Edge review 1/13

gizmodog

Does anyone know if Blu is still serving steaks of any kind? I don't know what to compare to as we haven't dined there in the past, but we have a sailing booked in Aqua for July. I booked it seeing other people's menu posts and decided it looked good enough to try, but I imagine they are cutting in all venues, despite the higher cost. I haven't made final payment yet... just sayin'. 

OP

Where did you have dinner?   4 mdrs, Luminae, BLU?

We had Luminae on BEYOND in Nov.  before announced cutbacks...home of the tiny lobster, mushy shrimp and burnt veggie slithers.  BLU was much better..we are going back to BLU on our next cruise..  Buffet was adequate..not superb!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

Does anyone know if Blu is still serving steaks of any kind? I don't know what to compare to as we haven't dined there in the past, but we have a sailing booked in Aqua for July. I booked it seeing other people's menu posts and decided it looked good enough to try, but I imagine they are cutting in all venues, despite the higher cost. I haven't made final payment yet... just sayin'. 

Look on the app for your cruise.   It will show what the menu is night by night.   It may not be that accurate but should give you and idea

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 minute ago, miched said:

Look on the app for your cruise.   It will show what the menu is night by night.   It may not be that accurate but should give you and idea

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Oh? Do they post them this far out? Our sailing is end of July. Thanks for the tip!

21 hours ago, gizmodog said:

Just got home today from a very very different Celebrity cruise. First let me say, I am elite plus so I am not a newbie with celebrity, secondly I love cruising and even though this was not the cruising style I am use to I enjoyed myself just being on the ocean and enjoying the wind, weather and sounds of the sea.

now…..the ship is clean, the staff try, but whatever has happened to this cruise line in a year is hard to understand.

the buffet is drastically cut back in the evening, no pasta bar, but there is a stir fry area, there are breads and cheeses, dessert choices, fruit, salad bar and a station with food of the evening. That is it. Pizza is always available in the back, which I love. I ate twice in the buffet for dinner, had stir fry each night and ate pizza quite a bit for lunch or a snack.

Drinks were terrible the number of fru fru 

blended drinks I got, BBC, DIRTY MONKEY, MIAMI VICE, PINA COLADA, more than half of them were undrinkable. Not blended enough, not smooth and creamy, no drinks were ever made the same which makes me wonder if the bartenders were ever trained. The number of servers in the pool area was not able to keep up with the number of people at the pool.

now the biggie, the main dining rooms. There was never a steak on the menu for all 10 nights other than the always available sirloin. No filet, no rib eye, no prime rib. The beef choices were short ribs, beef bourginonne, which was like having stew, I like stew, but I do expect a little more on a cruise. There was lots of pork, lamb, a pasta choice each night, black cod in one of the restaurants, other than that not even much seafood. 
my big disappointment was the stale breadsticks (which I love and look forward to) and do I even want to mention the lobster? These lobster were so small they looked like they would be illegal to keep if caught. Mine was served upside down with the shell showing, the meat was tough and no melted butter was offered to sprinkle on the lobster. It was served with a pile of rice pilaf and broccoli. We never had enough butter at our table of 6. No coffee was ever offered after dinner, not once!  We were informed a charge of 16.99 plus 18% gratuity would be charged if we wanted another lobster….who would??? Desserts were for the most part good, the bananas foster tasted like old bananas that probably should have been thrown out so they used them for dessert, plus they were not nice sliced bananas they were one banana cut in fours, you were served two of those 4..

I really don’t know what else to say, did I go hungry? no. Did I enjoy my dinners? Not really, I’m very saddened as to what has happened to what was my favorite cruise line

We leave in a month for Antartica on the Infinity and I can say my usual excitement is just not there, I’m sure I will love the scenery and the thrill of being somewhere I’ve never been but 14 days of this food and service is not my idea of a celebrity cruise.

I hear you, all the lines at once decided to cut things drastically, HAL is just as bad and though we had 2 great cruises with Princess in the late fall of 2021 I've read that things have gone sour with them also. We love to cruise with the ship for us being the destination, if things continue on the downhill same path, we will have to find something else to spend our vacation dollars on.

• Like 3

I have to agree on the drinks, I was on Beyond 1/15-1/22   Other than the martini bar and the "signature" drink at Sunset bar (because their "signature" drink was pre-made and poured from a plastic pourer) all the other drinks were never the same.  Many were a complete different color.   Saw two gentleman at the magic carpet bar with the "signature" drink, ordered it and again it was a completely different drink.

Not that big of a deal for me, but if I didn't have the drink package I would have been very upset on some of the garbage they were serving. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gizmodog said:

These lobster were so small they looked like they would be illegal to keep if caught. Mine was served upside down with the shell showing, the meat was tough and no melted butter was offered to sprinkle on the lobster. It was served with a pile of rice pilaf and broccoli.

I have heard a lot of talk about these small lobsters.  Are you sure that they aren't crawdads? 🙂

• Haha 4

We are on the Edge for the Feb.13 Panama Canal sailing from Ft.  Lauderdale.  This will be our first Celebrity cruise though we have been very happy with NCL, Princess, RC and HAL.  We recently took our first river cruise with Viking and enjoyed that as well.  Having said that, we will be in the MDR every evening as we are traveling with my father who prefers to hold to the traditional dining experience (same table, same waiter, same time). We typically only go to the buffet for breakfast and occasionally lunch, so not sure how many of the buffet issues will impact us.  Frankly, I think with the onset of all of the specialty restaurants on all cruise ships the MDR/buffet service tends to get short shrift and I am hoping this is not the case. We have enjoyed many lovely specialty dining experiences and have also had great MDR experiences as well.  Fingers crossed!

22 hours ago, terrydtx said:

As long as people continue to book cruises, prices will increase, service along with food will decline, and Celebrity will laugh all the way to the bank. This once great line is being destroyed by the bean counters. The longtime loyalists are being driven to look for better cruise line options.

Exactly this!  Just booked my first Viking cruise and am receiving beautiful Oceana brochures. Have been sailing with Celebrity since the mid 90's and think our upcoming cruise may be the last with them. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Exactly this!  Just booked my first Viking cruise and am receiving beautiful Oceana brochures. Have been sailing with Celebrity since the mid 90's and think our upcoming cruise may be the last with them. 

As I have booked our first Oceania cruise, I am now spending time on the Oceania CC forums. It is surprising how many are posting comments about being former Celebrity, NCL and HAL customers who are looking for better premium experiences. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the higher Celebrity pricing and cutbacks are forcing so many to look for more premium lines.

• Like 1

We do have a specific seating time--8:30.  I am not sure to which dining room we have been assigned.  my father (93 years and counting!) likes knowing the waiters by name.  He and my mother were avid cruisers and are probably elite or whatever the highest class is on Princess and possibly RC.  I am hoping this will not be a disappointment for him.  But, at the very least, we do have the premium drink package, so if all else fails, we can resort to that!  LOL. 

But other than the dining, are there any other major concerns, like seating at the pool?  We do have four sea days and I am hoping we can get some time there.  It has been awhile since we have been on a cruise in a warmer environment where the pool and outside venues are going to play more of a factor.

• Like 1

Still sail on Celebrity 2 or 3 times a year but have noticed changes over the years.  Dining in the MRD now is rushed, drink service lacking(by that I man they come by after you usually get your appetizer) and staff does not try to chat or act friendly as had been before.  I also think the quality in MDR is not as good and now I read that their menu if going to be more limited.  I was really surprised how much I had to pay for specialty dining in Tuscan Grille.  Not good enough for over $125+. Maybe because we have done it so many times.... We did enjoy the specialty dining on Edge and Apex but might not do it again looking at the cost.

I do not get the feeling onboard that Celebrity appreciates us anymore.  I know that was probably an act but did enjoy it.  Pay more for less.

If we get a Blue Chip offer we will continue to sail often.

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

There is no main dining room experience on the edge any longer it’s all select I believe, I could be wrong but from my recent experience I believe that’s the way it is now on the edge class ships.

I believe this is the new policy that became effective on Edge Class ships departing starting this month (January). I read that passengers who booked traditional seatings before the change are being changed to Select when they board.

Edited by terrydtx

I would agree with most of what has been posted.  After 9 of our last 12 cruises on Celebrity we have made the decision to explore other options.  The main issue we have had is the new pricing.  It used to be a value to slot between the more main stream lines of Royal, Celebrity, and Norwegian, and the higher end lines of Azamara, Viking etc.  But now they are defiantly priced more in line with the smaller luxury lines.

The ships are beautiful, but they are understaffed and over worked, and the food cutbacks have been very noticeable.  I understand every one in the industry is hurting, but the value proposition is not the same and people will look to other options.  We used to cruise 2 or 3 times a year, but now it is once.  I don't think these changes are exclusive to just Celebrity, as we have found HAL and Princess to be dealing with similar issues.  

I hate to complain as the defenders of the industry do seem to attack anyone who does, but deep down everyone knows it is not the same, prices had already started going up before Covid, but they had to reduce fares to entice folks back.  These are tough economic headwinds to navigate (no pun intended) for executive team but so far we would not give them a passing grade on the results so far.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, gizmodog said:

Honestly I’m done writing anything negative after this last comment

Don't be sorry about it...you're relaying your experience...you certainly don't *want* to be negative and you're not making it up...

I appreciate your feedback.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2023 at 7:09 AM, terrydtx said:

As I have booked our first Oceania cruise, I am now spending time on the Oceania CC forums. It is surprising how many are posting comments about being former Celebrity, NCL and HAL customers who are looking for better premium experiences. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the higher Celebrity pricing and cutbacks are forcing so many to look for more premium lines.

We have been on and liked Oceania   Looking at Retreat pricing climbing into the $10k range does make one think.   No complaints about the Retreat product and food. 

oceania is great food and service. Where it lacks is any “big” entertainment. Generally consists of duo singers or small ensembles around the ship. Realistically the food is the entertainment 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:09 AM, terrydtx said:

We are with you!  We had such a terrible food experience on our January Silhouette cruise (our 32nd on X) that we have vowed to book with Celebrity no more.  We actually had booked a suite for my husband's birthday next year, but plan to cancel because we can get a Virgin Voyages cruise for less.  And we've heard really good things about them.  They even give credit if you have loyalty perks with another cruise line (such as a complementary $100 bar tab and free internet).  In addition, we are going to South American on Oceania in March.  Between those two new experiences, I hope to find a new home, cause X ain't cutting it anymore!

• Like 1

Just off the Infinity 12-day South American Santiago to BA 02-14Jan2023.

Replaced a cancelled 2022 Oceania similar itinerary. 

Extremely disappointing is the only way to describe it.  We were Aqua class, Blu.

Food -

Food just OK; we had Anytime MDR four nights, Tuscan 2-nights, Blu for the other nights. None were outstanding. Yes, Steaks were sirloin not ribeyes.  Le Pitit was poor service, and we were told that the promised "media show" was down due to AV problems.  When the waiter deposited foil wrapped butter on the bread plate, and when the bar service and waiter never materialized, we got up from the table and left the room.   Spoke to the Maiter 'd who didn't even apologize. (We weren't charged)

Cruise Director Alejandro was simply awful. Three theatre presentations with him. He should NEVER be allowed on another cruise. Entertainment was equally bad. High school reviews at best.

There was ZERO destination enrichment, discussion of history, politics, important events, etc. Never a mention, let alone discussion, of the Portuguese and Spanish explorers.  Magellan, Darwin, Cook, the Beagle? NOTHING!  We expected much much more on this cruise. Instead the staff treated this departure as a Caribbean cruise with South American day stops.

Activities -

Activities were very juvenile.  One Constellation Lounge show was "Simon Says", "musical hoops/chairs” and body balloon pops.  This in the late afternoon or evening in the Constellation Lounge…. Are you kidding me?!  Gee, I was expecting Hairy Chest and Biggest Belly contests next!  It was like NCL or Carnival around the pool in the 1970s.

I don’t recall the activities director’s name - as she was easily forgettable.  She was clearly going though the motions; The eye-rolls told you she didn’t like Alejandro’s antics much either.  Golf putting contest, and Bocce in the hallway by the Martini bar?

There were at least two sessions of music and general trivia knowledge.  One where the MC’s accent couldn’t enunciate the name of the song or artist. Gee that’s fun!  (Not)  There were THREE theatre discussions about past Hollywood movie stars and celebrities.  Did we fly nine hours for 12-days of South America experiences for that?  Give me a break!

Entertainment -

Nice if you like high school kids pretending to be on Broadway.

Comedian was pretty good, but they moved his second show to 2:30 in the afternoon.  Sure, lot of laughs from a sober audience in the mid-afternoon.

Two other “late shows” were cancelled.  Alejandro’s “explanation”: Too many Americans went to bed early, and the Latins wouldn’t show up because they were still eating.

The “Silent Disco” was different, but again only lasted for 45 minutes.  Solo guitarist was awful, the Latin group playing past hits and the reggie band were tolerable, but just barely.

Best music was by the two ladies on the violin and cello in the Wine Cellar and foyer.  They were excellent!

Embarkation -

Embarkation was a TOTAL DISASTER!  Despite repeated email notices about boarding at assigned times to ensure a quick and orderly boarding, the pier-side area was a long line backed up for hours.  The check-in process was totally redundant.

What is the purpose to complete the ON-LINE check-in days before departure if the entire process is repeated upon arrival and handled by a bunch of 20-year old locals with zero familiarity with the process? The third party cruise port staff stood around doing nothing! Refreshments, snacks, adequate seating, or music while waiting?  Nope. No sign of the cruise staff at all.  Apologies afterwards?  No again.

The online app is worthless, and the inability of crew to explain the workings of the app and internet access was very poor. We eventually got it working on our devices, but it was still very frustrating.  And the changes required messed up our iPhone settings when we reached shoreside excursions and at the end of the cruise. 

I stopped counting cruise ship trips after 50.  This will surely be the last Celebrity cruise departure.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 8:30 AM, terrydtx said:

As long as people continue to book cruises, prices will increase, service along with food will decline, and Celebrity will laugh all the way to the bank. This once great line is being destroyed by the bean counters. The longtime loyalists are being driven to look for better cruise line options.

Great post terrydtx and agree with all of your comments.  But where I honestly become a bit confused and hoping you or someone else can help me understand is how/why they continue to raise prices when the ships are not sailing full?  I have read several posts of some ships sailing a few hundred to even several hundred passengers below capacity so to my way of thinking, would Celebrity not lower the prices to fill the cabins?  Granted I have a pretty rudimentary understanding of economics lol

I really don't understand the change in beef selections.  Royal Caribbean, which just introduced new MDR menus, have prime rib, filets and other beef items included on the menus.  Why would Celebrity, which is part RCI, not offer the same?  It makes no sense.

• Like 3

This is so disappointing, we board the Infinity on Feb. 25 and I was so hoping it would be a better cruise then the one I just finished on the Edge. 
we have spent a lot of money on these two cruises to not even get a steak unless we spend more money to get one.

the wait staff on the edge in the main DINING ROOMS WERE AWFUL ON THE EDGE, and what’s with the butter?? Never enough and none offered for the pathetic lobster tails.

I have to quit dwelling I guess and hope for the best.

How was the ship? Your cabin? 

• Like 1