What would make you stop cruising on Celebrity?

TrueCruiseaholic

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

used consistently for 30 years is going to lose its sparkle.  This is exactly what my ex told me...

Iv'e kept Mrs. Dawg from being an ex by going in for a dry dock overhaul every five years.

I'ts a wonder what an good barnacle scrape and an engine overhaul can do. 😁

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We now cruise on Princess and NCL as well as Celebrity, depending on the itinerary. By doing this we will hopefully keep the excitement going while avoiding the "burned-out" phase which would seem inevitable for us if we only cruise on one line.

So, sleeping around is a good thing? 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Thanks, Ken the wanderer. 😉

Hey, if Celebrity or Princess would have offered the B2B itinerary from Athens to Cape Town by way of Dubai that we just went on, we would have definitely opted to cruise with them (see my signature section for my Live From thread). But because that wasn’t the case, we were able to try one of NCL’s smaller 2200 capacity ships with the average passenger age around 62 yo and had a great time. That is once we stopped comparing NCL to our recent Celebrity and Princess cruises we’ve been on lately. 😉

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Iv'e kept Mrs. Dawg from being an ex by going in for a dry dock overhaul every five years.

I'ts a wonder what an good barnacle scrape and an engine overhaul can do. 😁

Well I finally learned my lesson and while recently in Naples, FL I took the advice of the ageless Dolly Parton who says, if it’s baggin, saggin or draggin…get it nipped, tucked and sucked.  Oceania here I come!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have been a cruiser for a very long time, and I am not going to stop being a cruiser. I do land travel as well, but cruising fills a different bucket for me (and not one that equates to a land-based AI either).

I've learned to never say never. All cruise lines have periods where they go up and periods where they go down in my own hierarchy of favorites. I've only ever permanently crossed one line off my list for consideration, although there are a couple more that would not figure very high....

I've no loyalty to any line -- well, not to any line still sailing. I've sailed off and on with X since 1997 in the Michel Roux days (definitely an "up") and then loved X all over again with the launch of the S-class ships, they still remain to me some of the most interesting and well thought out interiors of current ships sailing.

Right now, almost all lines are having to find ways to tighten the figurative belt. As some others have said, it's a matter of finding which ship still offers the best fit overall, given all available options.  I can't go back in time and enjoy cruises of the past. 

Since the restart, X has been at the top of my list, and I've cruised with them four times. This year I have cruises also booked on Oceania, Azamara, and HAL.  I like variety and usually am pretty good at enjoying the differences rather than lamenting them. Will X still be near the top of my list for 2024?  Remains to be seen...

We sailed Celebrity last summer for the first time because we had taken 6 Disney cruises and were disappointed by the similar itineraries and the same menus.  We got a deal on Equinox in a suite for about the same as we would spend on Disney (no included drinks or tips) and we had a great time.  Cruising Beyond in April and Equinox again in November.  Perhaps we will get fatigue on X but not so far.

Edited by RMac713
spelling

2 hours ago, The Doctor's Lady said:

Bad food. Mediocre food. Ordinary food. We cruise Celebrity for the food experiences.

With Celebrity eliminating 40% of the choice for starters and Entrées (going from 5 choices each to 3 choices each) and keeping the pasta and chicken dishes preferentially to the more expensive items makes me more reluctant to book future cruises.  I'm sailing on Beyond on Jan. 22 and the new changes will be fully in effect. I will have to see how the reduced dining experience compares to previous cruises.

Edited by dreamer321
fix typo
  • Thanks 1

We switched from HA to Celebrity in 1993 because of the food.

Been on over 160 Celebrity cruises each since.

Food has been constantly declining.

Sailing Apex this month.

From what I hear about the changes maybe never again !!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

We switched from HA to Celebrity in 1993 because of the food.

Been on over 160 Celebrity cruises each since.

Food has been constantly declining.

Sailing Apex this month.

From what I hear about the changes maybe never again !!!

So what was GOOD food like in 1993?

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Good question but before you jump ship, peruse the boards of a few other lines, there is a growing common thread.  I’m finding that for my $$ I just shop around and find what seems best for me knowing nothing is going to be 100% perfect on the lines that I will consider.

BINGO!!! Planning something for my 60th in 2024 and wanted to consider other lines. Came to CC and was looking around the Princess and Viking forums and I could have sworn that everyone here got cloned. Same gripes, different line. 😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Good question but before you jump ship, peruse the boards of a few other lines, there is a growing common thread.  I’m finding that for my $$ I just shop around and find what seems best for me knowing nothing is going to be 100% perfect on the lines that I will consider.

I looked at the Princess board, not much going on there.  Not a massive number of cuts like Celebrity in the last week.

The same for O.  

For me it would be several cuts degrading the experience or pricing themselves out of the market.

Edited by NMTraveller

So tonight I got a voice mail and email from Regent thanking me for my interest. I’ve never sailed with them. I don’t even think I’ve ever visited they’re website. I have no idea how they got my name, email address, or phone number. But now I have a Personal Consultant there. I don’t know whether to be thankful or creeped out… or both. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

understood, but there are many land/resort vacations that offer as much or more value. The cruise lines should pause a bit because many of us will stop patronizing them if they continue to treat us so disrespectfully and just do land resorts. The BS factor on cruises is getting too high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redjetz said:

understood, but there are many land/resort vacations that offer as much or more value. The cruise lines should pause a bit because many of us will stop patronizing them if they continue to treat us so disrespectfully and just do land resorts. The BS factor on cruises is getting too high.

Oh I 100% agree.  In spring 2022, me, my son and his wife spent 2 weeks at a fantastic 100% all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.  Direct ocean front, awesome food etc. far far less than any cruise would have cost the three of us.  Most of my vacations are land based, but I do really enjoy cruising and have no problem going solo if my husband does not want to go, it's not always his thing and my son won't get on a cruise ship ever. 

• Like 2

My two cents.  We are loyal Celebrity cruisers.  I guess just like Hertz or Avis, Hilton or Marriott, you pick one and stick with it if it seems okay.  We have been on 30 plus Celebrity sailings, and one or two each on the other mainstream lines, with a few on Regent and Tauck's Swiss Emerald River cruises.

We just like the feel of Celebrity and will stay with them.  We are in our mid-seventies, and love cruising anywhere in the world.  The three Regent cruises we were on were great, food was better than Celebrity, but the ships were just too small.  And not a lot of activities to choose from on sea days.  We like the 2,800 to 3,000 capacity of Celebrity's S-class, our favorite ships.  The new mega ships do not interest us anymore either, as we do not need all the stuff going on, such as ice skating, wall climbing, bumper cars, water slides, needing to make reservations for on-board activities, and such.  We still, however, like the entertainment, music, activities, and food on Celebrity, as the ships still have access to a lot of activities, without the crowds.  Just not the amusement park atmosphere of the Mega Ships, which we probably would have liked if we were younger.  We actually went to Disney World in its heyday, for twenty four years in a row, beginning when it opened in 1972.  

So, for us, it still is Celebrity.  Oceania is just too small for us.  We have said good-bye to the M-Class, nice ships, but getting a little old.  And the E-Class, of which we have been on just two cruises, did not interest us either.  We did not like the Infinite Balcony, and did not like pretty much everything being centered in the Grand Atrium area.  We love the layout of the S-Class ships.  We love music and dancing.  And, on the S-Class, you have the Central area by the Passport Bar, the Martini Bar, one floor up, the new Beer Bar (formerly Cellar Masters) also on five, the Ensemble Lounge up on Deck five, the Sky Lounge up on top, the Sunset Bar, Aft, the stage at the pool.  Many areas for music, dancing, or just relaxing, while on the E-class we found very few areas for such.   We thought the Night Club atmosphere in their two story attempt at a night club on the E-Class did not feel inviting,  no windows, dark, and you would not even know you were on a cruise ship. 

So, for us old couple, it is still Celebrity, but only the S-class.  As even they are getting older too, I guess we will have to try something different, but NOT YET.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

BINGO!!! Planning something for my 60th in 2024 and wanted to consider other lines. Came to CC and was looking around the Princess and Viking forums and I could have sworn that everyone here got cloned. Same gripes, different line. 😁😁😁

This place should have been named Cruise Gripers! 😉

Here's our secret to finding the best cruise or cruise line...

... Just find the one with the least CC'ers on it. 😁

• Haha 1

The increased prices for a decreased experience. My Silhouette October cruise convinced me Celebrity has lost its charm and service and quality are heading downmarket fast. The latest changes confirm I will not be booking any more Celebrity cruises as land holidays offer better value and quality for less money.  

• Like 1

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last October/November (B2B NZ and Aus).  It was our first Celebrity cruise and we'd looked forward to it for a couple of years for many reasons, not least we were under the impression that it would be an upmarket experience.  Normally when I get home I write a fair review of our whole cruise, but this was the first time it could all be summed up with, "it was OK, but nothing special", so as a result we won't be choosing Celebrity again anytime soon and I didn't bother with writing a long review as a lot of it would be negative/disappointing.