Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

Just now, cruisegirl1 said:

It is my understanding that the cabin attendant gets about $3–4  pp/day. a day,  just a small portion of the daily gratuity charge. If you are inclined to remove half of the attendants tip it would be about $2/ day.

I don’t have the exact breakdown, but I know it’s been posted on this site.

m

This is what I had before the increase in gratuities 

image.thumb.jpeg.d1e1e06ab8b96e256911d7efbeead6d8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

It is my understanding that the cabin attendant gets about $3–4  pp/day. a day,  just a small portion of the daily gratuity charge. If you are inclined to remove half of the attendants tip it would be about $2/ day.

I don’t have the exact breakdown, but I know it’s been posted on this site.

m

This is old -- from before the increase in gratuities: 

Screenshot 2023-02-19 10.40.13 AM.png

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

Yes, there is.  Revenge at proxy time. Replace these scallywags.😊

Don’t waste your time, last I checked, over 70% of the stock is owned by institutional investors. That means they buy the stock to make money, not a measly obc. Cutting cost means more money, if they don’t lose customers because of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

This is what I had before the increase in gratuities 

image.thumb.jpeg.d1e1e06ab8b96e256911d7efbeead6d8.jpeg

The grats are per person per day, right?  So in using your chart above as an example, would a standard housekeeping steward receive $3.55 pp/pd per room cleaned?  That would be $7.10 per room and at say 30 rooms, comes out to roughly $213 per day.  Am I way off on this as I am truly trying to understand how this works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

@davekathy indicated that the like their bed made, fresh towels and ice twice a day. But if you take the whole sentence in some reasonable context, I concluded that having a bed made twice a day is unusual. Who needs a bed made twice a day?  Same with towels?  Ice, however is definitely something many people need twice a day. Anyway, that’s how I read it. Not that it really matters…sounds like as far as RCL is concerned, the change is a done deal. 

Ask. Don't assume. For clarification we only need our bed made once a day. To be more specific, mornings only. 🙄 

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Ask. Don't assume. For clarification we only need our bed made once a day. To be more specific, mornings only. 🙄 

Well...um... Wow!  I was responding to @little britain who called you out on needing towels (and bed) twice a day and merely suggested you were probably referring to ice.  I didn't care enough to ask.

🙄

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

I sure hope the needy reply to this by going someplace else ASAP so that cruise fares drop for the people who think twice a day is wasteful. 

Please. 

Great idea! Cut the prices, default on the billions of dollars of debt, turn off the lights, and shutdown forever. Cutting the service to one day is the answer?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

I didn’t even want to know why they need the bed making twice a day…!!! Unless they are having a lot of  “mommy and daddy time” 💕 

We have never asked for ice. What is the need for ice? And why twice a day? What am I missing?

Ask don't assume. To be more specific, mornings  only.  🙄 Don't stress over our requests.  Funny to see you are so concerned about what we like. 🤣

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Don’t waste your time, last I checked, over 70% of the stock is owned by institutional investors. That means they buy the stock to make money, not a measly obc. Cutting cost means more money, if they don’t lose customers because of it.

I'm very familiar as to owns most of the stock.  Was merely jesting, however, the company reputation may be damaged as more Paxs go the route of the social media by complaining and affect my investment.  Not worried about the $100 OBC, that is a side perk and would not be heartbroken if they got rid of it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The grats are per person per day, right?  So in using your chart above as an example, would a standard housekeeping steward receive $3.55 pp/pd per room cleaned?  That would be $7.10 per room and at say 30 rooms, comes out to roughly $213 per day.  Am I way off on this as I am truly trying to understand how this works.

In reading the picture, then yes, before the raise in Gratuities each steward was receiving $3.55 per person per day. I don’t think they just do rooms though. I think they have other duties during the day, I could be wrong though. 

We like the room freshened in the morning to make the bed and bring ice and replace any towels we may have used after they were there the night before which would be rare.

But we tend to shower before dinner, don’t mess up the bed at all during the day and prefer the nightly service more because they set the lights, draw the blinds, arrange the cruise compass along with any other papers, etc. 

They usually thank us for keeping our cabin so neat because many are not easy to clean.

So if I have a choice, I’ll straighten my own bed in the morning, which I do anyway, and ask them to come at night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thinking this through: 

- They just raised the cost of daily tips.  

- Now they're lowering the service (for non-suites). 

- How can Royal justify those two choices?  

An easy answer to your question... do people continue to book?  If they continue to fill the ships, then they can justify saving the money.  If they don't fill the ships, then they try to find something of value to lure people back.  It could be better food, twice a day cleaning, or lower prices.

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Great idea! Cut the prices, default on the billions of dollars of debt, turn off the lights, and shutdown forever. Cutting the service to one day is the answer?

Is it THE answer?  No.  Is it PART of the answer?  Possibly.  Time will tell.

40 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Perhaps the reason for the reduced service is because RCCL can't get staff to clean all the cabins twice a day.

M

Also a good possibility.

One service per day Ok…we will take AM..

Result is cabin steward reduction by up to 50%, 170 persons on Oasis Class.

SO RC with less service are you reducing your fares…not the tips to these hard working people, who’s job just got harder…..30 cabins per person now ?

I feel for those using Pullman and sofas as beds…

RC you are losing bookings, as a TA, almost ALL of my clients are not happy with higher prices for less…across the board….

For a few dollars more in total cost, my new bookings include, Viking, Seabourn, Regent and Virgin… not one RC since the first of the year..

At this rate you will have very hard time in moving forward next year, keeping your new and current mega ships booked.

Stay safe all..

Phil

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nelblu said:

Some passengers love to take naps in the afternoon.  Ever heard of Siestas.

The ice that they provide melts pretty quickly.  I see your ID, are you from Britain or Canada as these folks don't believe in ice. Remember one business trip to our location in Toronto and asked for ice for my water and all I got was puzzled looks.🤣

We are old but we don't take, siestas on our trips or at home.  🤣

Edited by davekathy

I wish more people would have the mindset when on vacation "if you want to play, you gotta pay."

As little as a crisp $20 on the first day, with a polite, concise request i.e. "We'd like morning service, but while we are at dinner, you'll be able to refill our ice bucket and see if we need clean towels, won't you? We never remove the daily gratuities, by the way." and you'll be set.  

I strongly suspect the changes are not just about cost-cutting, but also they can't find people who want the cabin steward jobs. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I wish more people would have the mindset when on vacation "if you want to play, you gotta pay."

As little as a crisp $20 with a polite, concise request i.e. "While we are at dinner, you'll be able to fill our ice bucket and see if we need clean towels, won't you? We never remove the daily gratuities, by the way." and you'll be set.  

I strongly suspect the changes are not just about cost-cutting, but also they can't find people who want the cabin steward jobs. 

The problem though, assuming previous posts are correct, is the stewards may not have TIME for the "extra" look in.  Sure, if you're the only one asking out of the 30 odd rooms, maybe.  What if five people ask?  10?  And it's worth it to you to pay and extra $20/day?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The problem though, assuming previous posts are correct, is the stewards may not have TIME for the "extra" look in.  Sure, if you're the only one asking out of the 30 odd rooms, maybe.  What if five people ask?  10?  And it's worth it to you to pay and extra $20/day?  

$20 the first day would do the trick. Not every day. Though I do like to give more during the cruise, if they do give me that little bit of extra service.  When I make the request, if they don't have the time, they can tell me, and I'll make do. But I think they'll find time.

Edited by goldfish65
  • Haha 1