Shorts?

janetz

11 minutes ago, janetz said:

Are dress shorts allowed in the regular dining room  for guys?

It depends on the ship.

On big ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamos/Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are o.k.)

On small ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and the aft main dining room (jeans or dockers are o.k.)

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, janetz said:

Are dress shorts allowed in the regular dining room  for guys?

Currently on the Norwegian Dawn. Shorts not allowed in Le Bistro or the Venetian main dining room although rule not being enforced in the Venetian…

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It depends on the ship.

On big ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue/Bayamos/Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are o.k.)

On small ships, shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and the aft main dining room (jeans or dockers are o.k.)

In my experience it isnt that simple. I’ve been on small ships that don’t have the dress code in the aft room and big ships where they do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

In my experience it isnt that simple. I’ve been on small ships that don’t have the dress code in the aft room and big ships where they do.

I agree. My experience has been the same as yours. It has varied by itinerary and ship management.  We've been on B2B cruises where the dress code was different on the two segments. 

On 1/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, Crown Vic said:

Currently on the Norwegian Dawn. Shorts not allowed in Le Bistro or the Venetian main dining room although rule not being enforced in the Venetian…

It was the same way on the Jewel at Christmas - only Le Bistro and Venetian dress codes.

On 1/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, BirdTravels said:

It depends on the ship.

Not wrong but inaccurate as to one of the three main dining rooms on large ships. 

Edited by zqvol

15 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Not wrong but inaccurate as to one of the three main dining rooms on large ships. 

12 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed.  Manhattan room on Encore in November pants required.

I thought so too. On Getaway, in Dec/Jan shorts were allowed in all three main dining rooms. 

image.png.7776c740e5de1a366f4a063068c05e8b.png

The snippet I took is from just under 24/7, lower right of this page.

20230102_075656.jpg.99ef1dea6537336b4829

I was surprised the Tropicana Room didn't require the same as Ocean Blue and Le Bistro. I guess it really does depend on each sailing. 

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I thought so too. On Getaway, in Dec/Jan shorts were allowed in all three main dining rooms. 

image.png.7776c740e5de1a366f4a063068c05e8b.png

The snippet I took is from just under 24/7, lower right of this page.

FWIW, I just saw the Freestyle Daily from Encore for January 21, 2023 and it had the same language.  I'd love to know if the sign by the entrance to the Manhattan room says the same thing.  I'm pretty sure that's what I was going by in November.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Agreed.  Manhattan room on Encore in November pants required.

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

O.K. We were on the Encore in April and it did not require long pants in the Manhattan Room.

Encore April 2022

image.thumb.png.6a877fe1283f6274b90e3fe8aae69d2a.png

Breakaway August 2022

image.thumb.png.ac17a6575a3a4d8518e4548565fefec0.png

Prima October 2022

image.png.752e690e9eb94b1e7efe58652a130cdd.png

Prima December 2022

image.png.86e8ae845dc933aa0dfe8e4b2fb903c9.png

Edited by BirdTravels

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

O.K. We were on the Encore in April and it did not require long pants in the Manhattan Room.

I wish I'd saved our Freestyle Dailies.  I have a feeling we saw it on a sign at the Manhattan.  

I'd prefer shorts, and we preferred dining in the Manhattan and I couldn't wear shorts (or so I thought).  We definitely saw it somewhere, else I would have worn my shorts.

I have seen people turned away from Le Bistro and the aft main dining room on Dawn and Jewel class ships. We mostly follow the resort casual guidelines, and never try to wear shorts to any of the dining rooms at night. It is not that hard to pack a pair of pants or capris to wear to dinner. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, janetz said:

Not kilts…lol

This question was for the Mens attire

Linen, etc, and not short

NCL has a more relaxed dress code then say Celebrity and they were our last sailing, so I was just curious 

Thank you 

When I really want to be fancy (which is never) I wear khaki style shorts (think Docker-style). My husband (and generally me) wear athletic style shorts - Adidas, Nike, etc. Never had a problem. We also never try to get into Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or the aft dining room. 

Our athletic shorts are paired with a t-shirt and flippie floppies! Never an issue on NCL. 

• Like 1

The biggest problem with NCL and their so called "Dress Codes" (especially when it comes to shorts) is a complete lack of understanding and consistency in applying their own code. Case in point:

While on a Bermuda Sailing on Breakaway while docked in Bermuda I tried to enter Le Bistro (first mistake since I don't really care for Le Bistro anyways) wearing the Bermuda Shorts I purchased that day in Hamilton. Was stopped and told I couldn't enter unless I went and changed into long pants....but could be seated outside if I wanted. We chose outside and I was amazed at the number of women they let in wearing shorts. When we were leaving I decided to go up to them and ask about why that was...and was told that the no shorts rule ony appled to men....all I could do is laugh at them and walk away shaking my head. 😮