Suspicious Death on Carnival Sunshine

Cyn874

14 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

They'll have to wait for Autopsy. Could have many things that aren't "suspicious". Heart Attack, Stroke, Depending on age it could have been a Natural Death. The Media loves to spin Drama.

Age is reported to be 37. While heart attacks and strokes happen at that age they are not very common. Probably why the FBI is investigating. 

• Like 1

Just now, Retiredmedic said:

Age is reported to be 37. While heart attacks and strokes happen at that age they are not very common. Probably why the FBI is investigating. 

Just now, Retiredmedic said:

I didn't see that and you are correct. I also suppose it's considered suspicious until COD is found.

• Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

I don't think it's prudent to speculate on such matters, personally.

Come on this is Cruise Critic, that would never happen here. But my 40 plus years as a paramedic in a large 911 system deaths under certain ages unless known chronic medical issues always cause suspicion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

Come on this is Cruise Critic, that would never happen here. But my 40 plus years as a paramedic in a large 911 system deaths under certain ages unless known chronic medical issues always cause suspicion.

I don't doubt it's suspicious and I agree that an inquiry should be launched. I just don't feel it's my place to speculate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RenoNanaOz said:

They'll have to wait for Autopsy. Could have many things that aren't "suspicious". Heart Attack, Stroke, Depending on age it could have been a Natural Death. The Media loves to spin Drama.

Except i don't think the FBI would be called until after it's been determined it's at least probable it's not a natural death. 

People die on cruise ships all the time... just because of law of averages. But the fbi is generally not called. 

But we're not going to get any info unless there's an arrest or they need the public's help finding a suspect. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Except i don't think the FBI would be called until after it's been determined it's at least probable it's not a natural death. 

People die on cruise ships all the time... just because of law of averages. But the fbi is generally not called. 

But we're not going to get any info unless there's an arrest or they need the public's help finding a suspect. 

The FBI would be called in to preserve any evidence (if any) found in the cabin. Especially for a suspicious death. The ship isn't going to be taken out of service. If they wait until the Bahamas makes a ruling it could be way too late.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

The FBI would be called in to preserve any evidence (if any) found in the cabin. Especially for a suspicious death. The ship isn't going to be taken out of service. If they wait until the Bahamas makes a ruling it could be way too late.

But... only if there is reason to believe there is evidence. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

Seems to be happening more and more - Hope the FBI gets to the bottom of these young people just dropping 

• Thanks 1

I was in Nassau with the Sunshine last week while cruising on Royal Caribbean's Anthem Of The Seas.  I didn't see any police activity, even while in The North Star, the ship's observation tower.  In all fairness, the Sunrise was parked in between us and the Sunshine.

6 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

It's a bit unnerving to me because I'm sailing on the Sunshine in May.

I'm sailing on the Sunshine next Monday!  

I'm sorry for the family.  That's a tragic loss.  

I hate that it happened, but these ships carry 2000-5000 passengers.  It only stands to reason that there will be natural deaths once in a great while.  None of us are promised tomorrow.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, clackey said:

I hate that it happened, but these ships carry 2000-5000 passengers.  It only stands to reason that there will be natural deaths once in a great while.  None of us are promised tomorrow.

Exactly, people die virtually every minute. This death just happens to be on a ship that some of us have been on.

• Like 3

I don't know what happens in the world of maritime law and cruise ships. But in the real world on land - the coroner would be called for any death; and if it can't be explained by pre-existing medical history; they send an investigator to collect the body and examine the scene. Law enforcement investigators would only be called it if they found something that made them suspect this was a homicide or suicide. And since they are labeling it as a suspicious death, its a very good bet that it wasn't natural causes. 

• Like 4

The comment in the article that says "Officials say the passenger's death was an isolated incident, and that there was no other threat to any other passengers." tells me they know what happened and what is going on.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

It's a bit unnerving to me because I'm sailing on the Sunshine in May.

Since I doubt very strongly the ship itself had anything to do with the subject's death, there is nothing to be concerned about.  Unless you believe in ghosts and think it is likely to haunt you in this case.  btw, someone has probably died near any particular location you happen to be at any given time, at some point in the past...

The subject could have died "unnaturally" from a number of things (I won't list them all here), but the ship (by itself) is not one of them.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

The FBI would be the jurisdiction on the case.  Anytime someone dies somewhere other than a hospital police investigate, even if it's not suspicious.  If you are 90 years old and die at home the police will show up.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wesorbeth said:

The FBI would be the jurisdiction on the case.  Anytime someone dies somewhere other than a hospital police investigate, even if it's not suspicious.  If you are 90 years old and die at home the police will show up.  

I didn't know that. Interesting!