Good screw-top Chardonnay?

Unopened bottles will not spill in your carry on. Nor would I worry about spilling a re-corked bottle in your cabin unless you spill them at home.  I'd recommend carry on what you want to drink and don't worry about how it's sealed. 🍾

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Unopened bottles will not spill in your carry on. Nor would I worry about spilling a re-corked bottle in your cabin unless you spill them at home.  I'd recommend carry on what you want to drink and don't worry about how it's sealed. 🍾

I am thinking about getting an opened bottle upright in a small beverage cooler- which are usually tiny. I don’t drink a whole bottle in one evening- especially when I will have a beverage package when out and about. I haven’t seen this ship’s fridges though. 

52 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I am not a wine snob, drink pretty moderately priced wines, but they are mostly corked. I am thinking that screwtops would be better to carry on for not spilling onboard/ storing. Recommendations? I like my chardonnay pretty dry and/ or creamy-ish.

Two of my favorite Chardonnays are screw top. River Road -Russian River Valley (2019) or Unoaked and Buttercream (2019 & 2020). I always bring screw top wine on a cruise because they are much easier to open, especially if I forget my corkscrew!

• Like 2

More and more Vintners are flirting with the idea of screw top wines for their top end.   I don't think many would be disappointed with screw tops and may find them much more convenient.

Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards, one of  California best Chardonnay brands began screw tops on their top of the line Founders Reserve Chardonnay with the bottling of their 1999 vintage.   Their Founders Reserve was originally only bottle in 3 and 5 Liter bottles for Investors and Donations to Wine Auctions.   With the release of 1999 Screw top they released only 950 bottles through their tasting room and specialty limited supply wine shops and restaurants.

• Like 2

Mrs. XBGuy is a Chardonnay bigot.  She goes for the oaked buttery ones, and two of her favorites are these under screwcap.

IMG_0478.jpg.84c6d77feb0f114fad3da50323178fb5.jpg

• Sonoma-Cutrer Sonoma Coast
  • Ferrari-Carano Sonoma County
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I am not a wine snob, drink pretty moderately priced wines, but they are mostly corked. I am thinking that screwtops would be better to carry on for not spilling onboard/ storing. Recommendations? I like my chardonnay pretty dry and/ or creamy-ish.

Buttercream Chardonnay.  It's right in the name.  😉

Buttercream Chardonnay

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 5:25 PM, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Try Yellow Tail - moderate priced Australian vineyard.  I like their Cabernet, but am tempted by their Shiraz because it comes with a screw cap -- I know they have a Chardonnay -- but prefer reds, so I cannot say how they are topped.

But, seriously -- corkscrews are not that hard to drive and there are lots of recaps which work perfectly well, horizontally as well as vertically.   Go for the wine you prefer, not the closure mechanism.

• Like 2

I've been serving a Castle Rock and a Cupcake Chard here at my Lodge all winter (we do wine & charcuterie every Fri and Sat apres ski) and the guests and owners seem to like it.  Both have screw tops.

You shouldn't have to worry about putting it in the fridge - just have your attendant fill you ice bucket and keep it in there.