NCL wins the service charge race !

mpk218

While I was looking around for an Alaska cruise next year , I came across this .

My loyalty is beginning to wane ..  ( Dont shoot the messenger )

The prices shown reflect the current service fee for a 7 day cruise for 2 people.

Cruise Line Standard Service Fee Premium Service Fee
Norwegian Cruise Line $280.00 $350.00
Oceania Cruises $252.00 $322.00
Celebrity Cruise Line $245.00 $294.00
Carnival Cruise Line $224.00 $252.00
Holland America Line $224.00 $245.00
Princess Cruises $224.00 $252.00
Royal Caribbean International $224.00 $259.00
Disney Cruise Line $203.00 $217.00
MSC Cruises $196.00 $196.00
Costa Cruise Line $168.00 $168.00
Windstar Cruises $168.00 $168.00
Cunard Cruise Line $161.00 $189.00

This is interesting, but maybe other things are more important (itinerary, reviews, etc.) IMO, the extra service fees are #S but people seem more interested in the sticker price (see airlines). Personally, I don't like the nickel and diming wherever it happens. $30 to pick a seat? Really?

Now, if they would waive or discount fees for the higher tier Latitudes members like airlines do with baggage fees, upgraded seats, etc. that would be a real loyalty benefit!

• Like 2

I figure it this way, minimum 3 meals a day served by your waitstaff plus your room steward, $20 pep person per day for tips is not a lot. Imagine eating out at restaurants on land 3 meals per day, you’re telling me that you would spend $40 in gratuities combined? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I figure it this way, minimum 3 meals a day served by your waitstaff plus your room steward, $20 pep person per day for tips is not a lot. Imagine eating out at restaurants on land 3 meals per day, you’re telling me that you would spend $40 in gratuities combined? 

We think all "help" should be paid appropriately, fairly.  Period.

However, the kitchen staff don't get tips; the laundry staff don't get tips; the engine room crew don't get tips.  They are paid a "fair wage" (whether we all agree it's "fair" is a completely separate issue, unfortunately).

So why can't all of the crew be paid similarly, a "real" wage?

Then, if someone really provides something 'over and above', tips are appropriate, and some people are more generous than others, just like everywhere.

Yes, we feel similarly about waitstaff at restaurants, etc., but it's on cruise ships that this becomes a major issue, more so than most other places.

GC

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

... therefore... compensate them more with DSC. 

Compensate who MSC employees or NCL ? My point was that even though NCL collects $84.00 more per couple in DSC then MSC for a 7 night cruise, I doubt that NCL pays their employees a higher wage that reflects their higher fee. Let's be real DSC is just another for of revenue for all cruiselines. I accept this as part of my cost of doing buisness. 

Edited by NYcruzzer
  • Like 8

I’m not naive enough to think that the fact that NCL is charging more for DSC means that the crew makes more.

just like i don’t believe the fact that NCLs drink package tips are higher means their bartenders make more.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I’m not naive enough to think that the fact that NCL is charging more for DSC means that the crew makes more.

just like i don’t believe the fact that NCLs drink package tips are higher means their bartenders make more.

Well, in that case, if it's not passed along via pay, there *must* be better booze on NCL!

No doubt, "their" Grey Goose squawks louder than the Grey Goose on MSC, right?

😡

The "tips"/"Service Fee" thing is so out of control...

GC

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

What?? That is a cleaning fee for 1 room, nothing else. That is damn near a hotel room in some of these ports. this has nothing to do with food, drinks or anything else. 40 Dollars a day to clean a small room, and they cut the night time turn down out.

• Like 2

If you like NCL, cruise NCL.  For a very long time, I liked NCL.  For those that have cruised for a very long time, decades, gratuities used to be approached differently.  On the last full day of the cruise, envelopes were provided and we the guest would put our tips in the envelopes and hand them out.  At the time, it was the norm and standard.

As the years went by and this is coming from conversations with actual crew members, many guest simply did not provide gratuities to the crew members.  As the story goes, this lead to a literal cut in the pay these hardworking crew members could send to their families.  With the exceptions to the cruise brand that make the gratuity a part of the fare, most mainstream brands began this notion of putting it automatically on our stateroom portfolio.  The cruise brand knew, if their crew was not fairly compensated, the quality of the work would be affected.  That is human nature.  

Those that truly love and understand cruises, have no issue with this approach.  As a matter of fact, it makes it easier for all of us.  On a personal note, after over two years out of work, I would give extra to the crew because we all are so blessed.  The Author of this post was just stating a fact, NCL is the highest it seems at this time to their competitors.  If we don't like that, if we want to do a comparison of overall costs to make a business decision to which cruise line we choose, that is of course our right.  

Many of you have read my OP-ED's, my postings and comments.  You know I have been a fan of NCL especially the NCL Haven.  It is clear, a raise in compensation in todays times is fair and again if you don't think so, make that decision.  What is not fair or reasonable is to lower the quality of the service provided while increasing the costs.  That is unacceptable.  That is what our focus should be.  When I was a kid, bazooka bubble gum was two piece for a penny.  Today it is 5 or 10 cents a piece.  Thinks cost more and that is the way it is.  However if it is not the same quality and the price is higher, I just don't buy Bazooka Bubble Gum.  My money, my choice.

As a group, let's make sure we all get what we pay for and if not, tell any brand that it will affect us doing business with them in the future.  That is the power we have.  Raise the price but don't lower the quality.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 12

Think for a moment, if NCL has been trying hard to recruit AND retain employees, best of the best - raising the DSC and add-on fees, etc. regardless of how & what it is called, without a doubt, NCL's bank accounts and cash flows should be fatter and better ... and, some of the extras bonuses - minus the required administrative fees & indirect costs, paying off the mega loans for the new ship builts, etc. and refinancing their debt loads - should somehow, trickle down to the rank & files, down to deck 0 or the engine rooms.  We haven't really seen a whole lot of happy faces and smiling crews on the decks lately ... and, they are mostly tasked with doing more with less.  You would think, that some of them, should at least feel they are dealt a fair hand with the playing cards, maybe even extra pays for their payroll disbursements.  

Time, time will tell whether the tide is rising for a balanced customer experience onboard.  Stories of the ships running out of the basics are not good reflections of smooth sailings - we aren't talking about computer chips and precious metals.  

Now, am I unrealistic to expect apple juice to be available for breakfast.  How about a banana ?  My rant for the month.  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Now, am I unrealistic to expect apple juice to be available for breakfast. 

And, how soon we forget the great and catastrophic hash brown shortage!!🤣  There were NONE to be found on my October sailing.  Fortunately, they were well stocked on my January sailing. 😎

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

And, how soon we forget the great and catastrophic hash brown shortage!!🤣  There were NONE to be found on my October sailing.  Fortunately, they were well stocked on my January sailing. 😎

We were on Geteway in September and they did not have them back then either. That was upsetting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

I have no problem at all paying a higher service charge as long as they don’t take away services. 

That's what I hate the most. They increase the price, but cut stuff. I am used to sailing Haven and it sounds like it won't affect me as much (having a steward cleaning the room twice a day), but I have heard that they swapped types of steak or serve pork instead of beef. That's unacceptable!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Total price/ship/itinerary are all I look at. 

This.  If NCL can post a super low "sticker" price it will draw attention, especially if they come in under Carnival, Royal, etc.  Never mind that the DSC and other add-ons make the all-in price less compelling.  By the time you realize that, the marketing folks are counting on you being hooked.

So does the fact that NCL has the highest DSC mean it's more costly than, say, Oceania?  Of course not.  But as a higher end line, Oceania doesn't need to hide costs quite as much.  People willing to sail those premium lines aren't concerned about the lowest cost provider.

I would rather see an all-in rate with very few add-ons (something along the lines of FAS+, perhaps.)  But that would make NCL appear to be more costly than other lines which keep the various add-ons out of their base fare.  So I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

What?? That is a cleaning fee for 1 room, nothing else. That is damn near a hotel room in some of these ports. this has nothing to do with food, drinks or anything else. 40 Dollars a day to clean a small room, and they cut the night time turn down out.

Totally false. The $20 per person per day service charge not only is for compensating cabin attendants, but also complimentary restaurant staff and behind - the - scenes personnel:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Totally false. The $20 per person per day service charge not only is for compensating cabin attendants, but also complimentary restaurant staff and behind - the - scenes personnel:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. 

So what you are saying is my 80 dollars a day room charge is for the cleaning peoples salaries? So I don't need to tip them anymore as I am already paying part of their salary. I am already paying gratuities for the restaurant staff when I book the cruise. I do not mind tipping and I tip very well but I don't think I am going to do both or at least not as much anymore after raising the price per person, per day, and cutting part of the service. $560 for a 7 day cruise is a lot of money plus tip.

Edited by Topdog52
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

So what you are saying is my 80 dollars a day room charge is for the cleaning peoples salaries? So I don't need to tip them anymore as I am already paying part of their salary. I am already paying gratuities for the restaurant staff when I book the cruise. I do not mind tipping and I tip very well but I don't think I am going to do both or at least not as much anymore after raising the price per person, per day, and cutting part of the service. $560 for a 7 day cruise is a lot of money plus tip.

$80?  In your first post you said $40 . The service charge is $20 per person per day, so $40 per day total for two passengers. $80 per day if you have four passengers in the room.

Reread my original reply to your post. The service charge is NOT just to fund the pay of stateroom attendants, it also for dining room staff and some other behind-the-scenes support staff. No you are not already totally paying gratuities for complimentary restaurant staff with just your base cruise fare, the service charge funds that. You're only paying for specialty restaurant staff gratuities with your fare if you happen to have a specialty dining package.

Whether you tip in addition to paying the service charge is your choice. I'm not interested in discussing that.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2023 at 8:54 PM, Lakesregion said:

They now only have one time a day room cleaning. but with the raise, passengers no longer need to feel required to add an extra $100 tip for less service.

I was thinking this as well.  At the risk of devolving the thread into yet another tipping conversation, I usually give my room steward $100 assuming service was attentive.  I'm not super demanding; my biggest request is towel animals then some little stuff like clearing out the fridge.  I know others do not tip additional and that's fine too.  Not virtue shaming here 🙂

With the once a day service, will I tip the same?  It depends on how attentive the steward is.  I've had some ninjas who cleaned the room 2x/day but, otherwise, couldn't be found.  I didn't feel too compelled to tip them extra.  But even if my room is made up once a day, if the guy is around and responsive, I'll probably tip at or close to the same level.

The winner here is NCL who can cut staff.  In theory, the individual stewards have a zero-sum here:  They double their rooms but (not quite) halve their service time.  

• Like 4