Does RCI still use the room keycards?

Lol!  I literally asked this question on FB like 10 minutes ago :). Per the responses, it sounds like the ships that have wristband technology, haven’t started it back up since the restart.  So, no WOW bands as of yet… just the keycard

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ladybugpug said:

My last cruise was on Virgin and they used wrist bands. I saw a cute ID lanyard but if they aren't using keycards still then I have no use for it. TIA!

Many RCCL ships are too old and don't have RFID locks. RCCL tried the Wow bands (wrist bands), giving them to suites guests and charging steerage for the bands. I have tried them on a couple of cruises and they were awful. The rubber bands were uncomfortable (and not very fashionable) and were hard to use as all of the points of sale. RCCL no longer uses them - a failed experiment. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Many RCCL ships are too old and don't have RFID locks. RCCL tried the Wow bands (wrist bands), giving them to suites guests and charging steerage for the bands. I have tried them on a couple of cruises and they were awful. The rubber bands were uncomfortable (and not very fashionable) and were hard to use as all of the points of sale. RCCL no longer uses them - a failed experiment. 

This is where Royal could learn a bit from Princess.  I thought their Medallion technology was great on the Crown last June.  They provided a lanyard where the medallion easily snaps in.  The door to the cabin automatically unlocked when you were in proximity.  I think it alerted the room steward when the cabin was empty so they could clean.  Easy to purchase items in the shops.  Other wearables were available for purchase.  The medallions even had your name, ship, and sail date imprinted.

Edited by jk04
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, jk04 said:

This is where Royal could learn a bit from Princess.  I thought their Medallion technology was great on the Crown last June.  They provided a lanyard where the medallion easily snaps in.  The door to the cabin automatically unlocked when you were in proximity.  I think it alerted the room steward when the cabin was empty so they could clean.  Easy to purchase items in the shops.  Other wearables were available for purchase.  The medallions even had your name, ship, and sail date imprinted.

RCCL also allows you to try and open your cabin door with your phone/RCCL app. Doesn't work well. I gave up after a few tries.

I do the phone app thing at land-based hotels and it works relatively well. 

Another RCCL fail. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 8:56 AM, renza said:

Just tap card on door pad. I will not use lanyards because it is a pain always taking it out to buy drinks and on and off ship. 

Totally agree, plus don't want it hanging around my neck all day

• Like 4

On 1/15/2023 at 7:59 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

Lol!  I literally asked this question on FB like 10 minutes ago :). Per the responses, it sounds like the ships that have wristband technology, haven’t started it back up since the restart.  So, no WOW bands as of yet… just the keycard

I read a post in here a while back that if you have a WOW band and the ship had the WOW system installed, pre-COVID, you can bring it onboard and they can reprogram it to work in that ship.  I don't know how true that is.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I read a post in here a while back that if you have a WOW band and the ship had the WOW system installed, pre-COVID, you can bring it onboard and they can reprogram it to work in that ship.  I don't know how true that is.

I plam on bringing old WOW bands on Oasis in March. Concierge or Guest services can usually program. I like to use them for the cabin door, lounge access,  and maybe the slots.

If they won't program them, no biggie

Hoping it will make my seapass last longer 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Longford said:

The use of lanyards to hold the cards is simple, and smart.

For sure.  The trick?  Finding a card holder attachment that works best for you!  After a dozen or so attempts, I've found what works best for ME is a retractable ID attachment with a hole in the card.   Easy Peasy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's what some also say about fanny packs. 🤣

I like 'em.  But, I call them, "Man Bags".  I've got a bit of a collection of 'em.   Haven't used one in years though.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I like 'em.  But, I call them, "Man Bags".  I've got a bit of a collection of 'em.   Haven't used one in years though.  

Judging from your avatar, I'll  only laugh at you behind your back, as I 'm running away from you. 😂

• Haha 1