Please hype me up; Freedom of the Seas

Hey all; 

sorry for the long story. Please feel free to skip, and if you don’t have anything nice or affirming to say, I’d ask that you please don’t write mean messages.

It’s been a hot minute. Doing my best to survive as a chronically ill and disabled person in a world that has forgotten about us is hard…but I’ve finally got medical permission to on on a cruise again, providing I mask whenever possible.

That said, it’s been a comedy of errors. I booked this cruise on Freedom out of Miami with MxCatLady…but they were not able to take this time off at work. No problem; polyamory for the win; switched it to MrCatLady. Then Florida puts for all these hateful anti LGBTQ and anti-trans bills…as a trans man (him) and nonbinary person (me), both queer, we are quite nervous about traveling to the state. In fact, despite his mother and my aunt living there, this is going to be our last trip to the state for a safety (and to be honest, if our flights had been refundable, we might not have even continued along our plan).

I was already anxious over COVID and trans stuff, but was *finally* ready for this. Have a FloMask for the plane, good masks for onboard, Enovid spray, and a personal HEPA filter. Then, the MSU shooting. MrCatLady is a PhD student there, and obviously this has been super traumatic. Then, this massive ice storm. The house is without power, branches knocked down power and cable lines, and even pulled the electricity meter out of the house. Animals are safely staying with a friend, but he doesn’t think he feels like going on the cruise for which we leave Sunday (understandably), especially since power might not even be back by then.

Fine, I will go alone. As an anxious, autistic, disabled person, this felt super stressful, but it’s too late to cancel, plane ticket isn’t refundable and I don’t want to lose all the money. I will likely cancel our CocoCay beach bed, as I won’t have anyone to push the carefully research beach wheelchair to the beach, and no one’s hand to hold to help me into the water, so will pretty much just stay on the ship. 

I came in here to get try excited about it, to assuage my anxiety, and it seems like MDR is a nightmare with the new menus. I am gluten free (celiac) and vegetarian. While service has depended ship to ship, usually folks have bent over backwards to make sure I am not stuck eating garden salads and berries. However, it seems many of my go tos (the cheese plate, asking for them to make a cold soup, whatever the vegetarian Indian option was) are now gone. Yes, I can order the night before, but this makes me so anxious I am going to be seen as a burden and/or get stuck with garden salads all week. WJ seems to have many less options and poor labeling.

I know these are first world problems and I am lucky to even be going…AND if the whole point is to relax and try to recover from burnout, a rough time isn’t going to be worth it. I would love to hear from anyone who has sailed Freedom lately, or had their own comedy of errors, about their experiences and whether it was worth it for them. Would love to hear any and all positive things especially. 

Thanks in advance for your compassion.

cat photos, of course, for tax 💜

0A76B923-5052-4204-90F8-D06A0C03765B.jpeg

13A18B74-BB61-409C-9688-6CB2319EB8CE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can't help you with the questions you have about being on the ship but I can be an affirming and supportive voice, to send you moral and emotional support, and to tell you that you are a worthwhile and valuable human being whose voice brings a great deal of joy to these boards. 

I'm so sorry for these struggles. I genuinely hope that you are able to exist, eat, move and enjoy yourself on your vacation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It may be too late. But if you emailed Special_needs@rccl.com

they would make sure your dinning experience was perfect.   It can’t hurt to shoot them an email now.    
id make sure to visit the MDR right away and talk to them and explain your requests.     And I’m sure you’ll be fine.    Your not the only one that has a special dietary situation.    

and cat pics just to make you smile.  

6ECF9D32-3282-4DEF-899D-ACE7160DF371.jpeg

846EC7D7-3BD2-4028-A6AF-0368BA29631E.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I can't help you with the questions you have about being on the ship but I can be an affirming and supportive voice, to send you moral and emotional support, and to tell you that you are a worthwhile and valuable human being whose voice brings a great deal of joy to these boards. 

I'm so sorry for these struggles. I genuinely hope that you are able to exist, eat, move and enjoy yourself on your vacation.

You are so kind. This made me teary. Thank you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

...just enjoy the cruise...

Assuming I get there. Assuming I am not screamed at by people for masking in public (which has happened). Assuming I don’t have a panic attack or POTS episode en route due to traveling without a PA or partner. Assuming I can safely eat without severe, something that is not always assured. Then yes, I hope I will.

I wish it was a simple as it is for you apparently. I’m glad you don’t have to worry!

• Haha 1

It has been a couple of years since I sailed Freedom, however I thought she was lovely!

I understand what you are describing about feeling uncomfortable in Florida. There are mean people everywhere, but there are far more nice people, including Florida.

Please do ask the staff onboard for as much help as you need, they are there to help and always kind.

Back yourself @CatLadyFemme, you have achieved so much with your career, and you shine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just sailed on Freedom, and we LOVED it.   It's a great ship, and Freedom class are our favourites. 

I can't help you with any of your other questions, but will only say this:  If you search for, and focus on the negative, you will surely find things to stress you out on any cruise. If you go in with an open mind, and a positive attitude, you will enjoy your cruise more. How you react to situations in your daily life will likely be how to react to things on the ship - so only you can make that call. 

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy!! 

• Like 2

Anxiety is a tricky beast to tame. The news isn't typically full of uplifting messages, rude people exist (everywhere), and then there's the own 'battlefield of the mind' for any number of reasons. I have found that focusing on the things that bring peace and calm into my life helps a lot. I try to eliminate, to the best of my ability, the negative things that bring me down. Sometimes doing an "inventory" of how certain things make you feel, will help to know which things to eliminate or take a break from (i.e., social media/watching the news/etc).

There's only so much we can control, at the same time, there's a lot we do control, as far as what we focus on. It's my hope for you that you can meditate on the beautiful ocean, the scenery you will have each day, enjoying not having to cook or clean, and the overall ambiance of just being on a ship at sea. 

Life is full of a lot of hardship, but it's also full of a lot of beauty. I sincerely hope you find your beauty during your trip ❤️
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear about your woes. Your health stress is enough, you should never have any additional stress because people are too narrow-minded to allow people to live and be happy living a life that does nothing to harm them. Just remember, you're going on a cruise. Enjoy the wonderful vacation you're about to have.

As to your food issues, I will say that we sailed on Symphony in January. My wife has many eating issues that she started sorting out too late to contact RCI before the trip. The first night she mentioned her dietary issues to our waiter and by the end of dinner that night the head waiter was over making a  plan. Yes, the plan included her getting the next day's menu and her going over her order with him, but they were so nice and generally concerned that she never felt like a burden. I agree with the person that suggested you go the MDR once you get on the ship and come up with a plan. I'd be amazed if they weren't generally happy to make sure you have the meals and the cruise you deserve.

Feel better and have a wonderful time!

• Like 2

My suggestion to the OP, call Royal and tell them the exact situation you are in and I can almost bet they would let you transfer the Cruise funds to another cruise later on down the road which would be a better time for you.

Also mention your home is without power.(tell them how many days)

Ask for the resolution department, an email to the higher ups at Royal could work also. I'm sure others on here will have some contacts at Royal for you to call or email.

Airline might do the same, carry over the credit until another time.

Good Luck

Edited by Jimbo

I'm sure you probably need the trip, it will probably do a lot of good for you, if you can get past all the humps.  

HOWEVER, especially with ice storm/damage to the home, would insurance apply if you cancel the trip and get your money back?  I get that's not preferable, but going on a trip later with someone who can help you enjoy it more may be the best bet.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and has had difficulty tackling traveling alone, I sympathize.  I have found that given a chance, people are usually helpful and understanding regardless of where they live.  Along with anxiety, I struggle with mobility issues and autoimmune colitis at times.  I love cruising and how healing being at sea is.  When I travel alone, I am uncomfortable in the beginning but always find my strength along the way. The confidence I get from the experience is exhilarating. Good luck and safe travels.    

• Like 2

I have been on Freedom 10 times since last January. In my opinion they have the best crew on any RCI ship I have cruised on recently (in the past year I have sailed on Odyssey, Independence several times, Mariner, Harmony several times and Wonder several times). I don’t think you will have any issue with staff and the service they provide on the ship. The only difference you may notice is the crow demographics. The 3 day weekend cruises tend to be party cruises, although I have never seen nothing out of line, while the 4 day cruises are much more relaxing and on the quiet side compared to the 3 day cruises. 

Wish I could help more, and we are happy we are not in Michigan right now- as far as I can tell, we will lose our fridge. And the shooting up in EL has been tough in A2 as well. 

I really don’t understand why people think it’s their business about other people- masks, who they love, etc. If they would focus on themselves more, maybe they will be more happy instead of lashing out. But I honestly think you will be ok for the short time in FL. 

But one observation I have seen this week on the allure is a veggie option every night, and it’s not a salad. Granted, it’s one dish. So hope there is some new things you will enjoy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Wish I could help more, and we are happy we are not in Michigan right now- as far as I can tell, we will lose our fridge. And the shooting up in EL has been tough in A2 as well. 

I really don’t understand why people think it’s their business about other people- masks, who they love, etc. If they would focus on themselves more, maybe they will be more happy instead of lashing out. But I honestly think you will be ok for the short time in FL. 

But one observation I have seen this week on the allure is a veggie option every night, and it’s not a salad. Granted, it’s one dish. So hope there is some new things you will enjoy. 

The OP should not be worried about Florida.  There may be safety concerns in some areas such as Miami, but none associated with the OPs concerns.  Contrary to what might be reported in the national media, people don’t care how others identify any more or less than anywhere else in the US.  I don’t even know how a random person would know what or how another random person chooses to identify.  I’d be more concerned about how folks drive in Miami.  That would be my biggest safety concern.  Living in Florida, I know many in the LBGT… community and they all seem to be living the same as they have been for years.  Florida is a very diverse state and quite open and full of all kinds in general.  

As far as the ship.  Freedom class is great.  Always loved all three of them.  

If folks say something about another wearing a mask, that’s a reflection of the them.  You certainly can’t control it, and in the end, even if someone says something about it, it’s just words and easily ignored.  There will be folks wearing masks.  It will be a small minority.  Many immune compromised  still wear them and normal people realize this.  Others choose to even when healthy.  You can’t control others, so perhaps some people just have to deal with a comment or two here or there.  I guess you just have to find a way to cope with it if it gives you anxiety.  If I was masking, I’d probably tune anything out about it.   Just do you and let others worry about themselves.  No need to even acknowledge them. 

• Like 4

On 2/24/2023 at 12:49 PM, Toddcan said:

I can't help you with any of your other questions, but will only say this:  If you search for, and focus on the negative, you will surely find things to stress you out on any cruise. If you go in with an open mind, and a positive attitude, you will enjoy your cruise more. How you react to situations in your daily life will likely be how to react to things on the ship - so only you can make that call. 

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy!! 

Very well said. It seems the OP is going with a negative attitude, hopefully she will come back and let us know how it went and go with an open mind. Not to mention, you can’t judge an entire state based on what you hear on a national news network. It is a very diverse and wonderful place. 

• Like 2

Sorry I'm only seeing this today. If you went on the cruise, one suggestion if you're up to it, is to post a mini live on the boards? Many of us have loved reading your reviews over the years--LOVE your outfits, your food pictures, your excursions (esp your sloth preserve and the cheese restaurant you went to in London) and would love to be your remote friends while you are "alone" on your cruise! We'd love to share in your experiences and give support and encouragement when you need it.

If you decided to postpone/cancel, we are all still here for you and will love to cruise with you again another time. Sending supportive hugs!!

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 8:44 PM, CatLadyFemme said:

Hey all;  I would love to hear from anyone who has sailed Freedom lately, or had their own comedy of errors, about their experiences and whether it was worth it for them. Would love to hear any and all positive things especially. 

Here's our live post from the Freedom in September 2021. This was during the restart, so some of the focus of the post was on the COVID protocols in effect at that time. We had a great cruise on a lovely ship. 

• Like 1