Euros, Pounds Sterling or credit card better

Will be on Apex 22 April TA 15 nights ending with 2 days in Amsterdam. I was hoping to bring minimal cash and plan on using Visa and let bank do conversion.  Two ports are in the UK and didn't want to be left with British pounds as don't know when I'll use again. My question is can I pay for small items such as lunch out, taxi fares, canal excursion tickets by credit card?  Several years ago in Amsterdam I took public transport to the airport and it was debit card only and I didn't bring one. 

7 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Will be on Apex 22 April TA 15 nights ending with 2 days in Amsterdam. I was hoping to bring minimal cash and plan on using Visa and let bank do conversion.  Two ports are in the UK and didn't want to be left with British pounds as don't know when I'll use again. My question is can I pay for small items such as lunch out, taxi fares, canal excursion tickets by credit card?  Several years ago in Amsterdam I took public transport to the airport and it was debit card only and I didn't bring one. 

All I can say is that I have used to travel to Amsterdam on business quite frequently and never bothered with getting cash (Euros).  Everything was credit card and mobile pay friendly.  

No experience with the UK though which is your real question.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

On Apex TA last year , I just used a CC , one stop was in the UK 

• Thanks 1

You are fine with your credit card in the UK. 

I spend a couple of months a year there and for most things just using the tap option on my credit card. This includes small buys, bus fares, lunches and sandwich shops. 

As you are in Canada you probably don’t have a credit card that requires a signature which is good as the UK and most of Europe are much more pin and chip oriented. 

Tipping in pubs, the odd £ or 2 is one of the only times I use actual cash. (I’ll pay by card then throw cash in the tip jar. Not a % tip like N America). 

Cheers, h. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I live in UK and have used a credit card almost exclusively in the past 3 years, as I haven’t wanted to handle money in COVID times.

Shop keepers encourage it, in fact there were notices to say that they no longer accept cash. I also tell the waiter to add a small amount for a tip to the final total, so no need for cash.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Thanks 1

You should be ok with the occasional need for a small amount for incidentals (e.g. a coin operated toilet)

Last year when in the UK and Europe I used my credit card (utilizing Apple Pay) at Phone booths, parking meters, busses, coffee shops etc.    I even bought a hotdog at a street vendor using a credit card. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the UK you will be fine without cash. I just use Apple Pay on my mobile and do not carry wallet or cash.

Tip a barman for bar service in a UK pub …. no. Tip a waiter who delivers food to you in the pub …. yes.

As others have said, card payments are now encouraged in most places in the UK. The only exception is some taxis - if you pick up one from the street or a rank, double check they take card payments before you get in. I’ve had a couple of drivers tell me recently they only accept cash. But the majority take cards.  Uber is also widely available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middlehaitch said:

You are fine with your credit card in the UK. 

I spend a couple of months a year there and for most things just using the tap option on my credit card. This includes small buys, bus fares, lunches and sandwich shops. 

As you are in Canada you probably don’t have a credit card that requires a signature which is good as the UK and most of Europe are much more pin and chip oriented. 

Tipping in pubs, the odd £ or 2 is one of the only times I use actual cash. (I’ll pay by card then throw cash in the tip jar. Not a % tip like N America). 

Cheers, h. 

For our tour in Dorset operator wants payment in cash at start of tour but then as you say there's lunches some spending money etc and I can use Visa for those purchases.  I think the UK is the only country that has not converted to the euro.  So many things to think of and the time is coming near.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

I live in UK and have used a credit card almost exclusively in the past 3 years, as I haven’t wanted to handle money in COVID times.

Shop keepers encourage it, in fact there were notices to say that they no longer accept cash. I also tell the waiter to add a small amount for a tip to the final total, so no need for cash.

Good to know. Thanks 

Double check when you go to pay with your card.  It will often ask if you want to pay in EUR or GBP or your own currency (CAD).  Always select EUR or GBP.  If you select CAD - the merchant's bank will do the conversion for you and add a fee.  Your own card/bank will do the conversion at a favorable time - so select EUR/GBP if offered.  Also check your credit cards - many charge no foreign conversion fee - if you have one of those - be sure that's the one you use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ehall said:

Double check when you go to pay with your card.  It will often ask if you want to pay in EUR or GBP or your own currency (CAD).  Always select EUR or GBP.  If you select CAD - the merchant's bank will do the conversion for you and add a fee.  Your own card/bank will do the conversion at a favorable time - so select EUR/GBP if offered.  Also check your credit cards - many charge no foreign conversion fee - if you have one of those - be sure that's the one you use.

Thank you. I actually just applied for one with no FX fee so should get approved soon hopefully 

As mentioned, you should have very little to no trouble not using cash in UK or EU.  Some friends of ours happened to have what we believe is the one place in London that only takes cash (a coffee shop, of all places).  Everywhere else was just tap the card.

If you are looking to do Amsterdam on your own, I highly recommend checking the Amsterdam City Card.  A lot of cities in Europe do a "city card."  If nothing else, it gets you access to public transportation and a number of museums you may very well want to see, and it might be a great deal.

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/tickets/i-amsterdam-city-card

drakes2 - the only time we used cash for our last trip to Europe (3 weeks) was for a pay toilet.  Even taxis took cards.

Use an ATM at the cruise ship terminal to get the cash for your tour.  

As said purchase in the local currency.   If you have a few £ left over spend them in Southampton or they will accept them in Leharve or Bruges or Amsterdam. 

Our problem was getting coins worth under $1USD for a toilet!

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

To add, how about when in Italy, Greek Island’s, and Spain? We’re on Reflection in Oct for that and then TA back to FLL. 

UK resident here, I'm cashless.

You might find more businesses in rural parts of the country are cash only, but thanks to contract-free contactless payment services most businesses now prefer card.

You can make contactless payments of up to £100 in most businesses now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

To add, how about when in Italy, Greek Island’s, and Spain? We’re on Reflection in Oct for that and then TA back to FLL. 

Again, absolutely no problem now to pay by card for everything. 

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

drakes2 - the only time we used cash for our last trip to Europe (3 weeks) was for a pay toilet.  Even taxis took cards.

Use an ATM at the cruise ship terminal to get the cash for your tour.  

As said purchase in the local currency.   If you have a few £ left over spend them in Southampton or they will accept them in Leharve or Bruges or Amsterdam. 

Our problem was getting coins worth under $1USD for a toilet!

I didn't know that I could use £ in Bruges or Amsterdam.  If I have left over could the crew members exchange or use when they get off the ship?

47 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I didn't know that I could use £ in Bruges or Amsterdam.  If I have left over could the crew members exchange or use when they get off the ship?

Shop owners in Belguim and the Netherlands are used to lots of Brits and Americans.  Many will accept £ or $.  Fewer  $Cdn.  You indeed could give you crew members.  Again only exchange enough to pay for your tour.  Will they not accept a credit card?

Our problem has been coins for toilets.  Finally learned to ask a shop.owner for a few coins when making a purchase.  They will know and HAVE the required coin.

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Shop owners in Belguim and the Netherlands are used to lots of Brits and Americans.  Many will accept £ or $.  Fewer  $Cdn.  You indeed could give you crew members.  Again only exchange enough to pay for your tour.  Will they not accept a credit card?

Our problem has been coins for toilets.  Finally learned to ask a shop.owner for a few coins when making a purchase.  They will know and HAVE the required coin.

I wasn't even aware you needed coins for bathroom.  I plan to use a credit card but want to have cash on hand in case a vendor does not accept credit which is doubtful but don't want to get stuck. I haven't traveled to the UK since 1973 and don't know if I will return after this trip. Euros is not an issue as I give it to  the Grandkids in Amsterdam.

13 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Same as all currencies anywhere in the world, if a vendor accepts foreign money it's almost-always at a very poor exchange rate. Unless this is the last cruise of the ship's season in Europe, best to give left-over  £ or € to the crew.

Take at least two cards in case one is compromised or gets jammed in an un-manned machine or simply stops working for whatever reason.

And altho most outlets accept Visa and M/C, fewer accept Amex or D/C.

It's always wise to have at least a few dollars-worth of  local currency for those outlets which don't accept cards - some market stalls, ice-cream vans, buses, taxis, etc

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Call me old fashioned, but I would always have a small amount of GBP for small purchases just in case certain vendors either do not take cash, or their card machine is not working and they can only take cash at the time you try to buy something.  Some also have a minimum spend requirement for them to accept cards (not strictly allowed but they do it anyway).

59 minutes ago, kevey said:

Some also have a minimum spend requirement for them to accept cards (not strictly allowed but they do it anyway).

This is now very rare. Part of the culture change in moving away from cash to contactless cards was removing the inhibition (on both sides of the counter) against tapping for tiny amounts - even just for a few pence.

49 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

This is now very rare. Part of the culture change in moving away from cash to contactless cards was removing the inhibition (on both sides of the counter) against tapping for tiny amounts - even just for a few pence.

Love just pulling out the phone to tap to pay 

• Like 1