Stupid Hat Question ;)

LVinTennessee

Haven’t cruised in several years and don’t remember ever packing a hat.

I plan to bring a sun hat on my upcoming cruises.  

How important is it to have a hat with a chin strap vs one without? Outdoors on the ship or in Caribbean ports, is the wind going to whip a hat off my head if I don’t have a chin strap?

Thanks in advance for opinions and your experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LVinTennessee said:

How important is it to have a hat with a chin strap vs one without? Outdoors on the ship or in Caribbean ports, is the wind going to whip a hat off my head if I don’t have a chin strap?

My wife and I don’t like the chin straps so just take our chances.  Creates occasional excitement!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t care for hats with straps, but I have one and normally use it and it can be tucked in the hat when I don’t. I don’t care to bother holding a hat on my head when I have better things to do with my hands.

53 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

The ocean is full of hats without a strap….

This is so true! Full disclosure...I hate hats of any kind.  My dermatologist has convinced me after several skin cancers to finally get serious and cover up.  I have one of those floppy fishing hats (Columbia) with a strap.  My husband affectionately (I hope) refers to it as my "goobie" hat.  It works. It doesn't fly away and protects me from the sun.  I attach a carabiner clip to it and rip it off and attach it to my bag once indoors.  I wouldn't attempt a hat without a strap.  Seriously, I have had earrings blow out of my ears that weren't attached with a secure clip.   

• Like 3

I own no strapped-hats.  I usually bring: 

- A ball cap, which fits tightly enough that it won't blow away.  I wear this in the pool or to active excursions. 

- A straw hat -- I usually wear this for boarding rather than pack it.  I wear this for island stops when I'm wearing a sundress or nice shorts outfit for an excursion.  I might wear it if we're taking a walk around the ship mid-day.  I've had the same favorite hat for ... two decades?  And it hasn't blow away yet.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I always wear Tilley hats that have straps that can be tucked away when not needed. Most of the time I don't need the strap, but they're a godsend on windy days or when moving quickly, such as in an open boat. 

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t care for hats with straps, but I have one and normally use it and it can be tucked in the hat when I don’t. I don’t care to bother holding a hat on my head when I have better things to do with my hands.

I'm a "tucker" too. I really like Sunday Afternoon hats, especially the women's hat that has a gap in the back for a ponytail. I'd rather have the strap than lose my hat. I either tuck it up inside OR I put the strap towards the back of my head instead of by my chin, where it is covered up by the back brim of the hat and I can't feel it at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

Saw many hats go over the railings on our recent Caribbean cruise.

20 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm a "tucker" too. I really like Sunday Afternoon hats, especially the women's hat that has a gap in the back for a ponytail. I'd rather have the strap than lose my hat. I either tuck it up inside OR I put the strap towards the back of my head instead of by my chin, where it is covered up by the back brim of the hat and I can't feel it at all.

Another vote for Sunday Afternoon hats --- I have one that has a chin strap & an adjustable hat band on the outside that you can snug up or down ---my only gripe is the strap chokes me when I don't have the hat on my head.

13 hours ago, Beachfrog said:

I love wearing my hat from Outdoors Tribe. I tuck the straps inside the top of the hat when not needed. 

Women's Outdoor UV-Protection-Foldable Sun-Hats Mesh Wide-Brim Beach Fishing Hat with Ponytail-Hole

I have this same hat in all white & in black. Both are SPF 50

Thanks for everyone’s insights. I thought I had decided on the wise choice - my hat with a chin strap. 
However, like any decent lady, I tried my hats on again and prefer the hat without the chin strap! So I’m throwing caution to the wind (heehee) and going with fashion over function. ;)))

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:20 PM, jbrinkm said:

I also have the one for the ponytail. Love it.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, nimbex1970 said:

All depends on how long you like to sit or walk with your hand holding onto your hat before it blows away.

It always looks so funny someone holding their hat. It reminds me of someone constantly holding up their pants because they don’t have a belt.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1