Wonder of the seas questions

mommao729

I will be on wonder in April. 4 rooms 9 people. 

we purchased the unlimited dining package.

can one person who gets on the ship first make our reservations if they have our room numbers?

also, which restaurants would you recommend?

what shows would you recommend? I’m reading some posts and they have mixed reviews. 

Yes, one person can make your reservations.

Food is very subjective but I was disappointed by Hooked Seafood and Mason Jar (although the bar with its live country trio is awesome). 150 CP, Izumi, Chops and Giovanni’s were all good.

Shows are also subjective but I loved the Ice show and Aqua show (InTense). The two main theatre shows are ok but not standout (the tech used in Effectors 2 is impressive but the story is nonsense, aimed at kids).

Best meal we had was at 150 CP (Thanksgiving Dinner) food and service was so good we went back two nights later.  Hot chicken at Mason Jar was very good, Cajun catfish not so much.  However, the deep fried Oreo's will bring you back for more.  Effector's had great technology and music as posted earlier it ain't about the story line.  But dozens of lighted mini-drones flying around inside the theater is well worth seeing. 

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

I did not like mason jar chicken waffle as the waffle was very thin and a bit mushy, Then piled on top was a large crunchy piece of chicken.  Was a hot mess.

I loved 150 Central park with amazing bread and I like Hooked on Seafood.

also I would say book the comedy club first as they book up fast.  Aqua show and ice show you can always fit in the back and they took are good spots for viewing.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:16 AM, gumshoe958 said:

Yes, one person can make your reservations.

Food is very subjective but I was disappointed by Hooked Seafood and Mason Jar (although the bar with its live country trio is awesome). 150 CP, Izumi, Chops and Giovanni’s were all good.

Shows are also subjective but I loved the Ice show and Aqua show (InTense). The two main theatre shows are ok but not standout (the tech used in Effectors 2 is impressive but the story is nonsense, aimed at kids).

Mason Jar was not good at all in November. I will not do that again.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:36 AM, mommao729 said:

I will be on wonder in April. 4 rooms 9 people. 

we purchased the unlimited dining package.

can one person who gets on the ship first make our reservations if they have our room numbers?

also, which restaurants would you recommend?

what shows would you recommend? I’m reading some posts and they have mixed reviews. 

The Mason Jar is the new restaurant. I, personally, didn't care it very much. 

Go to all shows. You paid for them. 

On 1/15/2023 at 9:15 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

Hooked is my favorite restaurant.  I'd eat there every night, if DH was ok with it 🙂  Wonderland is fun to do once- we've tried it once on every ship we've been on, that has it.  If we have the UDP, we like to go to Playmakers a few times for lunch or late night snacks.

I saw that there are wings on playmakers menu, I'm excited ! Anything you recommend?

See? There you go…food and shows are subjective. I had the Chicken Pot Pie at Mason Jar and it was delicious. Also Effectors 2. I could care less about a plot. I’m there to enjoy the music and special effects. Go eat everywhere and go to the shows that interest you. Then you can form your own opinion, and not go by somebody else’s, who may have totally different tastes than yours. 😉

On 1/11/2023 at 11:21 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I would go to all shows, and eat in a different restaurant each night, and not read posts of what people like and don't like since they are not you, and your taste.

Here! Here!

@mommao729We split the duties here  (but only 2 of us). I head for either the kiosk/stand where UDP sign up is, or a restaurant that is close by and book our reservations.  We make out a preference list in case a time or day has been booked already.  You can change later if plans change.  DW grabs the internet connection and looks for shows via the app.  Then we meet up and grab lunch.  So send someone and see if they can book all cabins.  Make sure your sailings are linked.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, cruisinlawn said:

Will be on Wonder in June, Eastern Caribbean. Question...while in port, what venues might be open on the ship (primarily for kids 7 and 10yrs)?  We want to decide if we're going to a beach or stay on the ship and enjoy it...if kids venues might be open. TIA.

Based on my experience on other ships- flowrider, water slides, Abyss.  There might be more, but since we don’t have kids, I don’t pay attention…

On 1/16/2023 at 8:36 AM, nimbex1970 said:

I saw that there are wings on playmakers menu, I'm excited ! Anything you recommend?

Playmakers wings, nachos, and onion rings were all really good.  Mason Jar had great "hot chicken."  Cajun catfish was a let down.  The deep fried Oreo will have you coming back just for that.  

On 1/16/2023 at 11:36 AM, nimbex1970 said:

The onion rings were fantastic.  So good!

If you go to see InTense at the AquaTheater bring earplugs.  Sheesh!  It was LOUD!!!  We could barely hear ourselves talk inside Playmakers once the show started during our dinner.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:16 AM, gumshoe958 said:

I saw Effectors on Odyssey...I didn't realize they also have it on Wonder. My thoughts with Effectors on Odyssey was exactly the same as yours.

Edited by bajathree

Just my opinion but shows like Effectors will be the new norm and become more prevalent with each new ship

While Royal has always been a family cruise line they are emphasizing that fact more and more with each new ship and the main shows are now being designed to cater to everyone and not just the adults as a lot of their Broadway shows were.  They want families to be able to attend the shows as a family.  Very hard to design a show that everyone of all ages will love so this is a compromise with different aspects of the show appealing to different ages. 

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

I saw Effectors on Odyssey...I didn't realize they also have it on Wonder. My thoughts with Effectors on Odyssey was exactly the same as yours.

It’s a different show - Wonder has Effectors 2. I’ve not seen the Odyssey one but I’m guessing it’s pretty similar!

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just my opinion but shows like Effectors will be the new norm and become more prevalent with each new ship

While Royal has always been a family cruise line they are emphasizing that fact more and more with each new ship and the main shows are now being designed to cater to everyone and not just the adults as a lot of their Broadway shows were.  They want families to be able to attend the shows as a family.  Very hard to design a show that everyone of all ages will love so this is a compromise with different aspects of the show appealing to different ages. 

Agreed. Plus the fact that Royal have little creative control over the Broadway shows and presumably pay a hefty fee to license them.

Doubtless Nick Weir’s team is under the same pressure to cut costs as every other department and we’ll start to see evidence of that on stage, just like we have in the MDR and housekeeping. Sure, Effectors will have cost a lot to develop but now it’s opened the running costs will be considerably lower.