest to avoid a story about all of the passengers missing their cruises due to the SouthWest flight cancellations.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I wonder if it was Panama Canal: Normally, passengers on closed-loop sailings which begin and end at the same US port can use an original or certified copy of the birth certificate along with a valid, government-issued ID. However, on sailings to Central and South America including Panama Canal, a valid US Passport is required. 

While I think they should just make passports mandatory - I do have to say that I have been told so much wrong information from Princess reps, I do think if Princess told someone they didn't need their passport, they should work with them and allow them to transfer their money to another sailing. Princess needs to have proper training for their phone reps. I was appalled earlier this year when working with Princess on a matter on how poor their Customer Service agents knowledge was. Princess does hold some responsibility here if they informed someone wrongly when they called about their cruise.

The catch was Guadeloupe and Martinique which both require passports.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

After May 7, 2025, everyone will need a "REAL ID compliant" drivers license to board a domestic airline flight, carrying a valid passport for all travel by common carrier should be the default position.

Identification | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

The link is for the TSA (Airports), not the Customs and Border Protection.  The Closed loop passport exemption is different than just using the "Real ID" licenses.  A closed loop cruise, requires a government issued birth certificate AND government issued photo ID (ie: a Real ID license), unless using a passport, passport card, enhanced driver license (EDL), Global Entry, Nexus, etc.

50 minutes ago, Parrottdizes said:

So many times I read on forums that on a closed loop such as a R/T out of Ft. Lauderdale one can use a government issued B/C. And many times it can be used, BUT, not always......sometimes on those itinerates a passport book is required.  

Just this December we did a R/T out of Ft Lauderdale on a Caribbean itinerary and a passport was required. It was stated very clearly in our documentation. Please read your official documentation; don't just depend on some strangers opinion.  

Even for closed loop cruises one should make sure they will have an up-to-date passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity.  My neighbor booked a round trip out of NYC to Bermuda on another 'boutique' line and they required a passport for boarding.  Two weeks before sailing, she realized she couldn't find her passport and tried to use closed loop cruise documents (Certified birth certificate and photo driver license) and she was told she would be refused boarding as the cruise line required a valid passport and would not accept anything else.  She was able to get an expedited replacement passport, but it cost her a lot of time and money.  Moral of the story: Make sure you know where your passport is and how much time is left on it at the time you make any cruise booking.  

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

Expanded news story.

They sound like they have at least a 5th grade education so I'm dumbfounded as to why they couldn't read their travel summary. And the reporter is clueless. Whereas it is regrettable that the passengers failed to bring appropriate documentation, they were planning on going to non-USA locations. Unfortunately no refund or lodging assistance due

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

They sound like they have at least a 5th grade education so I'm dumbfounded as to why they couldn't read their travel summary. And the reporter is clueless. Whereas it is regrettable that the passengers failed to bring appropriate documentation, they were planning on going to non-USA locations. Unfortunately no refund or lodging assistance due

I wonder if they bought CFAR insurance?

Probably not……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I still don't see any evidence that "hundreds" of cruise passengers were denied boarding...  It went from hundreds to 'several families'  Once again, don't accept what the 'news' reports as being true.  They're selling advertising, not good information.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Guessing IF they purchased cruise insurance, the claim would be denied. Unless CFAR, but how far in advance does that need to be done?

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

Princess Cruise Lines released this statement: 

"Passengers need to take responsibility for their mistakes. 

On Princess' website, it clearly states that valid US Passports are required on this itinerary. Normally, passengers on closed-loop sailings which begin and end at the same US port can use an original or certified copy of the birth certificate along with a valid, government-issued ID. However, on sailings to Central and South America including Panama Canal, a valid US Passport is required. 

Princess' Ocean Medallion app provides all of these details during the registration process. I just returned from my 12th cruise of the year, which happened to be on Princess a week ago. All of the documentation requirements are spelled out quite clearly. 

Also, as stated in the Passenger Contract, it is the passenger's sole responsibility to ensure they have proper documentation. Even if a cruise representative provided wrong information, it's still the passenger's responsibility." 

Also, as stated in the Passenger Contract, it is the passenger's sole responsibility to ensure they have proper documentation. Even if a cruise representative provided wrong information, it's still the passenger's responsibility." 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Guessing IF they purchased cruise insurance, the claim would be denied. Unless CFAR, but how far in advance does that need to be done?

There are time limits. Depending on the policy, it could be 72 or 48 hours prior to sailing. Even if it allowed cancellation up to departure, those folks may have been too upset (or poorly informed) to think of making the call. Once the ship sails, it is too late for even the most generous terms.

Standard cancellation is out of the question. Failure to provide required documentation is not a covered reason.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I wonder what happens to their luggage.  Usually, you do the luggage drop at curbside before entering the terminal.

They have finally included Southwest in EZair, and the luggage if forever lost...

"Bags fly free."   ...just not to your destination.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I still don't see any evidence that "hundreds" of cruise passengers were denied boarding...  It went from hundreds to 'several families'  Once again, don't accept what the 'news' reports as being true.  They're selling advertising, not good information.

I don't understand:

"Dozens of people called CBS4 reporter Gabby Arzola, saying something needs to be done"

Dozens?  So, 24+ people called a single reporter at a Miami television station?

For people travelling from all over the country, it seems unlikely that so many would call a single, particular reporter...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

... I just returned from my 12th cruise of the year, which happened to be on Princess a week ago. All of the documentation requirements are spelled out quite clearly. 

I'm going to guess this statement didn't come from an employee authorized to speak to the media.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, trey420 said:

So this wasn't a closed loop cruise? I wonder who told them different. 

Panama Canal cruises as well as those that visit Martinique or Guadalupe require passports. It is clearly stated on the booking summary as well as in the app

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

On Princess' website, it clearly states that valid US Passports are required on this itinerary. Normally, passengers on closed-loop sailings which begin and end at the same US port can use an original or certified copy of the birth certificate along with a valid, government-issued ID. However, on sailings to Central and South America including Panama Canal, a valid US Passport is required. 

Princess' Ocean Medallion app provides all of these details during the registration process. I just returned from my 12th cruise of the year, which happened to be on Princess a week ago. All of the documentation requirements are spelled out quite clearly. 

Also, as stated in the Passenger Contract, it is the passenger's sole responsibility to ensure they have proper documentation. Even if a cruise representative provided wrong information, it's still the passenger's responsibility." Also, as stated in the Passenger Contract, it is the passenger's sole responsibility to ensure they have proper documentation. Even if a cruise representative provided wrong information, it's still the passenger's responsibility." 

This does not read like a statement from Princess. Can you cite your source?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I'm going to guess this statement didn't come from an employee authorized to speak to the media.

Agreed it does sound very odd as an official statement. At timestamp 3:00 the reported states "This representative said" which could mean anyone at the company.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser
  • Like 2

According to the US State Department of State, the following countries require US citizens to have a passport for entry: Panama, Columbia and Costa Rica.  The CB sailing is stopping at all three, thus the requirement for a passport to board that sailing.  🤧 

• Like 2

One of the passengers in the video does state she called Princess as she knew her passport was going to expire durning the crusie. She then states she was told it was OK, she didn’t need it.  So it sounds like that person knew about the requirements. 

Just requiring passports for all Princess cruises might be a better option. But then that might discourage some business. 

Edited by milolii
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I wonder what happens to their luggage.  Usually, you do the luggage drop at curbside before entering the terminal.

See the following thread:

"Live from: Denied Passengers' Luggage Living Large on New Year's Cruise, At Least the Luggage Brings the Passports" 🥂

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

Agreed it does sound very odd as an official statement. At timestamp 3:00 the reported states "This representative said" which could mean anyone at the company.

CBS News, Miami

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/dozens-of-cruise-line-passengers-stranded-at-port-everglades/