Single Supplement- AI

Los_Pepes

I had to book a single cabin with connecting room to my two kids on a upcoming cruise. I booked my rate as an AI and I am just now figuring out that I paid a 100% premium on an AI rate meaning that I am essentially paying for the drinks, tips and WIFI for someone not even in my room. Am I reading that correctly? 

That appears to be true most of the time.  I always book solo and the difference is often up to $1000 more for AI.  Very happy they now offer cruise only as that definitely saves if you don’t drink a lot or have Elite or higher status and only drink during those times.

13 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

I had to book a single cabin with connecting room to my two kids on a upcoming cruise. I booked my rate as an AI and I am just now figuring out that I paid a 100% premium on an AI rate meaning that I am essentially paying for the drinks, tips and WIFI for someone not even in my room. Am I reading that correctly? 

Yes. 

I don't think it's always very clear. I booked recently a cruise solo and when it asked for if I want AI, I looked at it and seemed high so just started pricing out what it would cost to pay later and it was cheaper so I opted for cruise only and then added tips.

Even now I don't know if I will do the drink package with the cost, yes I get a small discount but right now I don't see me drinking that much to warrant it so wifi maybe added and then drinks as I go. 

• Like 2

I made final payment when I booked the trip. We are only 65 days out from sailing. On the phone Celebrity said they couldn't do anything. To their credit they understood my concern/question but don't seem to be physically able to make adjustments. They were polite and empathetic at least!

• Like 1

Yes, this is one of the problems for solo cruisers if they book with the AI rate.  They get the wonderful privilege of paying for two drink packages, two internet packages, and two sets of gratuities.  I have no problem with the two sets of gratuities, but I would normally tip the cabin attendant extra at a rate that would reflect that.  Celebrity could fix this if they wanted to, but clearly they do not.  So, buyer beware.  And there is no workaround if you book a suite.  Suites automatically come with AI.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes, this is one of the problems for solo cruisers if they book with the AI rate.  They get the wonderful privilege of paying for two drink packages, two internet packages, and two sets of gratuities.  I have no problem with the two sets of gratuities, but I would normally tip the cabin attendant extra at a rate that would reflect that.  Celebrity could fix this if they wanted to, but clearly they do not.  So, buyer beware.  And there is no workaround if you book a suite.  Suites automatically come with AI.

I really wish I had know this prior to booking. I am in a connecting room with my two kids and I could have saved $500 and sunk it back into onboard experiences for them. This stings a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

I really wish I had know this prior to booking. I am in a connecting room with my two kids and I could have saved $500 and sunk it back into onboard experiences for them. This stings a bit. 

I would try to call back and see if you can reprice as cruise only and ask for the remainder in OBC. All they can say is no, but I think it’s worth a try. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CruiserMickey said:

I would try to call back and see if you can reprice as cruise only and ask for the remainder in OBC. All they can say is no, but I think it’s worth a try. 🤷🏻‍♀️

On hold with them right now waiting for a supervisor. When they pick up I will use your suggestion. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

Supervisor picked up after a 70 minute hold time. I tried to be polite but became less polite when the exact words of "rules are rules" were used by him and nothing would be done. They offered me a $100 OBC but I told them to keep it. If they are going to whack solo passengers $1000 for an AI package, they must need the money. I know I am the one who agreed to the pricing, but I do feel like I was duped. 

Just now, Retired888 said:

Can you move one kid to your room so that at least your kid gets drinks and wifi?

I asked that and was told no. That would seem logical and fair (costing Celebrity nothing) but was told no. The supervisors "rules are rules" comment really grated on me.

I am going to strip the gratuities off of the kids room when I check out and book all of my excursions from an outside vendor.  

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Unfortunately removing the gratuity from the kids room only hurts the cabin attendant and the wait staff who take care of the cabin and dining.

That is a fair point but I am paying gratuities in my room twice so it makes up for a it a bit. 

1 hour ago, Los_Pepes said:

Supervisor picked up after a 70 minute hold time. I tried to be polite but became less polite when the exact words of "rules are rules" were used by him and nothing would be done. They offered me a $100 OBC but I told them to keep it. If they are going to whack solo passengers $1000 for an AI package, they must need the money. I know I am the one who agreed to the pricing, but I do feel like I was duped. 

I’m sorry they didn’t go along with it. That sucks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Los_Pepes said:

That is a fair point but I am paying gratuities in my room twice so it makes up for a it a bit. 

Consider escalating this to the Office of the CEO via email lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com. Personally I don't think it's fair (especially the supervisor's comments) and I wouldn't let it go.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

Consider escalating this to the Office of the CEO via email lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com.

It’s amazing what can happen by going straight to the top. Have done this over the years with several big companies and each time we arrived at an amicable resolution. 

14 hours ago, Los_Pepes said:

They offered me a $100 OBC but I told them to keep it.

I think I would have kept the $100 obc but I get why you didn’t. I’m sure that felt like a bit of a slap under the circumstances. 

You’re right, this scenario would sting a bit. Someone suggested escalating to corporate and I second that suggestion. The “rules are rules” comment is just wrong. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think I would have kept the $100 obc but I get why you didn’t. I’m sure that felt like a bit of a slap under the circumstances. 

You’re right, this scenario would sting a bit. Someone suggested escalating to corporate and I second that suggestion. The “rules are rules” comment is just wrong. 

Thanks for the comment and insight. I might just let this go and look elsewhere for future trips. There were other families who were considering joining us on this sailing as they shared my kids same spring break. Last night I relayed my experience and it dissuaded them from booking.  It was six total cabins that now aren't being booked. 

16 hours ago, Los_Pepes said:

No, you're not. You're paying the same amount of gratuities that would be paid if there were 2 people in your cabin. The bathroom still needs just as much cleaning, the carpet still needs vacuuming and the bed still needs to be made. There's no less work because it's only you in there. Just give that some thought before you take out your frustration on the staff.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RichYak said:

No, you're not. You're paying the same amount of gratuities that would be paid if there were 2 people in your cabin. The bathroom still needs just as much cleaning, the carpet still needs vacuuming and the bed still needs to be made. There's no less work because it's only you in there. Just give that some thought before you take out your frustration on the staff.

If I had not booked an AI I only would have paid $122.50 in gratuities as a single in that cabin and that would have been acceptable. My double AI fee generates $245 in tips so I am paying twice. It is not really a debate. 

Edited by Los_Pepes

25 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

It is not really a debate.

The math is not debatable. Nor is the reality that you're getting screwed by Celebrity's solo passenger AI pricing. What is debatable is using those two facts as an excuse to stiff some of the staff out of their gratuities.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The math is not debatable. Nor is the reality that you're getting screwed by Celebrity's solo passenger AI pricing. What is debatable is using those two facts as an excuse to stiff some of the staff out of their gratuities.

You make a fair point and I appreciate your position. However, the room steward, to which only a portion of the tips go to, will be tipped twice for three passengers once I remove tips from one room. Since the tips are spread out amongst the room attendant, wait staff and Maître d', what I could do it remove the tips from my kids room and give the room attendant cash. I am really not interested in paying for service no one received. 

Edited by Los_Pepes