FOR YOUR 2023 CRUISING DOLLAR, DOES X MARK THE SPOT?

Spif Barwunkel

46 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

The comment about Carnival is spot on!!!!  A lot of Current/Retired/former LEO’s won’t sail on Carnival’s shorter sailings because we don’t need the BS…That’s been posted many times over many forms

I wouldn't sail on Carnimart if it were a free Panama Canal Transit in their top suite.

• Haha 4

Here is what I found out when I priced cruises.

Princess had both lower prices and better itineraries.

Oceania either had about the same prices or better than E class.  Oceania of course has better itineraries.

It would seem like X has priced themselves out of the market and shortened their itineraries.   In the past they were competitive.

I would not have priced a cruise in the past,   just chosen X.  However the oopsie on X mispricing their cruises and ticking off their cruisers and TAs led me to take a look.

• Like 3

Just off Apex over Christmas, very unhappy with the horrible fees for internet, mandatory gratuities, and new room service charges.  I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus with Royal and will not be going back to Celebrity: if I wanted NCL's Nickel & Diming BS, I would "Freestyle it!"

• Like 1

I have just been looking at UK Celebrity prices for 2024 and they are 

frightening. Around £300 ($360) per night for inclusive cruises out 

of Southampton in June. No flights are, of course, required. For 

Caribbean cruises in February the prices with flights are about the same 

but are not inclusive. In contrast, the Holland America prices in the 

Caribbean for fully inclusive cruises with flights average £225 ($270).

These are all standard balcony prices. Post COVID we have been 

giving HAL a go and like it a lot, particularly the entertainment on the

Pinnacle class ships. Everything else (dining experiences, service etc)

is comparable. Our previous allegiance to X (we are Elite Plus) looks

looks as if it is coming to an end, hastened by my dislike of the Edge 

class ships. 2023 is Silhouette’s last. summer season sailing out of 

Southampton, to be replaced by Apex in 2024. We are fortunate 

enough to be able to enjoy a lot of holidays every year but it does

mean that cost is an important consideration and Celebrity’s

current price structure inevitably means that we are increasingly

looking elsewhere.

We have  2 Celebrity cruises booked, one in December which is a 10 day on the Equinox, then a 7 day on the Reflection for May, 2024, which we booked on the Beyond. We had booked the Beyond when booking first opened, then got good prices on the 2 S Class ships. Except for the Reflection cruise, the other 2 were booked before the prices went absolutely crazy. I don't know if we can go on another  X cruise with these prices, though the S Class is way less than the E Class.

After being long-time X cruisers, DH and I had a disappointing experience on Connie in 2015 and gave Windstar a try, then went even smaller to SeaDream, which became our new cruise line of choice. Then COVID restrictions made it difficult to travel to SD’s embarkation ports in the Caribbean, so we gave X another try.

Our first cruise in The Retreat on Apex in late 2021 lined up with Windstar in terms of price and service, but by November 2022 we were paying Windstar prices for AquaClass, and The Retreat pricing had reached SeaDream levels. (In between those two, we splurged on the Royal Suite on the Edge, which was incredible, but at a much higher price point!)

While The Retreat experience is elevated, it in no way compares with SeaDream. We just can’t justify spending what X is asking these days and have a cruise booked in the Yacht Club on MSC Seascape this spring to check it out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Just off Apex over Christmas, very unhappy with the horrible fees for internet, mandatory gratuities, and new room service charges.  I am one cruise away from Diamond Plus with Royal and will not be going back to Celebrity: if I wanted NCL's Nickel & Diming BS, I would "Freestyle it!"

Other than that, which you knew about going in, how was your onboard experience?

I love Celebrity, but there was no way I was paying the all-inclusive price for Apex out of Southampton in 2024, so I booked two cruises on Cunard's new ship instead and will add their drinks package separately.

Edited by Wedgeh

Interesting comment about Retreat being full not being a good thing.  In my experience, the Retreat is always full.  We had 350 pax on our spring cruise on the Summit.  Retreat was completely sold out.  I have no idea if that was a result of move ups or not since I was in the PH and did not receive a move up offer.  But the suites seem to book up right away and many cruises I look at have no availability in suites.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting comment about Retreat being full not being a good thing.  In my experience, the Retreat is always full.  We had 350 pax on our spring cruise on the Summit.  Retreat was completely sold out.  I have no idea if that was a result of move ups or not since I was in the PH and did not receive a move up offer.  But the suites seem to book up right away and many cruises I look at have no availability in suites.

I never understood the comment about the retreat being too crowded because all of the suites were full or sold.   The retreat areas were designed for that capacity.   The same with sailing on a full ship.  The ship was designed for that capacity.   Before the  pandemic most of the ships sailed full.  During the holidays they were almost max capacity because of 3 to 4 in a cabin. The only time I ever seen the retreat lounge crowded was on embarkation or disembarkation and maybe during the officer reception.   I never had a problem in Luminae.    I know we would walk up in the evening and people would be waiting because they wanted a window table.  They can wait for it.   The shades or drapes are drawn so what is the purpose?  

The passenger to space ratio is a good tool for comparison but I think it depends on how the space is divided or utilized.  

https://www2.cruisewatch.com/top-10/ships-space-ratio/

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is an interesting thread. I have cruised for over 33 years. More than 50 cruises. Ships have changed and so have the passengers. My favorite cruise is always the one I'm currently on. My first consideration when booking a cruise is the ship. A large part of the ship is the crew. These people make the ship work for me. We always book a balcony and now the all inclusive drinks, Wi-Fi, tips package. When I board, I don't even want to spend a single second thinking about the cost. I book my specialty restaurants in advance at the time I want to go. We enjoy the evening entertainment every night. Some things are great and some things are just enjoyable. It's all better than nothing.

I book my cruises 2 years in advance. I get a decent location for a decent price. I have a great travel agency. They know what we want and they get us the best deal. I currently have 10 cruises booked. As soon as the restaurant reservations open I will book.

So I book mostly on Celebrity. Occasionally Princess. I see continuity of quality or better on both products.

We sailed on the inagural voyage of the Beyond. What a beautiful ship. Great restaurants. Captain Kate. It's obvious that Celebrity is trying to attract high end cruisers. The areas for suite customers is stunning. The specialty restaurants are incredible. The theater is unbelievable. 

I'm a happy cruiser. Money is just a tool. There are things in life.......

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, miched said:

I never understood the comment about the retreat being too crowded because all of the suites were full or sold.   The retreat areas were designed for that capacity.   The same with sailing on a full ship.  The ship was designed for that capacity.   Before the  pandemic most of the ships sailed full.  During the holidays they were almost max capacity because of 3 to 4 in a cabin. The only time I ever seen the retreat lounge crowded was on embarkation or disembarkation and maybe during the officer reception.   I never had a problem in Luminae.    I know we would walk up in the evening and people would be waiting because they wanted a window table.  They can wait for it.   The shades or drapes are drawn so what is the purpose?  

The passenger to space ratio is a good tool for comparison but I think it depends on how the space is divided or utilized.  

https://www2.cruisewatch.com/top-10/ships-space-ratio/

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I'll speak for myself with the caveat that my first Celebrity sailing will be this month (7-night) on Beyond followed by another in August (11-night) on Beyond, both in EVs.

I don't gripe about pricing. I'm full-pay in order to get what I prefer. Even so, I come knowing that service and supplies (even on Seabourn and Regent) are and likely will be for some time affected by the pandemic.

My comments prior RE the Celebrity Retreat were based upon what I have read in numerous threads (granted, this site is designed with a "gripe session" premise, being a "critic" forum).

My only point, or concern, is that if the Retreat is sold as "refined" and "exclusive" (which is touted in Celebrity disseminated information), then I (really) hope those paying for the experience get exactly what is advertised without being infringed upon by other pax with poor manners.

Simply stating poor manners are on  "every cruise line" is a copy out (and not true). The more you move up the luxury ladder the better it often is -

But, Celebrity advertised a really nice product and im trying it.

Now, hear me out...

I'm a peaceful, open minded, live your own life type. But, if you're in the Retreat, don't behave like you're on Carnival, is all im saying.

Be respectful. Be kind to staff. Be kind to fellow pax. Don't chair hog. Share a smile. (I read in a number of threads of those gone nearly apoplectic at a mis-delivered food item). C'Mon, man (or person/they/them - no one left out). 🤗

Have a drink and chill. Use a chair as long as you're in it.

Don't make me have to get up at 4am to put my stuff on more chairs than I need in an effort to make sure I have a chair when I want it (I mean after my breakfast, spa treatment, two hours of griping in the ears of every staff member in the Retreat, followed by my lunchtime drinking bender at the Sunset bar). I'll be in those chairs. All of me, in three of them, right after I wake up from my afternoon sunburn session sleeping off the drink at the aft of the ship. So don't move my stuff, man (or woman. Or person. Or you, they, them, who). I'm in those chairs (or at least will be, by 5pm). Can't you see my stuff on them? I'm IN those chairs! 😅

Peace and good memories, friends (unless you're a moronic chair hog). 🧜‍♂️

Edited by 4-2-N-8

18 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

My only point, or concern, is that if the Retreat is sold as "refined" and "exclusive" (which is touted in Celebrity disseminated information), then I (really) hope those paying for the experience get exactly what is advertised without being infringed upon by other pax with poor manners.

Simply stating poor manners are on  "every cruise line" is a copy out (and not true). The more you move up the luxury ladder the better it often is -

But, Celebrity advertised a really nice product and im trying it.

Now, hear me out...

I'm a peaceful, open minded, live your own life type. But, if you're in the Retreat, don't behave like you're on Carnival, is all im saying.

Be respectful. Be kind to staff. Be kind to fellow pax. Don't chair hog. Share a smile. (I read in a number of threads of those gone nearly apoplectic at a mis-delivered food item). C'Mon, man (or person/they/them - no one left out). 🤗

Have a drink and chill. Use a chair as long as you're in it.

Don't make me have to get up at 4am to put my stuff on more chairs than I need in an effort to make sure I have a chair when I want it (I mean after my breakfast, spa treatment, two hours of griping in the ears of every staff member in the Retreat, followed by my lunchtime drinking bender at the Sunset bar). I'll be in those chairs. All of me, in three of them, right after I wake up from my afternoon sunburn session sleeping off the drink at the aft of the ship. So don't move my stuff, man (or woman. Or person. Or you, they, them, who).

Peace and good memories, friends. 🧜‍♂️

You think having money to pay full price for a suite means someone is respectful, kind, and all that you describe and that not having money means people behave “like they are on Carnival”?  That doesn't match with my experience.  I meet kind and respectful people from all walks of life and rude and obnoxious people from all walks of life.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
17 minutes ago, prmssk said:

You think having money to pay full price for a suite means someone is respectful, kind, and all that you describe and that not having money means people behave like they are on Carnival?  That doesn't match with my experience.  I meet kind and respectful people from all walks of life and rude and obnoxious people from all walks of life.

Not what I said at all, and not the implication of my comments. 

The base point is that if something is designed as exclusive and refined (Celebrity's depiction, not mine. I'm coming aboard to experience it and decide for myself), then I believe that those in it should adhere to the norms of the experience.

I couldn't care less what you (the plural "you," not the singular "you" specifically) pay to gain access, but if you (plural "you," be you a pauper or a potentate) gain access, then please behave in the norms that go with that environment. 

Countless, and I mean countless threads on this site contain gripes about the Retreat.

I just provided one perspective, granted premised purely upon observation of others' commentary.

I make no bones about it. Cunard has a class system on their ships. It's a legacy that many enjoy. I love it!

Seems like a few other lines, Celebrity among them, might be trying it out.

Don't blame me for liking the ever higher prices and more exclusivity. I want more exclusivity. I'll pay for it. I hope they keep raising prices. I like those crazy cool new ship designs.

Please Celebrity, and I know it's early to be asking for this year's Christmas (or however you celebrate your holiday) present, keep the meanies out and at bay!

Hear ye, hear ye! Chair hogs (and overly gripy people) of the world, be banished!

Peace and love and joy to all (chair hogs excluded) 🏝️

Edited by 4-2-N-8

14 minutes ago, prmssk said:

That doesn't match with my experience.  I meet kind and respectful people from all walks of life and rude and obnoxious people from all walks of life

We've been privileged to experience both non-Retreat and Retreat accommodation.  I'm sorry the person who has, by his own comment, not sailed on X and is commenting as through he has, that he shares an opinion on the clientele.  There have been very few occasions of rudeness, thoughtlessness, or manners other than what we enjoy in our day-to-day life.  IMO those comments are rude and classless and insinuate that those who do not share Retreat level are beneath him/her and that those who are taking advantage of the move up offer will water down the upper class he is used to.  Please enjoy your cruise(s), walk the ship in areas other than the Retreat, and you may find very pleasant, kind, and interesting folks no matter which accommodation they have chosen then come back to us and perhaps apologize for presuming otherwise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We've been privileged to experience both non-Retreat and Retreat accommodation.  I'm sorry the person who has, by his own comment, not sailed on X and is commenting as through he has, that he shares an opinion on the clientele.  There have been very few occasions of rudeness, thoughtlessness, or manners other than what we enjoy in our day-to-day life.  IMO those comments are rude and classless and insinuate that those who do not share Retreat level are beneath him/her and that those who are taking advantage of the move up offer will water down the upper class he is used to.  Please enjoy your cruise(s), walk the ship in areas other than the Retreat, and you may find very pleasant, kind, and interesting folks no matter which accommodation they have chosen then come back to us and perhaps apologize for presuming otherwise.

I look down on no one. I've neither stated nor hinted as much.

I look down on behavior. This, I never deny.

I accept that I have yet to sail Celebrity, but again, I'm simply amplifying what others have stated. I'm like the Libs of TikTok of this forum, analogously.

I don't think it is inaccurate to state there are quite a few Celebrity Retreat Debbie Downers on these forums. It makes me (somewhat) question my decision to try Celebrity. But, alas, I shall give it a whirl all the same and be my own judge.

I'll be Judgy McJudgystein!

49 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I look down on no one. I've neither stated nor hinted as much.

I look down on behavior. This, I never deny.

I accept that I have yet to sail Celebrity, but again, I'm simply amplifying what others have stated. I'm like the Libs of TikTok of this forum, analogously.

I don't think it is inaccurate to state there are quite a few Celebrity Retreat Debbie Downers on these forums. It makes me (somewhat) question my decision to try Celebrity. But, alas, I shall give it a whirl all the same and be my own judge.

I'll be Judgy McJudgystein!

Wow!  You seem to have disturbed a hornets nest 🙃  I understand your willingness to pay for quality. I do hope you write a trip review. Satisfaction depends so heavily on reality meeting expectations, and Celebrity advertising does tend to set expectations on the high side - as do most cruise lines. Plus, unlike luxury lines, Retreat passengers do spend a lot of time in the non-Retreat parts of the ship (less so on port intensive itineraries).  It will be interesting to hear your opinion once the cruise is completed.

We like Celebrity. It has been our cruise line of choice for several years. We have continued to sail X, not even considering any other cruise line because it has worked for us. Has there been a glitch every now and then, sure, an unexpected occurrence or inconvenience, absolutely, but nothing that would challenge our desire to stay the course. There are so many positives about Celebrity that, until now, any negatives have been insignificant. That may be changing, but not because of anything negative on X’s part, just happenstance.

With very few exceptions, our cruises are itinerary based. What is left of our bucket list requires overseas travel and we will not fly across the pond for less than a 12-night cruise with several days to enjoy the embarkation city. It is difficult to find an X cruise that includes our preferred   bucket list destination(s) without including many ports to which we have already been. Princess and Oceania do offer several new ports on their itineraries. We have not cruised on either. Whereas Oceania offers the best itineraries, they are very port-intensive, and we do take a ship or private excursion wherever we go. We enjoy sea days, at least 3 on a 12-day cruise, and an overnight. That makes for some much-needed rest and relaxation for us old folks.  

Our preference would be to continue cruising with Celebrity until we no longer have the desire or the ability to cruise. That will probably not be the case. Hopefully, when we do choose our next preferred itinerary, the cruise line we choose will provide an enjoyable and worthwhile experience that matches the destinations.    

• Like 2

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Wow!  You seem to have disturbed a hornets nest 🙃  I understand your willingness to pay for quality. I do hope you write a trip review. Satisfaction depends so heavily on reality meeting expectations, and Celebrity advertising does tend to set expectations on the high side - as do most cruise lines. Plus, unlike luxury lines, Retreat passengers do spend a lot of time in the non-Retreat parts of the ship (less so on port intensive itineraries).  It will be interesting to hear your opinion once the cruise is completed.

I appreciate the feedback, yours as well as everyone.

I harbor no ill thought toward any commenter, though I do present my observations (which as you note, may have caused some consternation. Not intended).

Everyone has an opinion and a position. I very much respect it. I merely offered an alternative perspective. 

Heck, everyone can read with their own eyes about the (many) issues brought up by CC members about the Retreat, the Luminae food, the "I didn't get my peach cobbler a la mode delivered at the specific moment in time" end of the world problems.

I'm only stating observations. 

I am looking forward to the experiences. I hope Celebrity comes through better than (often) portrayed here. I'm someone who will buy EV and Iconics every time if this works out. I like the ships.

I for certain will offer kindness to those staff who serve me (even if they get a drink wrong or a delayed meal delivery). I'll never be a selfish chair hog.

I just hope the behavior of the pax on the cruises with me will afford all others the same extension of respect, commentary on CC depicting the opposite notwithstanding. 

Don't let me down, Celebrity. 

I will plan to write my observations.

Edited by 4-2-N-8