Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

33 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Please read what is written …….

Once again…cruiselines need to state a dress code, formal or otherwise…..and enforce it!!

Or what?

It seems to be working fine as it is right now. It allows for everyone to tailor it to their choice.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Or what?

It seems to be working fine as it is right now. It allows for everyone to tailor it to their choice.

Really? If that were the case there would be less threads like this. I believe you yourself wrote you weren’t happy with those who wear baseball caps to MDR.

46 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Really? If that were the case there would be less threads like this. I believe you yourself wrote you weren’t happy with those who wear baseball caps to MDR.

It wasn't me, that's for sure. I couldn't care less what people choose to wear in the DR provided it doesn't reek of sweat. I simply go to the dining room to eat dinner, not to parade around in a costume for others to gawk at. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Please read what is written …….

Once again…cruiselines need to state a dress code, formal or otherwise…..and enforce it!!

Simply put NO they do not as what they are doing satisfies the majority of their customers. 

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, billco said:

Here us a dress code I would like to see Princess adopt.

https://lifewellcruised.com/what-to-wear-on-a-norwegian-cruise/

I like this very much.  It’s actually the dress code on Celebrity but nice part is it’s spelled out very clearly

PS - does Norwegian enforce no shorts at dinner in the dining room?

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:59 PM, Cruise till you drop said:

Just got off the Sky

Normal dinner nights are either jeans or slacks

Formal night ranged from Tuxes to suits to button down shirts and slacks

Final dinner evening was lax and saw shorts

And that is par for the course.  Been like that for years now.

• Like 2

new SUN Princess coming in 2024

A first for Princess, the Horizons Dining Room introduces a stunning three-story dining venue. This newly envisioned space is open and flexible, featuring dining options to suit every mood. Stunning wake views and natural light highlight a decorative sculpture that stretches from deck 6 to deck 8. The three decks will each have their own personalities, offer different dining experiences and range in levels of formality.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

PS - does Norwegian enforce no shorts at dinner in the dining room?

No. Recently finished sailing on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the NCL Joy.. Had dinner once early in the cruise in the Manhattan dining room (main). Noticed quite a few people wearing shorts. Most of our dinners were in the smaller Savoy and Taste dining rooms. Don't recall seeing shorts, but might have been. What did stand out was not ever having to wait very long to be seated and the excellent service. We always asked for table for two by a window. If they couldn't seat us in a table for two, it would be a table for four with the second setting cleared, Relatively few bench seating and never asked if we would like to share. If window seating wasn't available, an effort was made for next best. We have done a lot of cruises on both Princess and NCL. In my opinion the dining experience is one area where NCL excels compared to Princess. Of course, Princess excels in quite a few other areas.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

A first for Princess, the Horizons Dining Room introduces a stunning three-story dining venue. This newly envisioned space is open and flexible, featuring dining options to suit every mood. Stunning wake views and natural light highlight a decorative sculpture that stretches from deck 6 to deck 8. The three decks will each have their own personalities, offer different dining experiences and range in levels of formality.

Lets hope the levels of formality don't include different levels of food quality or selections as well, or it'll be back to the same old arguments at the DR door.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Excellent. I hate it when the over dressed stare at me because I didn't dress to their exacting requirements. Now they will have their own area where they can impress each other, and I can have an area where the food and dining partners is more important than what I am wearing. LOL!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2023 at 8:43 AM, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

I'm not going to get into an argument over what is said & what is enforced...but I will share our experiences.

Our friends wore shorts to the dining room on the Caribbean Princess & were never turned away. DH finally decide what the heck & joined the club--golf shirt & shorts.

AK cruise on Discovery athletic wear was everywhere including the MDR--but of course long pants in that weather. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

From what I'm hearing entertainment is one of them.

Meh...naw, RCCL & NCL win for production shows by a long shot. 

Princess excels at game shows & trivia--their activities crews always seem to have the best camaraderie & the most fun at these events.

17 minutes ago, billco said:

In my opinion the dining experience is one area where NCL excels compared to Princess. Of course, Princess excels in quite a few other areas.

This is not our experience. Perhaps we are comparing different aspects of it?

I don't care what anyone wears on any line to dinner...your attire does not affect my dinner.

Princess MDR food is very very good (2nd only to Celebrity, IMO) while NCL is good. 

NCL does get you in & out quickly (3 courses in 45-60 min)...usually Princess is 60-90 min.

Pros & cons to each of those...if you have a show to get to, that longer dining can be an issue. 

I won't say I've felt rushed on NCL, but sometimes it does feel QUICK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Princess MDR food is very very good (2nd only to Celebrity, IMO) while NCL is good. 

NCL does get you in & out quickly (3 courses in 45-60 min)...usually Princess is 60-90 min.

Pros & cons to each of those...if you have a show to get to, that longer dining can be an issue. 

I wish Princess could serve a dinner that quickly. It seems lately it's usually at the 90 minute mark & longer in some dining rooms.... and this is at a table for 2. 😕

People were definitely wearing shorts, maybe even on formal nights, on the Crown last cruise. Also, while "young" (like 30-40 year olds) had a hit or two, there were definitely being in the 50-60+ age range doing it as well. So, don't blame millennials or youth for this. Also, definitely many in the 60+ age range not washing their hands after using the facilities.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PTMary said:

Excellent. I hate it when the over dressed stare at me because I didn't dress to their exacting requirements. Now they will have their own area where they can impress each other, and I can have an area where the food and dining partners is more important than what I am wearing. LOL!!

It concerned me that you have such a strong reaction to what others might be thinking. Which, may or may not be what they were actually thinking. I might suggest a better way is to view stares as their problem, not yours.

You might reconsider your perception of why folks dress for dinner. There are very few prigs that actually care what someone wears. Mostly, those who dress for dinner are respecting Princess' request of what to wear and enjoy the ambience that formal dining creates, which is Princess' stated intent. We don't all appreciate the same things. So this new levelled formality should be welcomed by all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

It concerned me that you have such a strong reaction to what others might be thinking. Which, may or may not be what they were actually thinking. I might suggest a better way is to view stares as their problem, not yours.

You might reconsider your perception of why folks dress for dinner. There are very few prigs that actually care what someone wears. Mostly, those who dress for dinner are respecting Princess' request of what to wear and enjoy the ambience that formal dining creates, which is Princess' stated intent. We don't all appreciate the same things. So this new levelled formality should be welcomed by all.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

I think mtnesterz has made an excellent statement.

’Mostly, those who dress for dinner are respecting Princess' request of what to wear and enjoy the ambience that formal dining creates, which is Princess' stated intent.’ 

Then the staff at the entrance should respect their employers dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening and do the job they are getting paid to do. 🙄 I sure hope you comment on this issue you have on your PCS. 

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

From what I'm hearing entertainment is one of them.

From my experience, entertainment is another that NCL does better than Princess though that may change as NCL is cutting back on production shows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

It concerned me that you have such a strong reaction to what others might be thinking.

And how is that worse than having such a strong reaction to what others might be WEARING? Which you clearly have. 

Don't be concerned about me. I am perfectly content dressing in a manner accepted by the cruise line instead of pondering over why people 'disrespect' a mere  SUGGESTION

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1