Tipping in Italy?

phabric

In some countries people do not tip for service.

We will be taking a car service from our hotel in Rome to the port.

Anybody that has taken a car service, did you tip?

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

We used Rome in Limo for our transfer to Civitavecchia and we did tip a small amount.  IIRC, it was about €10.00 for an hour or so drive.  Driver was happy with that.  Car was extremely clean and comfortable.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

The question is not do cruisers tip but is  if tipping I s the custom in Italy

Tipping is NOT customary in Europe

Of course you can offer it but most locals don't do it so up to you if you want to bfollow local custom or not

Typically you can round up to the nearest amount

• Like 1

We do tip in Italy when using a car service (Rome Chauffeur - we used them Rome/Naples, Civitavecchia), as the drivers have always gone the extra mile - either waiting when our flight was delayed, helped us with multiple pieces of luggage, by avoiding high-traffic areas when time was an issue to get to the airport or cruiseport, or stopped at service stations while we needed a food/washroom stop. 

We have this discussion several times each year on this board.  Some people are unwilling or unable to behave in any way different from what they know at home, and they will never be convinced that what they are doing isn't anything but right.  We can tell them it's not done but they will always have a reason, great service (as if they wouldn't get that without a tip), or a really nice driver, etc. and they reinforce that by saying it's always appreciated.  As if the driver would rudely throw it back in your face even if they were insulted.

Tipping is not the custom in Italy.  It's rude to export your country's norm to another country, no matter how uncomfortable it is for you to behave differently.  Tipping is a crude way to compensate someone for their labor.  Nevertheless, many will continue to do it and nothing that is said here will change that.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Maverick! said:

We do tip in Italy when using a car service (Rome Chauffeur - we used them Rome/Naples, Civitavecchia), as the drivers have always gone the extra mile - either waiting when our flight was delayed, helped us with multiple pieces of luggage, by avoiding high-traffic areas when time was an issue to get to the airport or cruiseport, or stopped at service stations while we needed a food/washroom stop. 

Those actions seem pretty typical from pre-booked  car services.  Not to say they should not be appreciated.   I just wouldn't find it unusual.   

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

We have this discussion several times each year on this board.  Some people are unwilling or unable to behave in any way different from what they know at home, and they will never be convinced that what they are doing isn't anything but right.  We can tell them it's not done but they will always have a reason, great service (as if they wouldn't get that without a tip), or a really nice driver, etc. and they reinforce that by saying it's always appreciated.  As if the driver would rudely throw it back in your face even if they were insulted.

Tipping is not the custom in Italy.  It's rude to export your country's norm to another country, no matter how uncomfortable it is for you to behave differently.  Tipping is a crude way to compensate someone for their labor.  Nevertheless, many will continue to do it and nothing that is said here will change that.

This is a strange reply.

Tipping in Europe is not expected and it isn’t done to ensure people get paid for their labour (which is just odd).

However, tips are welcomed and not seen as an insult. It is a bonus, something additional to their wage. If you feel the service deserves a tip then give one, but don’t feel you have to.

As a European I tip occasionally, when the service warrants it. However if I don’t tip, I don’t feel bad about it because I know the person is still being paid an appropriate wage and are not reliant on my tip. 

• Like 1

If North American tippers can't refrain from "reflexive tipping", then at least follow the advice given advice, to wit:

• Tipping is neither required nor expected (but see my note below)
  • It is not insulting, but truly should be given for services above and beyond, not just because the guide was good or you enjoyed your day

* Because of so much European travel by Americans, there are some places now where tipping IS almost expected, and it's a shame because it impacts the local residents who live there by changing the scale/expectations on it. PLEASE strive to follow whatever local expectations are and DON'T be a big tipper.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If North American tippers can't refrain from "reflexive tipping", then at least follow the advice given advice, to wit:

• Tipping is neither required nor expected (but see my note below)
  • It is not insulting, but truly should be given for services above and beyond, not just because the guide was good or you enjoyed your day

* Because of so much European travel by Americans, there are some places now where tipping IS almost expected, and it's a shame because it impacts the local residents who live there by changing the scale/expectations on it. PLEASE strive to follow whatever local expectations are and DON'T be a big tipper.

Yep.

but, at a crowded coffee shop, I may or may not put a 1EU coin on top of my receipt for my cafe...  Sometimes it will have the barista pick up my receipt faster thus I get my caffe  a little faster 😉  If not, he will remember me tomorrow...