New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

I have to say I’m quite disappointed with this change. We have our first cruise with Celebrity, having been persuaded by family who’ve cruised and loved the line. We don’t use room service every day, but I need to take medication with food, so if hubby wants a lay in (not unreasonable on a sea day, or holiday) I can still keep to medication regime without breakfasting alone.  Whilst I don’t think cruise lines changing their offering can be stopped, surely honouring what is offered at the time of booking should be maintained. It’s poor customer service, and I’m now feeling far less enthused about my upcoming cruise. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CaraLark said:

I have to say I’m quite disappointed with this change. We have our first cruise with Celebrity, having been persuaded by family who’ve cruised and loved the line. We don’t use room service every day, but I need to take medication with food, so if hubby wants a lay in (not unreasonable on a sea day, or holiday) I can still keep to medication regime without breakfasting alone.  Whilst I don’t think cruise lines changing their offering can be stopped, surely honouring what is offered at the time of booking should be maintained. It’s poor customer service, and I’m now feeling far less enthused about my upcoming cruise. 

Take a few snacks from the OV, fruit, yogurt, muffin, wrap it up, put it in the fridge until needed.  Also, if you only do RS say 2x, it'll be $20+grats, not really all that much when considering the cost of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CaraLark said:

Whilst I don’t think cruise lines changing their offering can be stopped, surely honouring what is offered at the time of booking should be maintained. It’s poor customer service, and I’m now feeling far less enthused about my upcoming cruise. 

This is the boat (no pun intended) I'm also in. None of these individual changes will bankrupt us or ruin our entire vacation, but there's something tacky about booking and then having 3-4 cost cutting changes rolled out the week after for immediate deployment. In the upcoming 4 months, what else will change from the promised onboard experience we booked? Mandatory cork fee for all carry-on wine? Charging for food at the pool grill? MDR supplements? Even if it doesn't happen, it's a concern (and therefore added stress) leading up to being on the ship. It's not really acceptable for things like this to be trickling out from other passengers onboard, while contradicting existing website content.

I understand many people on this board have fond memories of prior Celebrity cruises (rightfully so), however as someone just beginning to know the brand, these actions make the whole company come off as cheap and untrustworthy. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

So glad we gave up Celebrity after many cruises years ago because of the extra charges. We changed to Viking. We pay more but I don’t mind. That shows how much I hate cruise lines charging for something that was once included.  We are also branching out to Oceania on their new Vista ship. 

We have a company paid cruise on Celebrity coming up in June so we’re going.  No way would I be going if we were paying. 

1 hour ago, kguerriero said:

This is the boat (no pun intended) I'm also in. None of these individual changes will bankrupt us or ruin our entire vacation, but there's something tacky about booking and then having 3-4 cost cutting changes rolled out the week after for immediate deployment. In the upcoming 4 months, what else will change from the promised onboard experience we booked? Mandatory cork fee for all carry-on wine? Charging for food at the pool grill? MDR supplements? Even if it doesn't happen, it's a concern (and therefore added stress) leading up to being on the ship. It's not really acceptable for things like this to be trickling out from other passengers onboard, while contradicting existing website content.

I understand many people on this board have fond memories of prior Celebrity cruises (rightfully so), however as someone just beginning to know the brand, these actions make the whole company come off as cheap and untrustworthy. 

As Shakespeare would say, this is all "Much ado about nothing."

• Like 2

Looks like they are making room service complementary for Zenith members. Found on their FAQ:

"Room service is available any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom (Room service fee of $9.95* applies). An 18% gratuity is additional and will automatically be added to your check.

*Room service fee subject to change without notice. Room service is complimentary for guests of The Retreat and Zenith Captain Club members."

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Looks like they are making room service complementary for Zenith members. Found on their FAQ:

"Room service is available any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom (Room service fee of $9.95* applies). An 18% gratuity is additional and will automatically be added to your check.

*Room service fee subject to change without notice. Room service is complimentary for guests of The Retreat and Zenith Captain Club members."

Well then it's great!

Harris

Denver, CO

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jagoffee said:

IMO the design of the Edge Class ships is purposely trying to discourage in cabin dining. 
My wife and I have been on 50+ cruises and we have never used  Room Service for dinner or lunch.  We occasionally order Room Service  breakfast ( on early excursion days). 

If we were given a choice for even higher  cruise fares or a charge for Room Service, we would prefer the lower cruise fare.  I think there is no doubt that Room Service is a significant variable cost and very difficult to budget and plan.  Reading this thread makes me feel like I have been subsidizing those that frequently use Room Service. Dare I suggest maybe even abuse the feature?

I cannot count how many times it has been reported that although the room service menu is limited in some cabin categories, people just write in what the want and it is delivered.

A surcharge for Room Service is a reasonable approach, but it easy to say for a person who does not place much value in the benefit.  I suspect most cruisers will not be impacted by this change. (Since they do not use it).  Is $12 each time you use it really unreasonable?

I also have never ordered Room Service at a hotel.

It could have been worse, Celebrity could have eliminated Room Service.  I suspect Celebrity’s objective to reduce the use of Room Service or make it pay for itself.  

Or cut down on having the staff continuously run to rooms ordering room service daily or more.

10 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

As Shakespeare would say, this is all "Much ado about nothing."

He might also say;

"To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous room service fees,
Or to take arms against a sea of salty troubles on Celebrity ships
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand penny pinching fees, bro " 😁

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Take a few snacks from the OV, fruit, yogurt, muffin, wrap it up, put it in the fridge until needed.  Also, if you only do RS say 2x, it'll be $20+grats, not really all that much when considering the cost of the cruise.

Wouldn't trust the cabin "fridge" for dairy items like yogurt.  It is not a fridge, it is a cooler. On some ships I have found it to really chill the contents, on others not so much.  That's why people who need medicine refrigerated order portable fridges from Special Needs.

9 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wouldn't trust the cabin "fridge" for dairy items like yogurt.  It is not a fridge, it is a cooler. On some ships I have found it to really chill the contents, on others not so much.  That's why people who need medicine refrigerated order portable fridges from Special Needs.

But one still has the fruit and the muffin

13 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

You can go to the buffet and grab what you li....whoops, spoke to soon, forget that idea too! 

LOL-- " grab what you li--ke " ???

That reminds me of the time I could have been arrested if I grabbed , etc, etc. on a cruise in 2013.

Regarding charges---- Pay 'em, don't pay 'em ---- enough about $ 9.95  room service .

• Like 1

Celebrity changed their website -

When you’re on vacation, a long morning slumber with an indulgent breakfast in bed is always in the cards. Continental Breakfast room service is complimentary between 6 a.m. and 11 a.m.. Guests of The Retreat enjoy an expanded complimentary room service menu 24 hours a day.

Tuck into eggs, pancakes, and fresh fruit, or enjoy a cozy movie night with a burger and fries from the comfort of your cabin. There’s a mix of hot and cold all-day items, plus plenty of kids’ options to choose from.

Sailing on the Silhouette soon and am wondering if the new room service charge is showing up?

This comment may not be popular, however, when I sign on to a cruise that is touted as full service, that is exactly what I expect.  No additional costs other than what I bargained for.  

Many times my sissy and I prefer to have dinner in the quiet of our room and order nothing more than a salad.  No, my legs are not broke and I'm grateful that I do not have a disability that keeps me out of the buffet due to mobility issues.  What makes me angry is I am paying my gratuities  plus always extra for a room service delivery.  Now you want to charge me a flat fee for a salad and tea? Bah humbug. This is a watered down, nickel and dime deal.

Edited by lovey1103
spelling
  • Like 5

On 1/1/2023 at 12:17 PM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Honestly, if it keeps the price we pay for the cruise lower, I'm cool with this change. We only do room service for breakfast. We'd do room service for lunch or dinner if we had a dining room table which only exist in suites. The menu for room service is also not very alluring.

Same here. The only thing we order is coffee in the morning and we always tip the person bringing it. 

• Like 1

This charge for room service is really disappointing. Meanwhile, over at Celebrity rival Oceania, they just expanded their room service menu and also allow all passenger classes to order room service from the main dining room menu during MDR hours. All at no extra charge. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This charge for room service is really disappointing. Meanwhile, over at Celebrity rival Oceania, they just expanded their room service menu and also allow all passenger classes to order room service from the main dining room menu during MDR hours. All at no extra charge. 

Silversea also has this but then their cruise fares are about twice as expensive as Celebrity. It all depends on your price point

• Like 1