Live From Rotterdam (Jan 4-14, 2023)

Charlene1985

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Charlene1985 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I wanted to start this last night but sleep called and I answered. 

Because of a reversed vacation day approval at work, I was forced to fly into FLL the morning of embarkation.  Yes, I know it’s a bad idea, and luckily despite the storms in the southeast, I made it, along with my checked luggage, and was upgraded to 1st class.  We arrived around 8:15. 

We had two hours to kill, so we gathered our luggage and Ubered to Lester’s Diner.  Great food, plenty of other travelers with suitcases, and made me feel like I was back in NY at a typical diner with a novel-length menu.  

We arrived at Port Everglades at 10:45 for 11:00 check in.  Breezed thru quickly and boarded around 11:20. We carried on all our luggage and we were unpacked by 12:30.  We booked a Vista Suite primarily to earn the extra 10 cruise credits and declined the upsells for Signature and Neptune Suites.  We also declined Club Orange. 

The room is beautiful with modest decor, a decent sized balcony, and tons of storage space.  We had ample space to unpack all our clothes (10 dresses, 12 pairs of shoes for me) and 8 shirts and slacks and 2 suits for him.  Plus daytime attire, running attire, and toiletries.  I brought my own shampoo and conditioner- I color my hair and prefer my own. 

After unpacking, we went up on deck 10 for sail away.  Deck 9 was too smoky while still at port.  Sail away was great and the toot fest with Eurodam, who departed shortly after we did was phenomenal, and much appreciated. 

After sail away, we explored the ship a bit and checked out what was available in the fitness center.  We have 8pm seating and since I pulled a work all-nighter the night of the 3rd, by 5pm, I had been awake for 36 hours straight.  The cappuccino from the Crow’s Nest was perfect and we watched the sunset.  Showered and proceeded to dinner.  

We were seated at a 2 person table though we did not get a table along the railing as I requested when we booked in September.  But a beautiful table just the same. Our food was good, not great, but I’m not one to complain about much.  I asked for fruit for dessert and that was honored.  Dinner was finished at 9:30.  We were in bed by 9:45.  Slept great and didn’t hear a peep until my alarm at 8:00. 

So far, I am impressed with Rotterdam.  She’s a beautiful ship.  We are pleased with our decision.   The WiFi has worked fine on my iPhone and is strong enough that I can talk to my cat and see the video on my cat camera set up at home.  Email and iMessage works fine, and I have messaged photos to my Mom without much issue.  

Now a relaxing sea day.  I’ll update later tonight or tomorrow. 

Edited by Charlene1985
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I work for an airline so I know first hand how much things can go awry and how much they did these past few weeks.  But when I’m forced to give up a vacation day (or volunteer to) during weather events, other people make their journeys.  This time it worked out for me as well despite having zero control over the situation.  

Lucky for me I have access to crew duty times, aircraft planning, and the ability to fly on the extra jumpseats so I knew in my case, there was a good chance this flight was going to operate with minimal delay. 

• Like 3

Also on Rotterdam.  We discovered that our cabin is way too close to the Rock Band.  We're working with Guest Services to see if they can find somewhere else for us.  Until then, there will be no sleep until the band shuts down for the night.  😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

I wanted to start this last night but sleep called and I answered. 

Because of a reversed vacation day approval at work, I was forced to fly into FLL the morning of embarkation.  Yes, I know it’s a bad idea, and luckily despite the storms in the southeast, I made it, along with my checked luggage, and was upgraded to 1st class.  We arrived around 8:15. 

We had two hours to kill, so we gathered our luggage and Ubered to Lester’s Diner.  Great food, plenty of other travelers with suitcases, and made me feel like I was back in NY at a typical diner with a novel-length menu.  

We arrived at Port Everglades at 10:45 for 11:00 check in.  Breezed thru quickly and boarded around 11:20. We carried on all our luggage and we were unpacked by 12:30.  We booked a Vista Suite primarily to earn the extra 10 cruise credits and declined the upsells for Signature and Neptune Suites.  We also declined Club Orange. 

The room is beautiful with modest decor, a decent sized balcony, and tons of storage space.  We had ample space to unpack all our clothes (10 dresses, 12 pairs of shoes for me) and 8 shirts and slacks and 2 suits for him.  Plus daytime attire, running attire, and toiletries.  I brought my own shampoo and conditioner- I color my hair and prefer my own. 

After unpacking, we went up on deck 10 for sail away.  Deck 9 was too smoky while still at port.  Sail away was great and the toot fest with Eurodam, who departed shortly after we did was phenomenal, and much appreciated. 

After sail away, we explored the ship a bit and checked out what was available in the fitness center.  We have 8pm seating and since I pulled a work all-nighter the night of the 3rd, by 5pm, I had been awake for 36 hours straight.  The cappuccino from the Crow’s Nest was perfect and we watched the sunset.  Showered and proceeded to dinner.  

We were seated at a 2 person table though we did not get a table along the railing as I requested when we booked in September.  But a beautiful table just the same. Our food was good, not great, but I’m not one to complain about much.  I asked for fruit for dessert and that was honored.  Dinner was finished at 9:30.  We were in bed by 9:45.  Slept great and didn’t hear a peep until my alarm at 8:00. 

So far, I am impressed with Rotterdam.  She’s a beautiful ship.  We are pleased with our decision.   The WiFi has worked fine on my iPhone and is strong enough that I can talk to my cat and see the video on my cat camera set up at home.  Email and iMessage works fine, and I have messaged photos to my Mom without much issue.  

Now a relaxing sea day.  I’ll update later tonight or tomorrow. 

Thank you for posting from the Rotterdam, I am sailing on her in March, so I am reading your posts with great interest.  Take good care of her for us LOL

Edited by doone

37 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

I work for an airline so I know first hand how much things can go awry and how much they did these past few weeks.  But when I’m forced to give up a vacation day (or volunteer to) during weather events, other people make their journeys.  This time it worked out for me as well despite having zero control over the situation.  

Lucky for me I have access to crew duty times, aircraft planning, and the ability to fly on the extra jumpseats so I knew in my case, there was a good chance this flight was going to operate with minimal delay. 

I remember that, you work at Atlanta airport, so you made it on time, have a great cruise, I'll be there in 2 weeks.

Day 2 complete.  Started with breakfast in the MDR.  Service was slow, but best omelet I have ever eaten.  Cottage cheese and fruit were terrific though the tablespoon of cottage cheese wasn’t nearly enough.  The coffee was very good.  But I hate Starbucks if that gives you perspective on my tastes. 

Husband got a massage which he said was great despite the upsell spiel he had to listen to.  She said he had wrinkles.  He said “I’m 51.  I’m supposed to have wrinkles.”  I used the fitness center.  If they lowered the temperature by 30 degrees it still would have been too hot.  But good training for summertime, right? 

Spent the afternoon at Sea View pool.  Was pleased to find lounge chairs on the port side and didn’t smell cigarette smoke.   Grabbed the crossword puzzle from Guest Services, filled in five clues before giving up, and showered for the Captain’s toast at 7pm.  

Arrived at dinner and was pleasantly surprised to find ourselves being seated at the table I requested when booking.  Dinner was very good tonight and took about 1:30.  I splurged for real dessert and the strawberries romanoff was fantastic.  Tonight was our first gala/formal/dressy night.  He wore a suit and tie, I wore a long formal dress (we love dressing up) and we were definitely in the minority.  But we did see some tuxes and a few ladies in full length dresses. 

After dinner, we listened to the band playing at Rolling Stones Rock room.  Came back to find a towel animal and chocolate on our bed.  Happy to have a pet doggie for the rest of our voyage.  

These aren’t complaints that would keep me from sailing HAL but just things I observed:

1) the bottom of the shower grout lines are already black with mold.  My cleaning lady doesn’t get the corners of my shower well enough either and I get down on hands and knees to scrub it off so I know it’s a lot of work and time consuming.  I’m sure the staffing model doesn’t provide for that type of cleaning. But the ship is 14 months old.  It’ll be absolutely gross in no time. 
2) Dirty glasses and towels everywhere.  I always return my dirty glass to the bar or a waiter and put my towel in the bin.  So I blame lazy people.  But I was shocked at the mess just the same.  The amount of napkins that blew off the back of the ship into the water was awful.  I hate people who litter, intentionally or by carelessness. 

For the ladies:  if you have thick hair or long hair, bring your own hair dryer.  I have a European model so I brought that after seeing a picture of the one they provide onboard.   I’m glad I did as the provided one isn’t that great.  

Tomorrow is Grand Turk. 

• Like 4

@Charlene1985I'm reliving my Rotterdam cruise last November through your posts.  Thank you!

Are they giving out paper napkins at the Seaview Pool?  On my cruises there were no napkins provided at all which I presume is for the exact reason you mentioned.....paper blowing into the ocean.

I thought my hair dryer worked as well as my home one but understand that everyone has different hair.

Although you shouldn't need to, did you ask your steward to re-clean the grout?  

Continue to enjoy the trip!

~Nancy

Sorry I didn’t post last night.  I’ll post about just yesterday and create a new post later this evening for today’s review. 

Port was Grand Turk.  Breakfast in MDR was a bit more efficient than the first day.  We were in along with Carnival Imagination.  There are way too many people on that ship.  Husband and I have been to PLS but not Grand Turk so we signed up for a sights, flavor, and beach tour.  We stopped at a restaurant for rice, beans, conch fritters, and chicken.  We literally had breakfast an hour prior so husband and I shared a plate to try.  Not bad but cooked in more oil than I probably eat in a decade.  We drove around and saw the sights: town, churches, lighthouse.  Saw donkeys and chickens. No flamingoes.  We were dropped off at Govenor’s Beach and we spent about two hours there. Chairs and umbrellas were provided.  You could choose to return to the ship at anytime.  It was a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk.  We bring snorkel gear with us and there were some sergeant majors, blue tangs, and a fish I didn’t recognize.  The beach was relaxing. 

We made it back about 3pm and I went to the fitness center to run my normal 6 miles.  At mile 4.5 I gave up because of the insane temperature in the gym and finished on the jogging track during sailaway which was quite enjoyable except for dodging the people standing in the middle of the red running lane.  They leave the doors to the fitness center open to the lido pool area so I don’t think the AC can keep up with it.  I don’t know why it’s done but it had to be over 85 in there.  

Showered, relaxed a bit, then had dinner at The Pinnacle Grill as part of our HIA.  He had the rib eye and I had scallops.  My crab crakes were probably the worst crab cakes I have ever eaten.  But the scallops were good.  The mashed potatoes were excellent.  He had baked Alaska and I had about 1/8 of the soufflé.  Very good but very rich.  All in all, the food was decent.  If I didn’t have it included in HIA, I don’t think I would spend the money for it.  I didn’t find the food or service to be much better than MDR.  App, main, dessert took 2 hours with most tables empty.  The decor is beautiful- probably the nicest space on the ship.  

Speaking of decor, I love all the flowers, especially the Birds of Paradise.  Though I feel as though they are mocking me because I haven’t been able to get mine to flower in 4 years. 

Listened to the the piano players on board for a bit.  Enjoyed a few laps around the Promenade deck listening to the waves.  Very relaxing and a good way to help dinner digest.   It’s a beautiful space that retains the nautical aspect of sailing that I can only imagine would be lost on these floating Las Vegas mega ships. 

Have to add that despite the gym being 1000 degrees, the AC in the public areas is quite good, and our stateroom which is set on the coldest setting works extremely well.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Charlene1985 - thanks for all the reporting.  We are boarding on Jan 14.  I am interested in the times of the evening shows on the World stage.  Take care of the ship for us😁

Just now, Charlene1985 said:

I have not paid attention to that.  But for tomorrow, there is a movie playing at 8pm.  I think there was a comedian at 10pm.  

Sorry.  I messed up the quoting. 

Following along, thanks for your posts.  Can you request the temperature to be lowered in the gym-maybe on the Navigator App?  I’m sure others must feel the same way.  When on a cruise Mr Bear goes to the gym every morning when it opens (so I can sleep in, lol) and I’m sure he’d mention the temp in there. 

8 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

Speaking of decor, I love all the flowers, especially the Birds of Paradise.  Though I feel as though they are mocking me because I haven’t been able to get mine to flower in 4 years. 

DH used to work in the wholseale floral biz. He said he thinks they won't flower until the are 7 years old, soyou still have a few before you should feel them mocking you!

2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Following along, thanks for your posts.  Can you request the temperature to be lowered in the gym-maybe on the Navigator App?  I’m sure others must feel the same way.  When on a cruise Mr Bear goes to the gym every morning when it opens (so I can sleep in, lol) and I’m sure he’d mention the temp in there. 

We are avid gym rats and 85 degrees in a workout area sounds dangerously hot.  Agree with suggestion that request be made for temperature to be adjusted.  Any response?  Thank you.  

Enjoying your posts.  I'll be on the ship for 26 nights beginning with the Anniversary TA on 4/3.  Really looking forward to it.  I added Club Orange and am looking forward to being able to eat in that dining room.   I sailed Koningsdam and loved the ship.  Being in the North Atlantic for 9 sea days in early April I'm pretty sure I won't get to spend time out at the aft pool, so I'll need to be up early and grab a lounger on the deck above the main pool, overlooking the sea.

10 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I’ve found the gym on every ship I’ve sailed on the be too warm.  I do go pretty often.  I will try sending a note through navigator.  That actually never occurred to me so thanks for the suggestion.  I just assume they keep it warm so you’ll leave an go spend money elsewhere 😛.

• Haha 2

Today was Amber Cove, the stop I was looking forward to the least.  But we had a fantastic day.  MDR breakfast started too late so we grabbed a bite to eat in the Lido.  Now I don’t mean anything bad by this, but I am not a buffet person.  Never have been, probably never will be.  I don’t like chasing after my food and by the time you collect everything you may want, it’s cold.   So I had some smoked salmon on bread and fresh fruit.  The cottage cheese was warm so I only had the one bite.  Coffee was good but not hot.  That will be the one and only time I eat there if it can be helped.  

We chose the Damajagua Waterfalls excursion. It was a 30 minute ride from the cruise port.  I wore my bathing suit and a swim cover up.  Athletic wear would have been a more appropriate choice so I could have left my shorts on. Anyway, we rented these ridiculous looking rubber water shoes (required) unless you have your own.  And helmets and life jackets were also required.  All items were locked up in lockers, including sunglasses and phones.  The tour description said cameras were not allowed so I left my underwater camera on the ship.  Come to find out, they are allowed.  We walked uphill/hiked about 45 minutes which included 2 short rest breaks.  Then we started the fun part.  We climbed down a steep ladder-like stair case and took our first plunge into the cold mountain falls.  Made our way down via 4-5 slides and some walking.  If you have balance issues, this is not the tour for you.  The guides were great and I regress to being a 9 year old when in water so I became extremely jealous of them jumping off the platforms that we were not allowed to use.  Returned to the changing area.  If those shoes don’t give me athlete’s foot, I’d be shocked.  Bring your own if you own them and plan on doing this excursion.  The guides took photos and you could buy the USB drive with the photos and videos for $55 that included everyone’s photos.  We declined.  I don’t need to sort thru 1000 photos of strangers to look at myself wearing ugly shoes. We returned to the bus and 30 minutes later we were back in the port.  We didn’t know this, but Amber Cove has a secure pool area for cruise ship passengers.  We were the only ship in port and we lounged by the pool for an hour or so.  It was quite relaxing though I can’t imagine it would be if we shared the port with a mega ship. Zip lining and some boat rentals were available as well.  

Returned to the ship around 2:30 and since breakfast was small, we decided to try the Dive In burger place.  Now I am not a burger person. I’ll have one on 4th of July and I’ll go all out at McDonald’s once a year.  So the burger was just OK.  Maybe Shake Shake quality according to my husband.  Fries were good for fries but again, not my area of expertise.  It only took about 10 minutes for our order.  They gave us the buzzy thing so we grabbed a soda at the bar while we waited. 

Spent the next few hours figuring out our crossword puzzles from the previous few days. We have a suite on the starboard side so we had a nice view of leaving port.  The channel for Amber Cove is quite narrow and there is a rock ledge about 100 feet outside the channel markers.  The channel markers were about 100ft from the ship.  It was impressive to see us maneuver away from the pier.  I would have enjoyed seeing us arrive at the pier but I was still asleep for that.  We have a boat and I thoroughly enjoy watching the skills of the harbor pilot and the ship’s officers.  All in all, a beautiful day in port and a stop I would do again in a heartbeat.  

Dinner was good, and I enjoyed our table at the rail overlooking the lower level.  I enjoy observing and our servers were much more efficient in this section compared to our previous section.  I had the salmon and rice (the dish always available) and it was the best main course yet.  The pomegranate and pumpkin salad was the best app I have had yet.  I was impressed- I asked for salmon without capers, and it was honored.  I don’t understand how something so small can be so disgusting.  The maitre D on this ship is amazing.  He came over to check on us a few times.  We are two stars and haven’t complained about anything so I am impressed with his attentiveness to us being basically no one special nor are we squeaky wheels. 

After dinner, we went out on the Promenade deck for our after dinner stroll.  We were cruising at 19 knots so it was nice to see and hear the water. I even got misted a few times.  We had an after dinner drink in the lounge area of Ocean Bar. We returned to our rooms since the band at Rolling Stones had the night off. There was a comedian at the World Stage but we were tired and we were in our room by 10. 

We are in San Juan today because of an itinerary change.  Bonaire was canceled.  I will make today’s update later. 

Thank you for the suggestions about asking to have the temp lowered in the fitness center.  Saturdays are my rest days so I’ll see what my Sunday run brings.

• Like 4