Dressy Night menu vs Regular MDR menu

JeannyJ

I know that the Dressy Night menu is multi course but don't know anything about it beyond that. We're going on our first cruise, to Alaska (Volendam), in July and are trying to figure out our dining plan and how it will work with excursions. We're planning on having most of our breakfasts in our room, and lunch at the Dive-in or Lido Market, but want to be sure we're ready with dressy clothes, etc for the MDR and specialty dining. Also I'd love to know anything you can tell me about afternoon, and high, tea. I tried to book a time on the website but when I signed in it disappeared and I couldn't find it on my booking page.

All dinners in the MDR are by default three courses- appetizers, entrees/sides, dessert. If you were to order multiple appetizers or entrees, those would kind of be “extra” courses, however portions are not usually altered. Dining in the Pinnacle Grill on a typical night and in Tamarind m/popups follow the same pattern. Note that ib specialty restaurants you may be charged for extra appetizers or entrees.

• Thanks 1

I've never seen that people can book for teatime and it's not necessary.  It's not "High Tea" by definition.  Finger sandwiches and cakes and pastry type sweets.  I went once and never felt compelled to go again.  

Look at the "Live From" posts and many of those post all the menus and Daily Schedule of activities.  

This site from @Crew Newshas all kinds of info in it.  

Roger Jett Photography - Digital Images in Time Roger Jett Photography (rogerjett-photography.com)

Thanks to Roger as always!

Enjoy Alaska!

~Nancy

• Like 2

Dressy Night clothing for men is a minimum of collared polo shirt and slacks.  Traveling partners are similarly dressed.  There will be about 12 tuxedos and long gowns for those who go all out.  Half will be jackets with or without ties, and the rest just the minimum requirement previously noted.

Here is a link to the daily programs from my Alaska cruise last year to give you an idea of what to expect:  Daily Programs 7-Day Alaska 2022

Since i will be in Alaska in May, I will have posted the daily MDR and Specialty Restaurant menus to help in your planning.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

At one time Gala or Formal nights on a cruise ship had more of an upgraded menu, like surf and turf, lobster and beef fillet. Last year on our 14-night Oosterdam cruise, with 4 Gala nights no lobster was served on any of them that you didn't have to pay an upcharge for. One Gala night the "surf and turf" was a sirloin steak with 3 small grilled shrimp on top. By looking at the menu it is almost impossible now to determine if it is a Gala night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

I've never seen that people can book for teatime and it's not necessary.  It's not "High Tea" by definition.  Finger sandwiches and cakes and pastry type sweets.  I went once and never felt compelled to go again.  

Look at the "Live From" posts and many of those post all the menus and Daily Schedule of activities.  

This site from @Crew Newshas all kinds of info in it.  

Roger Jett Photography - Digital Images in Time Roger Jett Photography (rogerjett-photography.com)

Thanks to Roger as always!

Enjoy Alaska!

~Nancy

"I went once and never felt compelled to go again" sums up my response to afternoon tea. I admit, I'm spoiled by Cunard's tea and a wonderful tea shop near me. But the ambiance of tea in the MDR is too busy, loud, and bustling. The first cup of tea was so strong that it looked like coffee! Two women at my table who said they normally don't put milk or cream in their tea used it just to dilute the strong brew! Sandwiches and pastries were nice, but nothing special. 

If you like tea, be aware that HAL's standard tea is Bigelow. I find their black teas bitter and, frankly, vile. There usually will be PG tips at the Lido. If you have a favorite tea, bring your own tea bags. I try to remember to pack Twinings. 

If your cruise stops at Victoria BC, you could go to tea at the Empress Hotel. It's expensive. Most afternoon teas are expensive because of the work that goes into making all the little sandwiches and pastries. But the Empress does an elegant tea. 

• Like 3

Dressy night menus will likely have shrimp cocktail or escargot, a better beef cut, lamb chops, a better fish offering. Maybe a fancier dessert. They tend to be on the first full sea day and a sea day toward the end of the cruise but not night of embarkation nor the last night.

Photographers will be out in full force taking portrait type pix of folks while they are dressed up. They will have stations with backdrop screens and lighting. No charge for getting your picture taken, then go see them in the photo shop a decide if you’d like to purchase them, prices vary, sometimes there are combo packages. Maybe $25 for a full size print. Photographers might come around the dining room offering to take your pictures. 
Enjoy Alaska!  That was our first cruise, hooked us!  m—

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

but want to be sure we're ready with dressy clothes, etc for the MDR and specialty dining.

Kaki pants and a long sleeve collared sports shirt and I meet the "dressy" requirement.  In fact, that is my attire for every evening in the MDR.

I know that the Dressy Night menu is multi course but don't know anything about it beyond that.

The "dressy night" menu is the same amount of courses but the menu is kicked up a notch.  That's the filet   beef night for us.  We rarely go to specialty restaurants but "dressy" night would, in our opinion, not be the night to miss the MDR.

We enjoy 5 courses every evening in the MDR.  Appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert.  Love it!

Also I'd love to know anything you can tell me about afternoon, and high, tea.

Tea is at 3 on sea days and usually in the MDR.  Lots of fun especially when we bring Mother with us as it is a favorite of hers.  They place a three tier plate of goodies on your table and all the tea you can drink.  No surcharge. No reservation required.  Show up and enjoy.  The time/place will be in your daily program/navigator. 

Enjoy Holland American Line........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We enjoy 5 courses every evening in the MDR.  Appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert.  Love it!

We do too!  Every line we've been on the last several years has been combing soups, salads and appetizers into one category, but we always select one of each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Kaki pants and a long sleeve collared sports shirt and I meet the "dressy" requirement.  In fact, that is my attire for every evening in the MDR.

Pretty much my evening wear, except for dressy night my shirt is a button up Hawaiian Tommy Bahama shirt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:08 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

"I went once and never felt compelled to go again" sums up my response to afternoon tea. I admit, I'm spoiled by Cunard's tea and a wonderful tea shop near me. But the ambiance of tea in the MDR is too busy, loud, and bustling. The first cup of tea was so strong that it looked like coffee! Two women at my table who said they normally don't put milk or cream in their tea used it just to dilute the strong brew! Sandwiches and pastries were nice, but nothing special. 

If you like tea, be aware that HAL's standard tea is Bigelow. I find their black teas bitter and, frankly, vile. There usually will be PG tips at the Lido. If you have a favorite tea, bring your own tea bags. I try to remember to pack Twinings. 

If your cruise stops at Victoria BC, you could go to tea at the Empress Hotel. It's expensive. Most afternoon teas are expensive because of the work that goes into making all the little sandwiches and pastries. But the Empress does an elegant tea. 

We're sailing round trip from Vancouver so we won't be going to the island. But some day I'd like to do high tea at one of the big castle hotels (either in Victoria or Lake Louise) for some old fashioned classiness. I will bring some of my favorite teas, unless they give you a choice of teas, so I can go easy on the black tea and caffeine levels.

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam and last night was our formal night, and as was mentioned, it seemed that long pants and a collared shirt was all that was required.  They had filet on the menu, but no surf and turf or lobster.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, misguy said:

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam and last night was our formal night, and as was mentioned, it seemed that long pants and a collared shirt was all that was required.  They had filet on the menu, but no surf and turf or lobster.  

Fillet and lobster, surf and turf, is now an $18 upcharge.

• Like 1

The dressy nights are the nights we try to do specialty dining. We are never impressed by what's on the menu. We aren't alone as on our last cruise, our concierge in the Neptune said that the dressy nights were usually the most heavily booked for specialty dining. Yes, they have surf or turf, but I've never found either to be anything to write home about in the MDR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keysey222 said:

The dressy nights are the nights we try to do specialty dining. We are never impressed by what's on the menu. We aren't alone as on our last cruise, our concierge in the Neptune said that the dressy nights were usually the most heavily booked for specialty dining. Yes, they have surf or turf, but I've never found either to be anything to write home about in the MDR.

We love dressy nights in the MDR!  We don't write home about any menus on a cruise; be it MDR, specialty dining, or otherwise.

That being said, we always schedule our specialty dining reservations around dressy nights in the MDR, because it's still special to us.. YMMV.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keysey222 said:

Surf and turf as in shrimp.  There is no lobster.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

We love dressy nights in the MDR!  We don't write home about any menus on a cruise; be it MDR, specialty dining, or otherwise.

That being said, we always schedule our specialty dining reservations around dressy nights in the MDR, because it's still special to us.. YMMV.

You are the one.   I suppose if you are impressed by cauliflower steak or cheese stuffed shells hal should be happy.  That doesn't even cut it for dinner at home.