Questions for solo cruisers

vswan

4 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

I am sailing solo on the Nieuw Statendam in July.  I prefer to sit by myself for meals; is it possible to get a table for one in the Main Dining Room?  Or will I be placed at a larger table with other guests?  

Thanks (and sorry if this was already answered, I looked through and didn't find it). 

Yes, you may request a table for one at any meal. I like a large table for dinner, but some mornings, I prefer to sit quietly by myself. At breakfast, lunch, or open seating at dinner, they ask if you would like to share. Just say no, there's no pressure to share. For dinner, it's probably easier if you do fixed dining, as tables for two (yours would be a 2-top set for one) are in demand, and people have to wait in line at busy times. I'm not sure about NS, but on many of the HAL ships, there are tables for two along the railing on the upper level. It's great for people-watching while you have dinner. 

And if you want some privacy, HAL's room service is free (except for some upcharge items). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry for your loss, condolences.

I recently met a recent widow onboard.  We met during checkin and during our conversation she mentioned her recent loss and explained that this was the last cruise they had planned together and she decided to go ahead with it.    I think her openness helped ease her journey.  I saw and spoke with her frequently and she seemed to be doing fine.  My observation is that her openness about her circumstance helped her engage.  I admired her courage. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

I am sailing solo on the Nieuw Statendam in July.  I prefer to sit by myself for meals; is it possible to get a table for one in the Main Dining Room?  Or will I be placed at a larger table with other guests?  

Thanks (and sorry if this was already answered, I looked through and didn't find it). 

If you request a table for two, you will be seated by yourself but you might wait a bit longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

As it gets closer to my cruise on May 6th the more worried I get about dining alone. I have Club Orange and it is a smaller dining room. Will I look out of place? Will people look at me with pity?  These are the things that go through my head. 

I think you will  find that the staff in Club Orange will go out of their way to make you welcome and comfortable.  A little" extra" kindness and attention can even come your way.  This is from a group that gives everyone a warm and comfortable experience.  A few smiles from you don't hurt either.

• Like 2

Been there- tables are close together and had lots of chatting with others. The first was on a TA in Oct 2021. Several invited me to join them at other meals. Two couples who had just met each other suggested we get a set table for dinners in Club Orange for the balance of the cruise and that was wonderful. Made real friends and have sailed with them again. 

When I would arrive at Club Orange, I would look around and see if anyone looked familiar, or perhaps friendly, and requested to sit nearby. Staff was great.

Don’t worry- people are so nice on cruise ships. My kids don’t understand but I have done 8 cruises in the year and a half since I lost my DH, and every cruise has helped me. So much better than being home alone. Hoping someday home will feel better but not yet. Good luck to you!

Sue

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

Here's hoping that the moderators notice over 10k views since vswan posted only 6 weeks ago.

Brilliant response.

The OP and others including you and myself have submitted requests to have this thread pinned but whether it is or not it still has an ongoing value to all HAL solo cruisers...Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

As it gets closer to my cruise on May 6th the more worried I get about dining alone. I have Club Orange and it is a smaller dining room. Will I look out of place? Will people look at me with pity?  These are the things that go through my head. 

I think we all worry about that, but @travelers07 is right. People on a cruise are friendly. That said, there will be times when you feel like it's Noah's Ark, all two-by-two, and you're the only solo. Four years later, and it still hits me once in a while. One of the good things about cruising is that there are a lot of other people around, and they are NOT all couples, despite the fact that it sometimes feels that way. 

Do you want to eat alone and worry about how it will look? Or are you concerned about being on your own at dinner? If it's the former, try not to think about it. People won't stare or look at you oddly. Cruisers are used to seeing solos. You won't stand out that way, even if sometimes you may feel you do. 

CO was new the second time I sailed on K'dam. I had expected to have a large table, fixed dining in MDR because I booked my Neptune suite before they started CO (and before DH died). I looked at the CO room and all I could see were 2's and 4's. That was my perception, newly widowed. There are, in fact, large tables. Two, IIRC. I was the only solo at dinner that first night, and I imagined myself having dinner alone every night. After that, I asked to go back to the MDR at a large table, as I had originally booked.  For me, it was the best of both worlds. Solo breakfast in CO, which was excellent. Dinner with some pleasant companions in MDR. 

Back then, I don't think they were selling CO a lot as an add-on. So it was mainly suite people. And suites tend to be booked by couples because the price is so high for a solo. On top of that, there was a lot of talk on CC about CO being great because people could be sure they'd get their table for two. So I had a strong "Noah's Ark" feeling about CO before I even got there.

BUT that was 4 years ago. Now that more people are buying CO, there probably will be more solos in CO and just more people who might want to share. Ask the maitre d' if there are other passengers who want to share a table. And if you're truly uncomfortable, you can default to the MDR and feel less conspicuous. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I have decided that I don't care one whit what the other people think.  I paid my money and if I want to dine solo  (don't say alone as it has some negative feelings) it is my choice.  I find that the staff treats me well.  You and the staff will develop a rhythm that makes your dining time pleasant.  Bring a book, a Kindle or smartphone with you if you want to occupy your between courses time.

I stopped getting a table with folks - I got sick and tired of the "oh, you're so brave", "why not bring a friend, "I could never do this" kind of comments.  

Cruises are a good way to start your vacations solo.  But, then, try to branch out to easy land travels.  I did a month solo through France and Italy last summer and I totally enjoyed myself!  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Rest easy.  I agree with @happywandering CO is very welcoming.  In fact, I was asked if I would like to share.  After eating solo a couple of nights (which was just fine - staff were phenomenal & I did chat a bit with a nearby table), the manager asked a couple whom he thought I would be compatible with if they would like to share before I arrived.  nice evening and a nice couple who invited me to join any time.  So some nights I shared and some nights I was solo.  

On the next segment CC friends were on the cruise and had CO and they asked me to join them.   

That’s one of the advantages of roll calls and meet and greets.  I’ve had the good fortune to meet many wonderful people and crossed paths with some again on other cruises

Most of my breakfasts were solo and I did not feel awkward or out of place.  I am glad you booked CO.  It’s a much nicer dining spot than the MDR and easier to get to “know” people (if you are so inclined).  They treated me very well and I enjoyed it so much I had it booked on the cruise I had to cancel on the N Statendam and booked it again on October’s Rotterdam.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I have decided that I don't care one whit what the other people think.  I paid my money and if I want to dine solo  (don't say alone as it has some negative feelings) it is my choice.  I find that the staff treats me well.  You and the staff will develop a rhythm that makes your dining time pleasant.  Bring a book, a Kindle or smartphone with you if you want to occupy your between courses time.

I stopped getting a table with folks - I got sick and tired of the "oh, you're so brave", "why not bring a friend, "I could never do this" kind of comments.  

Cruises are a good way to start your vacations solo.  But, then, try to branch out to easy land travels.  I did a month solo through France and Italy last summer and I totally enjoyed myself!  

I have been fortunate that I haven't had to deal with that kind of patronizing/pitying comment. People mean well, but that doesn't help. My reply would be "you never know what you can do until you have to do it" or something like that.

I don't know if the ships use any personal info to seat people for fixed dining, but I've often been at a table with other solos, especially on Cunard. On QE in June, we were 3 solos and two couples, which made a nice mix. 

• Like 3

My last cruise on Cunard and it also was my first solo sailing.  Cunard did a wonderful job of putting me with solos at a table for 6.  We all got along great and met for pre dinner drinks or went to the shows after dinner.  It was a great experience for me and made this such an easy transition from being a couple to sailing solo.  You will figure out your likes and go from there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have been fortunate that I haven't had to deal with that kind of patronizing/pitying comment. People mean well, but that doesn't help. My reply would be "you never know what you can do until you have to do it" or something like that.

I don't know if the ships use any personal info to seat people for fixed dining, but I've often been at a table with other solos, especially on Cunard. On QE in June, we were 3 solos and two couples, which made a nice mix. 

It turned me off of cruising for awhile, before any time dining became a thing across the cruiselines.  I started back on NCL and then moved to a few others (HAL this time).  But, I'm not a "formal dining room" kind of person, anyway and prefer getting a nice entree-size salad with my choice of protein in the buffet most of the time now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I have over 30 cruises with at least 1/3rd of those as a solo cruiser. I've been married for 45 years and have 2 children. I love to travel and they couldn't always go when I could, so I went by myself, starting around 1995. Why should I have to deny my travel lust because they couldn't go?

I have eaten in the MDR on ships and I've eaten in the specialty dining venues, all while eating at a solo table. I'm doing exactly what I want to do and I'm having a great time. If people look at me with pity, that says more about them than me. 

By the way, I go camping in our 35ft. Motorhome by myself, drive for days in my car for land trips and have flown across the US for hotel trips too. 

Travel does not have to be shared to be a vacation. 

You can do it!

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 14

You will figure out what works for you regarding meals.  I had to travel a lot during my work life so am used to eating solo in restaurants without conversations between tables. On a cruise ship, however, things are much more relaxed.  Conversations between tables AND “would you like to join us?” invitations are standard.  If you don’t want to talk or join, bring a book.  If you, SMILE!

• Like 6

On 3/1/2023 at 4:22 PM, vswan said:

I understand that most of the time you will be charged for two people in the cabin, even if there is only one. There are occasionally sales which only charge solo, but sounds like those are far and few...

If you want to purchase the HIA, do you pay once since there is only one passenger or do you pay double. Same with Club Orange.

We have not been loyal to one cruise line, but have cruised the most on HAL. I'm only 65, but no party animal. Would you stay with HAL or try something else?

Are there things you would recommend for a solo to do? Book more shore excursions versus doing your own thing, etc.

Do know that I would probably go to the meet and greets. Husband wasn't a joiner, so we didn't participate.

For a little context. Have been sailing primarily in balcony cabins. Enjoy just sitting on my own balcony with a book and cocktail. Don't feel the need to be entertained at all times. Primarily looking to get out of the frigid north to someplace warm. Love to travel and can not see myself at a resort someplace by myself. On a ship there is lots to do and people around.

As for charging, it's not always paying double. It may be 40% or 60% or 70%, whatever. I don't know if there is some sort of breakdown by cruise or cabin type but it's possibly less than double.

As HIA, I don't find that it pays as a solo.  The price difference vs Advantage fare was $800 for one cruise.  That's a lot of drinks, etc. I think I figured I would end up paying 1/2 of the 800 for my needs. But I'm not a big drinker...

I would suggest following the cruise critic roll call for your cruise - and perhaps there are people who are arranging more independent tours.  Join them if you are interested.  Sometimes 1 spouse wants to do it but not the other so it's easier to join as a single.  You may well find another solo to explore independently with.  Excursions are a crap shoot - where are you and what is covered by the excursions?  Is that port safe or easy to walk around? Are you with a small group vs totally solo?

There will be many single women, as least in my experience.  Use open seating for dinner to meet various people + go to the singles/solo luncheons + happy hours.  On the Lido, you will frequently share tables with others so start talking.

Find out if anyone plays cards if that's your thing.  Canasta, etc.

I have also made friends in the theater - sitting in the same area each time (left balcony), and chatting before a show or presentation.  You'll see that many people go to the same area of the theater each time, whether the balcony or other areas, generally not the front rows in my experience.

Women will be more likely to go to the culture presentations and port talks.  Many bring their books, crocheting/knitting with them.  Go early to get seats and you have 15 minutes to make friends.

• Like 1

As a veteran solo cruiser, I'm not sure why you would WANT to eat by yourself.  Ask the hostess for a shared table in the MDR.  Most of the time, you'll be seated FASTER than if you wanted a two-top to yourself.  You will meet a lot of new people.  Some you'll enjoy talking to, others you might not, but even with the bores or know-it-alls, you only need to put up with them for 60-90 minutes, and who knows you might meet some new friends or cruise long acquaintances.

If some night you absolutely want to be alone at dinner, go to Lido or ask for the single table, no one on the ship will give a flying you know what about what you do.

• Like 4