Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

I can offer a new take on sole(sic) food this evening! Ate in the Diner here on Arvia as I had several entertainment bookings and wanted quick but served.  Seated in one of the sofa booths I was aware of a child screaming, not crying or upset but just screaming his lungs out.  Tried to tune him out.  My prawns were delivered, fork picked up ready to go when suddenly from nowhere a child's sandal flew over my shoulder and landed full and square in my food. Meantime it's owner, the screaming child arrived on the back of my seat behind me screaming even louder.  His father was trying to drag him back while the waiter rescued the sandal from my dinner.  Profuse apologies from the latter, a silly shrug of the shoulders from the former and his mother saying, it's his birthday he's over excited.

New food was offered but as birthday boy was still screaming his lungs out I politely declined and left for the Quays instead.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I can offer a new take on sole(sic) food this evening! Ate in the Diner here on Arvia as I had several entertainment bookings and wanted quick but served.  Seated in one of the sofa booths I was aware of a child screaming, not crying or upset but just screaming his lungs out.  Tried to tune him out.  My prawns were delivered, fork picked up ready to go when suddenly from nowhere a child's sandal flew over my shoulder and landed full and square in my food. Meantime it's owner, the screaming child arrived on the back of my seat behind me screaming even louder.  His father was trying to drag him back while the waiter rescued the sandal from my dinner.  Profuse apologies from the latter, a silly shrug of the shoulders from the former and his mother saying, it's his birthday he's over excited.

New food was offered but as birthday boy was still screaming his lungs out I politely declined and left for the Quays instead.  

Oh goodness, that is not acceptable. What were the parents thinking of in allowing that behaviour and worse still, not profusely apologising to you and offering to buy you a glass of wine. Now, I appreciate that when a child is over tired they can become little devils, but……..

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Fortunately pretty rare though! Can you imagine that from Vamp's two girls? Well behaved children are a joy - others less so!

• Like 6

On 5/25/2023 at 6:53 AM, Megabear2 said:

We have a new dining option in the Quays this evening, I can't recall one of these anywhere else recently. 

20230525_074933.jpg

Has anyone tried this menu in the Quays if you have what did you think? what was on offer? would you recomend?

Alas if I only knew that they was cutting back on cheese selections I would never have gone on our cruise in may, or paid for our transatlantic in October, but saying that hopefully they continue to put cheese on the pizza otherwise I will never cruise with p&o again.

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Alas if I only knew that they was cutting back on cheese selections I would never have gone on our cruise in may, or paid for our transatlantic in October, but saying that hopefully they continue to put cheese on the pizza otherwise I will never cruise with p&o again.

I feel the same way about green beans. The more the merrier.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Lovely turkey last night but sprouts and broccoli like bullets!

Noticed all the left over sprouts,must have been a bad evening all round,after good food so far last night my steak was incredibly dry!

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Welcome back.  Hope your wife is fully recovered and you had a good cruise in May. 

Thankyou she is better but the fun part is explaining to the insurance company once the offending organ was removed no chance of a recurrence but still they charged me £80 extra, the cruise around the med was great less so for me, as soon I got back had to have a tooth removed it got grumpy on the second day, i had to drink warm beer to kill the pain.

• Like 2

Hi,

We are booked for Arvia in October. Does anyone have any recent MDR menus. Also does anyone have experience with dietary requests and how they are handled with freedom dining. Haven't cruised with P & O for many years so a bit out of touch. 

Thanks Nicola 

40 minutes ago, pinky12345 said:

Hi,

We are booked for Arvia in October. Does anyone have any recent MDR menus. Also does anyone have experience with dietary requests and how they are handled with freedom dining. Haven't cruised with P & O for many years so a bit out of touch. 

Thanks Nicola 

Can’t help with the recent menus but my wife is dairy intolerant, we always make sure this noted at booking and there is normally a letter waiting for us in the cabin. It works best on fixed dining as you waiter gets to know you and your needs. However on freedom dining, make sure on the first night you tell your waiter your situation. He will then most likely inform the head waiter and they normally bring the next days menus for you to pre-order. On the next night you just tell them you have preordered and they will pick this up via your room number. In freedom dining it is a bit more clunky in our experience. Hope that helps

3 minutes ago, Plugtheleak said:

Can’t help with the recent menus but my wife is dairy intolerant, we always make sure this noted at booking and there is normally a letter waiting for us in the cabin. It works best on fixed dining as you waiter gets to know you and your needs. However on freedom dining, make sure on the first night you tell your waiter your situation. He will then most likely inform the head waiter and they normally bring the next days menus for you to pre-order. On the next night you just tell them you have preordered and they will pick this up via your room number. In freedom dining it is a bit more clunky in our experience. Hope that helps

Thanks. We usually have fixed and have been travelling with Princess for the last 10 years but its all freedom on Arvia. My teenage son has food allergies and I require a low fat diet (and am veggie). Currently considering if I am going to go though with our booking as only paid deposit. Reading really mixed reviews at the moment.