Travel Agent more expensive than booking online

EricaAH

I'm trying to book my first ever cruise. I picked a specific cruise I was interested in before contacting my travel agent (Princess to Alaska). The price my travel agent quoted was $300 more than I could book online direct through Princess' website.

I was really hoping to use a travel agent to make sure I had all my bases covered and for help with insurance, but she basically just told me to take the better deal and book online on my own.

Is this common, or am I somehow comparing apples to oranges? I did confirm that both booking were for a guaranteed inside cabin for single occupancy and included port fees and taxes.

Is there a way to get the better price but still have the help of a travel agent if something goes wrong?

Edited by EricaAH

We have been doing this a lot recently for lots of travel, not just cruises. Sometimes a TA can't get the rates you can get online.  Sometimes it's the other way around.  Just go with it...there is no guarantee of absolute uniformity in every situation. We have had great rates from our TA, other times she can't match what we see on other sites.

• Like 1

First thing that occurred to me is if both the fares include port taxes?  The "brochure" prices advertised by the cruise lines, or at least the mass market lines, does not include them.    You would need to go through the booking process to see the final fare.   Additionally, cabin categories and packages will impact cost.  

There is no reason to not ask the travel agent why there is a difference.   

Bottom line (for me), if everything is apples-to-apples, then I would be booking that cruise directly.  

• Like 1

This is classic if you are booking a less expensive cruise. The agent has a much smaller profit margin which is where the perks come from. Really, from their point of view, they will likely make a very small amount of money on your booking and there is the possibility they will need to spend a lot of time on problems if they arise. It is almost always better to book with the cruise line if you book a less expensive cabin.

• Like 2

Not all travel/cruise agencies are alike :).  Some offer nice discounts and/or On Board Credits while others may even  charge you a fee. That is why we always suggest that folks shop around among a few reputable high volume discount cruise agencies (mostly found online).  K

We book 70-100+ cruise days a year and always do it with our favored cruise agencies (we currently use two).  As a general rule we expect to save 7-10% compared to booking direct with a cruise line.  On some of our bookings we have actually saved thousands of dollars on a single booking by simply choosing the right cruise agency.  

Keep in mind that we are talking about percentage savings.  If you book a 4 day inexpensive cruise for less than $1000 you are going to save a lot of money by shopping around.  On the other hand, if you book a $200,000 World Cruise (these do exist and can even cost more) you might save $15-$20,000 by shopping around

Hank

• Like 1

Been on many cruises over the years. Only once did I use a TA to book a cruise and that was because we had other couples going with us and they wanted a TA they could call if problems arose.  However, before final payment, I just happened to notice on the web a  24 hour $1000 per cabin price drop on our cruise.  I immediately phoned the cruise-line to learn that our TA alone could make those changes.  So I frantically called our TA only to have it go to her voicemail. As she was an independent agent,  anxious hours ensued before she finally got back to me and could get us all the new price since it was (barely) under the 24 hour deadline.  Never again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

It is almost always better to book with the cruise line if you book a less expensive cabin.

I am going to disagree with you on this statement.  We don't book upper end cabins. Pretty much standard balcony if the price is good.  The TA beats direct booking 100% of the time, and believe me we check.   From everything I see, this is not a unique experience.   

22 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Been on many cruises over the years. Only once did I use a TA to book a cruise and that was because we had other couples going with us and they wanted a TA they could call if problems arose.  However, before final payment, I just happened to notice on the web a  24 hour $1000 per cabin price drop on our cruise.  I immediately phoned the cruise-line to learn that our TA alone could make those changes.  So I frantically called our TA only to have it go to her voicemail. As she was an independent agent,  anxious hours ensued before she finally got back to me and could get us all the new price since it was (barely) under the 24 hour deadline.  Never again.

That scenario happened to me, but the agent didn't return our call ontime. "Sorry" was all we got.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I am going to disagree with you on this statement.  We don't book upper end cabins. Pretty much standard balcony if the price is good.  The TA beats direct booking 100% of the time, and believe me we check.   From everything I see, this is not a unique experience.   

You book balconies. The OP booked an inside guarantee. A balcony could be twice to three times the price.

57 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Make sure the online price includes taxes & fee in the total

I have not found  TA prices more than the cruise lines  seems odd

I agree.

OP - In the case of Princess, with 3 cruise packages now, make sure you are pricing the same package.  You don't want to be comparing apples to oranges.

Standard Package

• Princess dining, accommodations and entertainment
  • MedallionClass experience

Plus Package

• Plus Beverage Package (drinks up to $15 each, includes unlimited juice bar)
  • Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)
  • Crew appreciation
  • Premium desserts (2 per day)
  • Fitness classes (2 per cruise)

Premier Package

• Premier Beverage Package (drinks up to $20 each, includes unlimited juice bar)
  • Wi-Fi (up to 4 device per guest)
  • Crew appreciation
  • 2 specialty dining meals per guest
  • Photo package (unlimited digital + 3 prints)
  • Princess Prizes
  • Premium desserts (unlimited)
  • Fitness classes (unlimited)
  • Medallion accessory
  • Reserved production show seating (for production shows only)
Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

You book balconies. The OP booked an inside guarantee. A balcony could be twice to three times the price.

OK, I see that.   However, I still disagree that booking an inside via a TA will cost more than direct booking. Could it happen?  Sure.  Across the board as a generalization?  No way.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Oh no! Your scenario was what I feared would happen to us.. Did you ever utilize the agent again?

I never used any agent again. Many people like to have control over their booking and be able to speak directly to the cruise line. Like many have mentioned, the secret is to get a great agent who really knows the industry and is always available. I haven't found that agent. I'm not opposed to using one, but we tend to book cabins on the less expensive side. We have been able to book insides lately and upgrade to a balcony for as low as $75 for a 12-night Med. cruise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK, I see that.   However, I still disagree that booking an inside via a TA will cost more than direct booking. Could it happen?  Sure.  Across the board as a generalization?  No way.   

I didn't say that booking with an agent costs more. It might usually be slightly less. 

28 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Like many have mentioned, the secret is to get a great agent who really knows the industry and is always available. I haven't found that agent. I'm not opposed to using one, but we tend to book cabins on the less expensive side.

For me, the secret is booking with a multi-person agency. If I can't get my specific agent, I can talk to another one who can deal with any urgent issue, pricing or otherwise.

To be frank, I don't need an agent who knows the industry -- I know it probably better than 90% of agents do after many years of cruising. I am the one who will put together itineraries, watch for price drops, etc. My agent just needs to be able to implement those changes -- and in post-COVID times here is where I see value: often he can get through to the cruise line and has clout (as a large agency) to get those changes made. I don't have to park myself on the phone for an hour or two to do it.

Edit:  And that's also not to say that there aren't times when I do my own booking because the deal is hot and I don't want to wait.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For me, the secret is booking with a multi-person agency. If I can't get my specific agent, I can talk to another one who can deal with any urgent issue, pricing or otherwise.

To be frank, I don't need an agent who knows the industry -- I know it probably better than 90% of agents do after many years of cruising. I am the one who will put together itineraries, watch for price drops, etc. My agent just needs to be able to implement those changes -- and in post-COVID times here is where I see value: often he can get through to the cruise line and has clout (as a large agency) to get those changes made. I don't have to park myself on the phone for an hour or two to do it.

Edit:  And that's also not to say that there aren't times when I do my own booking because the deal is hot and I don't want to wait.

In total agreement.  I hope I meet you on some cruise and you can tell me your agent's name. 

I've never seen a situation where a TA cost more than direct booking. Something seems odd here like they aren't using discounts you apply for or the same package. I would certainly not call them back if they can't be bothered to figure out what's wrong.

My best cruise TA experiences have been what @cruisemom42 does. We use a online TA that sells only cruises and has agents available 24/7 so you can always talk to someone, even if its not your agent. I had a really bad experience recently booking with a specific agent who worked somewhat independently within their agency and won't be doing that again.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I didn't say that booking with an agent costs more. It might usually be slightly less. 

"This is classic if you are booking a less expensive cruise. The agent has a much smaller profit margin which is where the perks come from. Really, from their point of view, they will likely make a very small amount of money on your booking and there is the possibility they will need to spend a lot of time on problems if they arise. It is almost always better to book with the cruise line if you book a less expensive cabin."

If this has nothing to do with the first part of your comment, then why?  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yeah, I don't want to sit on the phone.  Backup resources are important.   If time sensitive, we have always had good luck sending emails if the call goes to voice mail.   We get a pretty quick response.  

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I never used any agent again. Many people like to have control over their booking and be able to speak directly to the cruise line. Like many have mentioned, the secret is to get a great agent who really knows the industry and is always available. I haven't found that agent. I'm not opposed to using one, but we tend to book cabins on the less expensive side. We have been able to book insides lately and upgrade to a balcony for as low as $75 for a 12-night Med. cruise.

Balcony upgrades -- I love it when. that happens.    We used to always book directly.    Earlier last year our TA got us a balcony upgrade at a low cost like yours.   And, there was much happiness!!  

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

"This is classic if you are booking a less expensive cruise. The agent has a much smaller profit margin which is where the perks come from. Really, from their point of view, they will likely make a very small amount of money on your booking and there is the possibility they will need to spend a lot of time on problems if they arise. It is almost always better to book with the cruise line if you book a less expensive cabin."

If this has nothing to do with the first part of your comment, then why?  

The OP's issue was that the agent's offer was more than the cruise line, which I don't think is typical. The issue is: is their minor discount for an inside cabin worth the trade-off?

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, Markanddonna said:

Now that is impressive! Maybe YOU should be a travel agent.