Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

That is exactly what went through my mind after my cruise last summer. Even before covid I still felt my P&O cruises were special. Yes, standards had gradually fallen but there was still a lot to make it different from an average hotel holiday. Twice-daily cabin servicing, little flowers and sweets in the cabin, nice toiletries, a small complimentary water, decent menus with a wide choice, Welcome aboard party with copious drinks, cabin attendants that had time to talk to you. And a few years before that decent biscuits 😂.

None of these are especially important or essential but for me, they all added up to make a special experience.

Whilst I didn't have any significant problems on my cruise, I was definitely left feeling that it had become more like a bog-standard hotel holiday that happened to be on a ship.

Exactly my thoughts on the differences that together makes the cruise feel special.  This I think helps to justify the select price more, now I think you just need to pay saver price with P&O cruises as I feel my select price is just subsidising the savers. Hence why I’m not giving them £6500 of my hard earned money for my next planned cruise to the Caribbean. 

I’m not knocking the saver cruisers here at all this is more aimed at P&O! I was a saver cruiser on a previous cruise!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

That is exactly what went through my mind after my cruise last summer. Even before covid I still felt my P&O cruises were special. Yes, standards had gradually fallen but there was still a lot to make it different from an average hotel holiday. Twice-daily cabin servicing, little flowers and sweets in the cabin, nice toiletries, a small complimentary water, decent menus with a wide choice, Welcome aboard party with copious drinks, cabin attendants that had time to talk to you. And a few years before that decent biscuits 😂.

None of these are especially important or essential but for me, they all added up to make a special experience.

Whilst I didn't have any significant problems on my cruise, I was definitely left feeling that it had become more like a bog-standard hotel holiday that happened to be on a ship.

Exactly my thoughts, Andrew.

When I first sailed with P&O they were very much an up market line, albeit with prices to match. This was refected not only in the high standards in the restaurants, but in the little touches which differentiate between a luxury experience and a bog standard one. You list several, to which I would add things such as: canapes in the bars before lunch and dinner and at the captains reception, where they served real champagne: plates of assorted petit fours after dinner, not just one type carefully counted out at one per diner: speciality buffets in the restaurant in the evenings and on deck sometimes at lunchtimes on sea days: deck events on sea days: complimentary cabin service 24 hrs a day.......... To be fair, many of these are things a new cruiser would not necessarily expect to get, and "you don't miss what you ain't never had". But taken together, for those who "have had" they reflect a general cutting back to a price rather than pricing up to a standard.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Denarius said:

When I first sailed with P&O they were very much an up market line, albeit with prices to match. This was refected not only in the high standards in the restaurants, but in the little touches which differentiate between a luxury experience and a bog standard one. You list several, to which I would add things such as: canapes in the bars before lunch and dinner and at the captains reception, where they served real champagne: plates of assorted petit fours after dinner, not just one type carefully counted out at one per diner: speciality buffets in the restaurant in the evenings and on deck sometimes at lunchtimes on sea days: deck events on sea days: complimentary cabin service 24 hrs a day.......... To be fair, many of these are things a new cruiser would not necessarily expect to get, and "you don't miss what you ain't never had". But taken together, for those who "have had" they reflect a general cutting back to a price rather than pricing up to a standard.

You're absolutely right. 

When looking at the cost of a cruise we very much compare the cost per day and ask if could we buy the same hotel experience in a central London Hotel with breakfast, lunch on the go, dinner in a good restaurant that evening and really good theatre tickets that evening. 

We're not interested in day-time lectures in darkened room when the sun is shining and the world is beautiful and we're not interested in craft classes, painting workshops or so on... we can easily do all of those at home without the need to spend hundreds of pounds a day for the opportunity.

But we are interested in those delightful little touches that you mention... it's a reward for working exceeding hard for long hours over decades when our job was passion was supposed, by our employers, to be our jobs rather than our interests, our friends, our families or even our own time together.

As we're become older and, we hope wiser, our zest for life seems to have increased, our real passion for travel seems to have intensified and we very much want what we've paid good hard-earned money for.  In our careers, neither of us could give second-rate, half-hearted efforts or cut corners. 

In retirement, we've increasingly migrated away from what we believe is the penny-pinching approach... we pay the money but we want what we've chosen not some shadow of what was advertised six months before we cruise.

That's why we seem to be booking more and more cruises on the same cruise line as yourself!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

You are quite right, but as we don't go to the captains lunch ,have never had room service , don't go to any lectures, only have lunch on board on sea days and then normally a quick lunch from the buffet, or on deck sitting around the pool, we didn't know about these cutbacks. Petit fours were nice. We have had 3 P&O cruises in the last 6 months and enjoyed them all. We are not new cruisers having had 35+ over the last 20 years. As long as we get what we paid for, not really bothered about drinks with the Captain.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

ou are quite right, but as we don't go to the captains lunch ,have never had room service , don't go to any lectures, only have lunch on board on sea days and then normally a quick lunch from the buffet, or on deck sitting around the pool, we didn't know about these cutbacks. Petit fours were nice. We have had 3 P&O cruises in the last 6 months and enjoyed them all. We are not new cruisers having had 35+ over the last 20 years. As long as we get what we paid for, not really bothered about drinks with the Captain.

Same us us Zapp we have been on over 25 cruises, not really bothered about all the extras as such as long as we have nice holiday, meeting nice people, good weather we are happy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Couldn't agree more about lectures, crafts, painting.  Only indoor thing we enjoy is the choir, but that's just an hour on sea days.

Well I enjoy the lectures and the crafts too. Great on the long cruises. We still work, so we don’t have loads of free time at home to pursue our interests. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, solentsam said:

Same us us Zapp we have been on over 25 cruises, not really bothered about all the extras as such as long as we have nice holiday, meeting nice people, good weather we are happy

I would agree to some extent. However, I do expect the basics to be done properly, and sorry to keep banging on about it, but cold/lukewarm food is not good enough, 

• Like 3

I’d forgotten all the speakers there used to be. It was one of the really big pluses for us, because sea days (not a favourite) passed so quickly and interestingly. Lectures on British films from an academic, great liners through the years from a published expert in his field, crime from a published criminologist, all sorts of fascinating lectures - and all well attended too.

Really miss all that - much more limited and limiting now.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’d forgotten all the speakers there used to be. It was one of the really big pluses for us, because sea days (not a favourite) passed so quickly and interestingly. Lectures on British films from an academic, great liners through the years from a published expert in his field, crime from a published criminologist, all sorts of fascinating lectures - and all well attended too.

Yes, we’ve seen some really interesting talks over the years. Other than the odd music recital on Aurora, they are about the only daytime activities that appeal to us. We were on QM2 a few weeks ago and there was a surgeon giving a talk on plastic surgery. I thought that was a very odd subject matter 😂 

• Haha 1

Jim Whelan, a bit part actor from television on here at present.  He's very interesting, 3 talks so far.

Opened his talk this morning with a joke about bus queues in Palma!

Apart from that we're more or less a cultural desert - there are the art talks and sell you acupuncture type of thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, we’ve seen some really interesting talks over the years. Other than the odd music recital on Aurora, they are about the only daytime activities that appeal to us. We were on QM2 a few weeks ago and there was a surgeon giving a talk on plastic surgery. I thought that was a very odd subject matter 😂 

Gosh, that's an odd one; Cunard usually get excellent speakers: once went to one by Sir David Frost who was, of course, hugely entertaining and Lord Digby Jones also superb - QV theatre jam packed for every lecture. The low point was Clare Balding, just about the worst speaker I've heard on any cruise line (subjective opinion, of course). Her ubiquitiousness (is that even a word? Where's wowzz when you need him?) has been a mystery to me ever since.

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Gosh, that's an odd one; Cunard usually get excellent speakers: once went to one by Sir David Frost who was, of course, hugely entertaining and Lord Digby Jones also superb - QV theatre jam packed for every lecture. The low point was Clare Balding, just about the worst speaker I've heard on any cruise line (subjective opinion, of course). Her ubiquitiousness (is that even a word? Where's wowzz when you need him?) has been a mystery to me ever since.

For balance, we had Dickie Arbiter (former Buckingham Palace press officer) and a royal author (who I’d never heard of). Dickie Arbiters talk was packed but disappointing (IMHO and others). He didn’t add anything to what was already widely known about the Coronation. The only anecdote that he told I have heard him mention on TV before. Could have been a lot more interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

For balance, we had Dickie Arbiter (former Buckingham Palace press officer) and a royal author (who I’d never heard of). Dickie Arbiters talk was packed but disappointing (IMHO and others). He didn’t add anything to what was already widely known about the Coronation. The only anecdote that he told I have heard him mention on TV before. Could have been a lot more interesting. 

I love balance, and think I've been unlucky with the guest speakers on my P&O cruises. Not seen Dickie Arbiter on a cruise (though he's frequently on TV), but Jenny Bond was on one of our Cunard cruisers and she was good. 

For even more balance, on our last Cunard cruise in (I think) June 2019, the guest speaker was Martin Bashir. Even without the benefit of hindsight, he was absolutely dire, though he was actually doing the lectures as the Beeb's Religious Affairs Correspondent, not their finest HR vetted appointment...

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

On last week’s Ventura cruise Valerie Singleton was one of the guest speakers and she was one of the best ever!  I believe she’s about 86 - but I’d never had guessed had she not told us - and very smart, interesting, funny and utterly charming.  Needless to say she had a good audience for her first talk, but by the second, word had obviously got round and there was only the odd seat in the theatre to be had.  

And as the subject heading is ‘food and dining’ so as not to upset a couple of regulars re subject ‘drift’ 😉, I will add that when Valerie asked on her final talk, ‘how many of you have I shared a table with?’ lots of hands went up.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Did you see the guy talking about Pirate Radio /his flight over Europe and also the man speaking about his life in the East End as a Jewish lad in the 50's.  I thought the latter was excellent and I've bought his book on my return. Reading it here on Arvia, great bit of light relief.

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Did you see the guy talking about Pirate Radio /his flight over Europe and also the man speaking about his life in the East End as a Jewish lad in the 50's.  I thought the latter was excellent and I've bought his book on my return. Reading it here on Arvia, great bit of light relief.

Watched a bit of the pirate radio talk on the TV. Bit of a dull presenter but an interesting topic. The other one didn’t appeal, although not quite as stomach churning as cosmetic surgery 😂 

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Indeed.  One of the things that made cruising such a success for us is that my wife is very much a 'lie in the sun' holiday maker and I am 'loathe the sun, give me lectures' person.   SO we could each have the holiday we liked.  When we took a Curnard Transatlantic last year, I averaged four lectures/workshops a day,

We have heard some really great lectures on P+O over the years, having begun cruising in 1990.  Now, though, it is rare to get a lecture that is anything other than a sales pitch for the excursions at the next port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

On my most recent cruise, on Aurora late last year, I thought the lectures were pretty good.

I go on Arcadia in around a months time, so will let you have my opinion!

We seem to have got off the food and drink track.  I have heard comments about several lines, including P+O, about lukewarm food in the MDRs.  I will let you know about that as well.

Edited by WestonOne

I remember some boffin trying to explain Quantum particle physics.It was as clear as mud.When I was the 1st one to walk out everyone looked at me probably thinking.yeah look at that dimbo.The Emperors new clothes came to mind,lol.

Edited by brian1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Interestedcruisefan said:

So Cunard is the current best alternative for older fashioned better  quality MDRs?

That makes sense

Isn't that the way for people to go now if MDR is important to them? And they aren't enjoying P and O?

Also smaller more intimate cruises?

Do Cunard include tips in their pricing?

We found the service at dinner on our last QE cruise very poor along with the food, soup would arrive warm at best, the food when it arrived often didn't match the description on the menu. Hopefully it has improved since last year.

Tips not included on Cunard

• Like 1

On Arcadia now,first night in Ocean Grill probably the best meal we have had at sea,followed ever so closely by Sindhu last night,no complaints about food in the MDR or buffet either for us but buffet is now served by the crew which isn't quite the same,maybe better for the waistline though!😁

20 minutes ago, snaefell said:

On Arcadia now,first night in Ocean Grill probably the best meal we have had at sea,followed ever so closely by Sindhu last night,no complaints about food in the MDR or buffet either for us but buffet is now served by the crew which isn't quite the same,maybe better for the waistline though!😁

Agree. MDR quite good,  apart from some undercooked and underprepared (cabin stewards?)veg. No complaints so far. Never use buffet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

I know this is largely me, but I can't get impressed by a steak restaurant.  If I want one, there are four or five within a ten mile drive from where I live, and many other people will be in the same situation.

I can get a steak on board?  Yawn, quite frankly.  Give me something that takes time and skill to prepare and is visually striking.   I want things where people have to train for a year or more to reach the standard to prepare it, not a day or two.  Things that would push my ability to cook it for myself.

• Like 2