"Sports shoes are not allowed." Please share your observations.

Taters

I would really like to book a certain HAL shore excursion in Callao (Lima), Peru, that goes to a cathedral, a monastery, and an historic home. This is the disclaimer:

"Photography is not allowed in the cathedral or at the convent. Modest attire is required for visiting churches or cathedrals; knees, shoulders and midriffs must be covered; shorts and capri-length pants are not allowed. Sports shoes are not allowed."

I can understand the modest attire requirement, but not the shoes.  I prefer to wear tennis shoes when on excursions as it gives me the best traction.  Has anyone been turned away from a HAL excursion for not adhering to this requirement?

TIA for the feedback.

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its the cathedral requiring the attire, not HAL, and such attire requirements are common in many religious sites. 

I realize that, but I've seen this "no sport shoes" requirement on several HAL tour descriptions in several different ports around the world over the past few years.  I've been to plenty of cathedrals and have always dressed appropriately, so I am wondering if someone with experience going on one of these tours can chime in.  Thanks!

Edited by Taters

You won't be turned away from the excursion - HAL will gladly take your ticket and put you on the bus.

BUT

you may get questioned at the venue.   Some venues may allow you to "rent" shoes or remove shoes.  Or they may say nothing at all, but they may be thinking bad thoughts in their heads - there goes another XXXXX tourist who doesn't respect our traditions.

It's always best to respect the wishes of the venue.   I would err on the more conservative side.

Why risk being turned away or engaging in an unpleasant conversation with someone at the site over the definition of a "sport shoe" in Spanish...

Regardless of what someone may relate to you here based on  their past experience, what happens in your situation WILL be different.   

image.thumb.png.efdc2469cb964101244350bca420076b.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While I have not been on this particular excursion, I have traveled in Peru and have seen people turned away for violating dress requirements at some religious sites, though mostly for wearing shorts and having bare shoulders.  

What historic home are you visiting?

I assume that you are visiting the Lima Cathedral and  the Convent of San Francisco.

In most cases the only place where you will find accurate information on the restrictions is at the entrance to the site itself, by which time it will be too late.

While you might be get away with it, usually if they list such a restriction it is because the tour vendor has given them that information.  The vendor would have the experience and knowledge to know if at least on some occasions people have been turned away.

As someone mentioned above you would be allowed to go on the excursion and board the bus, it is when you get to the venue itself where any restriction would come into play, by staff at that venue.

Depending upon the time of year, some of the restrictions may be more strictly enforced during some religious periods.

Edited by ldtr

Twice we have been to the Basilica cathedral in Leon Nicaragua, and we were required to take off our shoes while literally walking on the roof of the cathedral where all the views and domes were. Very picturesque. We were informed of this, and were glad to walk in socks in a cathedral that was constructed in 1747. Some people did not remove their shoes but most did. I agree with insidecabin and Albingirl, it is all about respect. We were allowed to walk in shoes in the alter area itself I believe. Each time I am in such awe and removing my shoes actually gets me into the cultural mood and be able to better humbly respect. 

p.s. I will often pack a pair of sport pants to pull over my shorts in order to go into a church or cathedral. or you can get a pair of those zip on pant leg pants to help with the 'dress code' of the historical religious places as well. It is an easy thing to do for such a great experience. They are not so picky about the top, as long as it isn't a tank top, but shorts frowned upon and you stick out like a sore thumb. 

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.  I will probably just have to wear my Birkenstock sandals.  I prefer my tennis shoes when a lot of walking is involved.  

I will dress appropriately, of course.  This topic was never about how to dress for the excursion, but whether anyone has had personal experience on a tour with a disclaimer like this.

1 hour ago, tuolumne couple said:

Twice we have been to the Basilica cathedral in Leon Nicaragua, and we were required to take off our shoes while literally walking on the roof of the cathedral where all the views and domes were. Very picturesque. We were informed of this, and were glad to walk in socks in a cathedral that was constructed in 1747. Some people did not remove their shoes but most did. I agree with insidecabin and Albingirl, it is all about respect. We were allowed to walk in shoes in the alter area itself I believe. Each time I am in such awe and removing my shoes actually gets me into the cultural mood and be able to better humbly respect. 

The requirement that those visiting the roof of the Cathedral of León remove their shoes is not out of religious-based respect but because the roof (as you know) is entirely white, and the no-shoes rule is an effort to avoid damage.  It was totally permissible to have one's shoes on while walking inside the Cathedral itself; the shoes only had to be removed once one got to the roof.  (Very different from the religious-based/respect dress codes that the OP was asking about.)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYarRS9wt1Q8TxwdzCKZIKY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538444564

(photo by turtles06)

I have been on excursions going into cathedrals and churches where the rules were written on the wall:

No hats, no barefeet, no shorts, no tanktops, no flash photos.

And yet, seen other Americans, in shorts, wearing ball caps and tanktops, taking flash photos inside.

This is simply rude and where the term "ugly American" comes from. At these times I am embarrassed to be an American.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The requirement that those visiting the roof of the Cathedral of León remove their shoes is not out of religious-based respect but because the roof (as you know) is entirely white, and the no-shoes rule is an effort to avoid damage.  It was totally permissible to have one's shoes on while walking inside the Cathedral itself; the shoes only had to be removed once one got to the roof. 

correct, but the no shoes policy was for both respect and damage. no argument here. I will not pretend to know what the cultural traditions were in 1747, just offering support. glad you got to visit the basilica. pretty sweet, right? But we are not talking about Nicaragua, right? I was offering support and suggestions to the original poster, not wishing to discuss our experiences.

Edited by tuolumne couple

38 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

What about people who only pack sneakers for cruises? Many people advise bringing only a carry-on and pack light for cruises. Now they must also pack other footwear? Perhaps several pairs? I'm confused.

Or not go on excursions when the excursion states that they are not allowed. There is always a choice. 

5 hours ago, albingirl said:

It's all about respect.

This is a concept completely lost on many of my fellow North Americans.  One has only to read the various dress code threads here on CC to understand that a large segment of the population is all about me, me, me, and does not understand that manners and proper dress is simply a way to show respect to one another   Both respect and personal responsibility are terms long forgotten (or never known) by many folks.  

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

What about people who only pack sneakers for cruises? Many people advise bringing only a carry-on and pack light for cruises. Now they must also pack other footwear? Perhaps several pairs? I'm confused.

Or they have the option of not going on the excursion. Just because you do not want to bring a second pair of shoes does not mean that the terms of the excursion should not apply to the sneaker only crowd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Hmm.  What about cruisers who only pack a g-string?  Now they must pack more clothes?  I am also confused.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Could the reason for "no sports shoes" be because of the squeaky noise on marble floors that will echo in the cathedrals??

I am also surprised to see that no Capri type pants are allowed.  I feel sure that I have worn those type pants in many cathedrals over the years.  Never saw that as a rule.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

Just now, Iamthesea said:

Could the reason for "no sports shoes" be because of the squeaky noise on marble floors that will echo in the cathedrals??

Regardless the reason - their Church - their rules. If someone doesn’t like the rules, they should not question the rules or expect the rules to change to accommodate their particular requests.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This is a concept completely lost on many of my fellow North Americans.  One has only to read the various dress code threads here on CC to understand that a large segment of the population is all about me, me, me, and does not understand that manners and proper dress is simply a way to show respect to one another   Both respect and personal responsibility are terms long forgotten (or never known) by many folks.  

Hank

Not just North Americans. Saw a travel group from Europe arguing with the staff at the Cathedral in Arequipa because they were stopped from entering due to attire.

Pretty much some individuals from just about anywhere.

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Regardless the reason - their Church - their rules. If someone doesn’t like the rules, they should not question the rules or expect the rules to change to accommodate their particular requests.

I'd be tempted to go inside barefoot and see how that goes. 

Edited by ChinaShrek