Seaside May 2023, Unexplained Price Increase for Confirmed Booking

twangster

Back in December I booked the Seaside for this coming May.  I talked a friend into booking their own cabin.   Approaching final payment my friend noticed his fare went up ~$82 since we booked in December.  Checking my booking I had the same ~$82 rate increase.  The two bookings are separate and not linked.  

I have the original booking confirmation email from December and it clearly shows the rate I booked under.  Now the cruise invoice is showing a total that is ~$82 more.  

Granted it's a cheap 3 night Seaside to OC overnight in a guarantee interior.  It included Easy Plus and wifi.  It was a great rate but that doesn't mean they should be able to arbitrarily increase the fare for a confirmed booking months after booking it.  

My booking included the prepaid the hotel service charge.  My friend's booking did not include the hotel service charge.  Both went up the same ~$82.  

Anyone else seeing unexplained price increases for confirmed bookings?

I'm going on the World Europa in May and the same thing happened to me.  The port taxes went down and when they were adjusted it repriced the reservation to today's pricing.  Apparently it happens frequently.

Send a copy of your original reservation to: mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com.  They reinstated my original pricing in less than an hour. 

• Like 1

Taxes went down $1.46.

Base cruise fare before taxes went up $83.40. 

I called and they wouldn't do anything on the phone but told me to email.  

I emailed mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com a few days ago.  No response yet.   

After a week with no reply I looked yesterday and saw the price had not been adjusted back to the original booked fare.

I did see some that final payment due date had been changed from 2/26 (75 days) to 2/11 (90 days).  My original booking invoice states final payment due on 2/26.

So I cancelled yesterday (2/10) so I can get my $99 deposit back.  

Not only did they increase the cruise fare of the confirmed booking they changed the final payment due date after I emailed them to correct the cruise fare.  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

After a week with no reply I looked yesterday and saw the price had not been adjusted back to the original booked fare.

I did see some that final payment due date had been changed from 2/26 (75 days) to 2/11 (90 days).  My original booking invoice states final payment due on 2/26.

So I cancelled yesterday (2/10) so I can get my $99 deposit back.  

Not only did they increase the cruise fare of the confirmed booking they changed the final payment due date after I emailed them to correct the cruise fare.  

Interesting (not in a good way).

Tom

I am fairly certain they changed my final payment due date in response to requesting they put the cruise fare back to what it was originally.  Had I not cancelled or paid in full yesterday, they would have cancelled the cruise today for non-payment.  Could you imagine trying to untangle that mess?

It's a 3 day cruise.  Final payment is supposed to be at 75 days as my original invoice shows.  

The cruise was May 11.  

On 2/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, Av8tor said:

Is it still showing as a 3-day? Perhaps MSC changed it to a 4-day without notifying you - they've done so in the past. That could explain the price increase and change in final payment dates.   

Still 3 day.

There were several of us booked on this sailing.  We all had price increases.

One couple was able to get it adjusted back to the original fare.

One guy is just going to pay the extra money.

I cancelled when I saw them adjust my final payment due date to try to have the cruise cancelled on me when I didn't pay according to the new final payment due date.

To circle around for an update, today I received my $99 deposit back.  No fighting it for it like the last time.  While I hate missing the Seaside cruise in May over this, at least I got my deposit money back.

In other news, my early January Meraviglia cruise has resulted in no points.  Second time I've received no points for a Meraviglia cruise.  

I must have a note in my account to screw this customer around.

• 4 weeks later...

I had that happen to me. I called 3 times and could not get an explanation. Finally I told the last person that I am about to cancel if it did not get fixed. She advised me to send an email to MSc existing reservations department. I sent the email and was asked to send a copy of my original booking confirmation. I sent the copy and received an email with an apology and a new confirmation with the original price. I had not yet paid in full at that time so I went ahead and paid the balance on my original price. So now I will be on the Seaside at my original price. Sometimes you just have to stand your ground. 

LadyM.

Why should a person use a TA if you are capable of making your own plans.I prefer to have a one on one conversation instead of going through a third party. It’s just a matter of preference…to each his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LadyM51 said:

Why should a person use a TA if you are capable of making your own plans.I prefer to have a one on one conversation instead of going through a third party. It’s just a matter of preference…to each his own.

You just had to go through  internal 3rd party 3 times  to get to the email which eventually solved the issue

That would be a single call to TA.

With UK TA offering 15% on MSC prices, on some bookings that is a decent chunk to give up.

MSC might do a bit when you call but sometimes not enough.

We do both direct and TA on a case by case, some lines the internal TA contact gives  the benefits of direct and single point of contact.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

why aren't people using a travel agent(no I am not a TA)

I don't like using a TA because it seems like every time I have used one, I know more than the TA and have to tell them what to do. I find it easier to book directly with a cruise line than having to go through a third party, waiting for them to call me back when I need something, having to explain to them what to do, etc.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I don't like using a TA because it seems like every time I have used one, I know more than the TA and have to tell them what to do. I find it easier to book directly with a cruise line than having to go through a third party, waiting for them to call me back when I need something, having to explain to them what to do, etc.

Unfortunately in some cases this is true. Another problem I have is that with some TAs you have to do a permanently follow up because they do not react immediately. Or when there is something to clarify with the cruise line, they just forward my email to them and the email from the cruise line to me. Or when I ask a specific question for example about COVID tests, they answer with a link to the cruise line webpage without looking themselves into that link to see if my question is being answered.

But fortunately not all TAs are like what I have described. So I do use a TA.

Ivi

We've always booked direct with the cruise line (100+ cruises). Having said that, given the challenges I was having with the MSC website and their phone support (plus what I've read on the MSC boards), our three MSC sailings (one being a group cruise for my office) are through a TA.

Tom

• Like 1

My experiences with TAs have been frustrating. I have had to wait for days for them to get back to me with answers so I just call the cruise line myself. Fortunately, I have not had any bad experiences. Yes, I may have to call more than once but I am comfortable calling myself and I have the time since I am retired.

I see people who have had trouble with some of the reps from MSC but I have not experienced that situation. I am fortunate to have met some wonderful reps from MSC with whom I have developed great friendships. As I have said, it is an individual choice.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:40 PM, twangster said:

Back in December I booked the Seaside for this coming May.  I talked a friend into booking their own cabin.   Approaching final payment my friend noticed his fare went up ~$82 since we booked in December.  Checking my booking I had the same ~$82 rate increase.  The two bookings are separate and not linked.  

I have the original booking confirmation email from December and it clearly shows the rate I booked under.  Now the cruise invoice is showing a total that is ~$82 more.  

Granted it's a cheap 3 night Seaside to OC overnight in a guarantee interior.  It included Easy Plus and wifi.  It was a great rate but that doesn't mean they should be able to arbitrarily increase the fare for a confirmed booking months after booking it.  

My booking included the prepaid the hotel service charge.  My friend's booking did not include the hotel service charge.  Both went up the same ~$82.  

Anyone else seeing unexplained price increases for confirmed bookings?

Yep.

When I went to make my final payment online invoice showed higher price than orginal.

B2B in May on Preziosa.

Spent 90 min on the phone getting both corrected. 

Had to send screenshots of original invoice to MSC.

"The word is" when you add something (excursion, internet, drink package, etc) to ANY booking you have, it adjusts the pricing to ALL your bookings to the current price. That is insane, but it does appear what happened as I added things to a Feb. booking.

Now, I have added excursions to these May bookings with no invoice issues & the price of these cruises have increased considerably since I booked in Nov., so who knows...

Edited by KKB

Finding a good TA is like finding a good Realtor or car salesman...not impossible but difficult at times.

I've used the same TA / agency for many years  w every line imaginable from 7 day Bermuda to World cruise on QE2.  I just booked a carib & the agent is sending info on a 2025 WC.

Any questions go directly to the TA & I verify in writing/text/email.  i usually get answers within a couple of hours which is fine.  They even followed through on credits due me and status  after many years on a line(HAL, Cunard, Celebrity & Princess that I cruised w since the 1970's).

I do compare price w the cruise line website & the agency always is a better rate & offers OBC  along w whatever the cruise line is offering.

also I learned an important lesson on 9/11.. I was due to sail to Europe in QE2 that weekend & lived in NYC.  after the attacks  a day or 2 after I called Cunard(QE2 was diverted to Boston) and explained I lived in a frozen zone downtown and was not going to sail.. CUNARD was worthless. Under the circumstances you would think they would have matters under control.  I called the TA & they said "dont worry about anything we've got you covered & the TA  dealt w Cunard.

If anyone else can't get resolution from MSC increasing the price of a confirmed booking here are some resources to consider:

• Dear -----------------, 

The Florida Attorney General's Office received your email regarding your concerns with MSC Cruises.  Attorney General Moody asked that I respond.  

We appreciate hearing from you, and I am sorry for your difficulties.The Attorney General's Office is concerned with all potentially unfair and deceptive trade practices. We are forwarding your information to the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division for review.

We are also forwarding your complaint to the state's mediation program, operated by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DACS). You may follow up with the mediation program at:

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
    Division of Consumer Services
    2005 Apalachee Parkway
    Tallahassee, Florida 32399
    Telephone: (850) 410-3800
    Toll-free within FL: (800) 435-7352
    https://www.fdacs.gov/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services
    Complaint/License Search: https://csapp.800helpfla.com/cspublicapp/businesssearch/businesssearch.aspx

In addition, the Federal Maritime Commission, Office of Consumer Affairs and Dispute Resolution Services (CADRS), offers Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) services for passengers who have encountered a problem on a cruise. You can find more information about the services offered through CADRS, along with contact information for the agency, online at: 

https://www.fmc.gov/databases-services/consumer-affairs-dispute-resolution-services/

Finally, Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act provides individuals with a private remedy to bring an action for damages, attorney's fees and court costs. Because our office is not at liberty to give legal advice or guidance to private individuals, if you need legal guidance please consult a private attorney. If you need help finding a Florida attorney, The Florida Bar offers a Lawyer Referral Service toll-free in the U.S. at (800) 342-8011 or online at https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/. 

Thank you for contacting the Attorney General's office. I hope this proves helpful to you.  

Sincerely,

Ariam Hernandez
    Office of Citizen Services
    Florida Attorney General's Office
    PL-01, The Capitol
    Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1050
    Telephone:  (850) 414-3990
    Toll-free within Florida: (866) 966-7226
    www.myfloridalegal.com

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL. THIS ADDRESS IS FOR PROCESSING ONLY.

To contact this office please visit the Attorney General's website at 
    www.myfloridalegal.com and complete the on-line contact form.  Again, thank you for contacting the Office of the Florida Attorney General.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 11:21 PM, LadyM51 said:

Without using a TA you will always pay more, not be offered all of the available cabin choices and book without a professional who has a relationship with the cruise lines. (No, I'm not a TA.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Without using a TA you will always pay more, not be offered all of the available cabin choices and book without a professional who has a relationship with the cruise lines. (No, I'm not a TA.)

I disagree. When booking with MSC I have almost always received the same price booking through MSC as with any agent. Only once did I receive a $25 obc with a TA when booking MSC.  I prefer to handle my bookings myself because most of the time when I have booked through a TA I have had to explain to them what to do or I would have to wait for them to get back in touch with me, which I hate. 

My 2 MSC cruises I just got back from in January I did book through an agent and hated it because they hated dealing with MSC and would never return my calls. It was not worth the $25 obc for each cruise.

I just booked 3 NCL cruises and did go through an agent due to the fact the agent pays the gratuities which is over $800.  That is a big savings. I wanted a specific cabin and she kept saying it was not available when I knew it was. It showed on the NCL website.  Finally, after she looked at the website she was able to get the cabin I wanted.  

After 56 cruises, I am pretty knowledgeable on how to book my own cruise and I prefer not going through an agent but for $800 savings, I will "put up" with one.

2 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I disagree. When booking with MSC I have almost always received the same price booking through MSC as with any agent. Only once did I receive a $25 obc with a TA when booking MSC.  I prefer to handle my bookings myself because most of the time when I have booked through a TA I have had to explain to them what to do or I would have to wait for them to get back in touch with me, which I hate. 

My 2 MSC cruises I just got back from in January I did book through an agent and hated it because they hated dealing with MSC and would never return my calls. It was not worth the $25 obc for each cruise.

I just booked 3 NCL cruises and did go through an agent due to the fact the agent pays the gratuities which is over $800.  That is a big savings. I wanted a specific cabin and she kept saying it was not available when I knew it was. It showed on the NCL website.  Finally, after she looked at the website she was able to get the cabin I wanted.  

After 56 cruises, I am pretty knowledgeable on how to book my own cruise and I prefer not going through an agent but for $800 savings, I will "put up" with one.

I’m going out on a limb here but I’m guessing your experience is not the norm…as it relates to MSC. With so many cruises under your belt it is obvious you are more we than capable of handling your own bookings. Most people don’t have that kind of experience and many people are new to MSC and have no clue how to navigate their quirky customer service (or lack of). Additionally, while the list price of the cruise may be the same, a TA can offer huge incentives in the form of refundable OBC and other benefits as well. The fact that your use of a TA only garnered $25 is unfortunate bc there are so many out there who do monumentally better while perfectly  navigating MSC waters on the client’s behalf. After 30+ cruises myself, never would I book with MSC on my own.  To each their own though and I certainly respect your experience and know-how.