Does RC send a bill when final payment due? Can you pay by check?

Katems75

Our final payment is coming up February 12.  Will RC email us telling us it's due?  Can we pay by check?  if we pay by check do we need to mail it NOW so that it has arrived by February 12?  If you miss the deadline do they just cancel your cruise?

42 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Our final payment is coming up February 12.  Will RC email us telling us it's due?  Can we pay by check?  if we pay by check do we need to mail it NOW so that it has arrived by February 12?  If you miss the deadline do they just cancel your cruise?

Hit or miss whether you get an e mail reminder.

Call them and ask the process for paying by cheque. 

Yes if you miss the deadline your cruise will be cancelled. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neverbeenhere said:

You may receive a final payment email

i’ve never heard of paying by check. But I’d contact royal for a direct address, if you can pay by check.

yes if you don’t make final payment on time your cruise will be canceled 

Lol, we pretty much typed the exact same response at the same time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

What is this "Check" thing you speak of???🤣

Seriously though, pay with any credit card that has any rewards of any type and send a check to your CC company.

Not to mention the added purchase protection and insurance you can get with a credit card.

And the immediate knowledge that payment was received without having to wait for the guy and his horse to make it across the Oregon Trail with your envelope and stamp 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Not to mention the added purchase protection and insurance you can get with a credit card.

And the immediate knowledge that payment was received without having to wait for the guy and his horse to make it across the Oregon Trail with your envelope and stamp 😂

Or some intern in the mail room to get it to accounting and hope that someone there credits it to the correct reservation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katems75 said:

For me personally I would never risk mailing a check and taking the chance of it getting lost and my cruise cancelled.

Use a credit card so that you immediately know your payment has been credited and your cruise is secure…..

• Like 1

I'm going to assume OP doesn't have a credit card.  

I would suggest using a debit card (don't you automatically get one with a checking account).  If for some reason you can't (or don't want to) do that, yes, send a check immediately.  Use Fed Ex or UPS for next day and you get better tracking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

For me personally I would never risk mailing a check and taking the chance of it getting lost and my cruise cancelled.

Use a credit card so that you immediately know your payment has been credited and your cruise is secure…..

What are you talking about, every month I pay bills or receive checks by mail in the thousands, and over the past 60 plus years maybe 5 checks got lost; over a portion of this time period how many major accounts have been hacked and all of your personal information has been stolen.

Well it's a group cruise...if the coordinator of the cruise (Grandma) pays the big final payment for everyone by credit card does that mean her card is linked to all the individual reservations and sea pass cards?  She definitely doesn't want people buying anything on board or in port that will end up on her credit card.  Once the cruise, itself, is paid for everyone is on their own for any extras.  Again, fear is that if she uses the card to pay it'll be linked to everyone's sea pass...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Well it's a group cruise...if the coordinator of the cruise (Grandma) pays the big final payment for everyone by credit card does that mean her card is linked to all the individual reservations and sea pass cards? 

thats not possible. there is no link between the payment method used to pay in full and a payment method for the onboard account. they are two separate things

10 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

everyone is on their own for any extras.

when you do the online check in for the cruise you can set up the account so that everyone is on their own and make it so thier account is cash based. both a cash based and credit card is individual to each person

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katems75 said:

Well it's a group cruise...if the coordinator of the cruise (Grandma) pays the big final payment for everyone by credit card does that mean her card is linked to all the individual reservations and sea pass cards?  She definitely doesn't want people buying anything on board or in port that will end up on her credit card.  Once the cruise, itself, is paid for everyone is on their own for any extras.  Again, fear is that if she uses the card to pay it'll be linked to everyone's sea pass...

Oh ok, that makes sense. I can see why it would be a concern for Grandma.

They will not link that credit card for future use. When everyone does their online check-in once the cruise gets closer, they will be asked the put in their own credit card number if they want to use one.

They can also opt for a "cash" account, meaning they just run up a tab that they'll have to stand in line to pay at the end of the cruise (either with cash, debit or credit card..or maybe even a check, if they take those on the ship, I'm not sure).

9 hours ago, RobInMN said:

What is this "Check" thing you speak of???🤣

Yeah a Generational thing. Until I took over Bills yr ago Mom still wrote them and finally talked her into getting a Debit Card 2yrs ago. Until I took over her Bills she was still Budgeting by monthly putting cash in Envelopes marked with Xmas Fund, Light Bill, Taxes, etc. I drove her pay her Bills in person and walk in Credit Union at least 3 times a week to WD cash or transfer funds from Savings to Checking. Younger 55yr old Sister still writes Checks for everything, can't figure that one out. Then 2 my Adult Kids dont even carry cash. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah a Generational thing. Until I took over Bills yr ago Mom still wrote them and finally talked her into getting a Debit Card 2yrs ago. Until I took over her Bills she was still Budgeting by monthly putting cash in Envelopes marked with Xmas Fund, Light Bill, Taxes, etc. I drove her pay her Bills in person and walk in Credit Union at least 3 times a week to WD cash or transfer funds from Savings to Checking. Younger 55yr old Sister still writes Checks for everything, can't figure that one out. Then 2 my Adult Kids dont even carry cash. 

Its also mostly a US thing, in Sweden checks disappeared in the early 90:s (together with traveller checks) and banks don't issue or accept them anymore. I belive its the same in most of Europe now. Everything is electronic these days, card, direct transfer or pay, even cash is slowly with many shops or restaurants now declare themselves "cash free"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

"The guy and his horse" then hand it to the pilot of the Biplane who hopes to gain enough altitude to climb over the Rockies. 😁

• Like 1

I have a checkbook.  I wrote out 1 check in 3 years out of my checkbook.  But yet, I also know people my age, that will pay bills by check and  never do transfers out of the bank.  They aren't old grandparents.  But yet, they don't trust transfers, but ironically they trust a check.  

If she is paying by check, maybe pay another family member to complete the transactions for her?

10 hours ago, ronandcarla said:

What are you talking about, every month I pay bills or receive checks by mail in the thousands, and over the past 60 plus years maybe 5 checks got lost; over a portion of this time period how many major accounts have been hacked and all of your personal information has been stolen.

I am glad you have had no issues… however I stand by my statement that “I” personally would not risk having the United States postal service deliver something so important on time.

I very rarely write or receive checks because almost everything I do is online.  But you do you and I’ll do me….😁

• Like 3

I use my rewards CC to pay any and all bills that do not charge a fee to do so and, yes, there are a few places that will.  For me, it’s mostly my electric bill, mortgage, municipal taxes/services.   I will pay as many as those type by electronic transfer but I still write maybe 2 checks per month.  I alway laughed when people would come into the Town Tax Office, not want to pay the service charge and loudly announce they don’t even remember how to write a check.  I tell them it’s ok, we help many elderly residents write their checks & I’d be happy to assist them too!