Are the jacuzzi bathtubs in suites a good idea?

What's your opinion on the jacuzzi-style bathtubs in suites?

I just finished a cruise on the Magic in my first (and likely only, because I'm cheap) suite. It had a jacuzzi bathtub, as presumably do the other Dream class ship's suites, and perhaps other classes as well. I never even considered using the jacuzzi.  It's only fit for one average cruiser sized person. And it's harder to climb in and out of, which didn't present a problem for us, but considering how many elderly cruisers there are I could see it being an issue. I'd have rather had a larger that standard cabin sized shower.

Do you use the hot tub function or would you be just as happy with a shower?

Personally, I'm not a fan.  I'm a shorty and getting in and out is difficult and the distance back into the bathroom is very deep for me.  I've learned how to work around it but I suspect some people have an issue.  Plus, I'm not interested in taking a bath on a cruise.  I wanna get in and out and enjoy the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I pass on these kinds of tubs when traveling because I'm not confident they get cleaned and maintained properly and thoroughly on a regular basis. The junk I've seen come out of jetted tubs before during a regular cycle is 🤢

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mic101680 said:

Personally, I pass on these kinds of tubs when traveling because I'm not confident they get cleaned and maintained properly and thoroughly on a regular basis. The junk I've seen come out of jetted tubs before during a regular cycle is 🤢

Trust but verify

61HA7YDdGEL._AC_SL1233_.jpg

• Like 1

When we first started cruising on Carnival we booked suites. After a few of those we switched to balcony rooms mainly because we got tired of hitting our shins on those tubs. We found we could comfortably fit in the balcony rooms and have stayed with them since.

As for preference. I prefer showers but my wife likes a long soak in a tub. But she had no use for those Jacuzzi-style bathtubs because they are too small for a long, comfortable, relaxing soak.

Perhaps worst of all is the jets are too high to blow bubbles up your...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would never get in a hotel or rented room jacuzzi tub. They are so disgusting. If I had enough time to sanitize properly, maybe. However, that requires great ventilation and time. Both of which are not available on a typical sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will never get in the public hot tubs on board a cruise ship.  Gross, luke-warm people soup.  The jetted bath tubs in our Suites, however, I feel OK with, but only after I run a sanitizing cycle with the bleach tablets I bring from home for this purpose.  I have seen too much funk, filth, and trash left behind from previous guests in too many of our Carnival cabins over the years to trust that the Room Stewards are actually doing the sanitizing of the tub that is necessary every time.  Once I have deemed the tub "clean," it is one of my DH's favourite parts of booking Suites.  He takes his beer and his Room Service PB&J and relaxes in the tub for a couple hours at a time.🤪  If they removed the jetted tubs from the Suites, DH might not let me book them anymore and we'd have to go back to Balconies.😨

🤣

As for me, I don't bathe.  I shower.  But I prefer the tub with shower rather than just a shower.  Also, the jetted tub was a fun 'vacation bath' for my DDs when they were little.  They'd take their Barbies in there and play in the tub for hours.😄

• Like 1

DH likes them and has no issue with using one if available in a suite on an older suite cabin (especially after an active day in port).  As mentioned previously the newer ship suites are fitted with a nice shower with plenty of room and no curtain, my preferred choice.

Edited by Drazil65

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

USPH VSP requires that in cabin whirlpool tubs be disinfected either between occupancies or weekly, whichever is less, by a 10ppm chlorine solution for 60 minutes.

That probably explains why they're replacing them with standard tubs as time goes on. Too much work for their ever-decreasing cabin steward crew.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

As for me, I don't bathe.  I shower.  But I prefer the tub with shower rather than just a shower.  Also, the jetted tub was a fun 'vacation bath' for my DDs when they were little.  They'd take their Barbies in there and play in the tub for hours.😄

I like a shower as well!  We were upsold to a suite and my youngest DD (10 at the time) loooooved the jetted tub and required a bath almost everyday🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

USPH VSP requires that in cabin whirlpool tubs be disinfected either between occupancies or weekly, whichever is less, by a 10ppm chlorine solution for 60 minutes.

Wow. I wonder if that actually happens? A cabin steward covering a row of suites would have to have them all running almost immediately after one guest vacates to have them ready for the next suite guests, who board first and get immediate access to their suite. Seems like a big ask.

I guess they do have at least 2 hours if the debarking guests have to be out by 8 am and the embarking guest aren't likely to be on board before 10 at the earliest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Wow. I wonder if that actually happens?

Well, records have to be kept, and the USPH looks at the records and the tubs themselves when they do inspections.  Several layers of supervision would have to cover up any lack of compliance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Wow. I wonder if that actually happens? A cabin steward covering a row of suites would have to have them all running almost immediately after one guest vacates to have them ready for the next suite guests, who board first and get immediate access to their suite. Seems like a big ask.

I guess they do have at least 2 hours if the debarking guests have to be out by 8 am and the embarking guest aren't likely to be on board before 10 at the earliest.

I think they wipe with rags and bleach and run jets to get out any junk.  They may fill the tub, add the solution, and run the jets for 60 minutes while cleaning other non hottub suites.  

We've only stayed in one suite so far and it was nice being able to soak in a tub. We don't have a full size tub at home so being able to soak in one is a plus. We're in our second suite in April so we will see. 

23 hours ago, hard_eight said:

The ones in the Owners suites on the fantasy class were very nice. The others in the regular suites...no thanks. Tub pic is blurry 😞IMG_20160325_155459159.thumb.jpg.c85970c233be369cafbadfbaa3e54013.jpgIMG_20160325_155509631.thumb.jpg.73dc9360cce05e704de83c2c960751ef.jpg

We've been in those suites perhaps 10 times (before and after renovations) never tried the tubs!

Though, the tubs were even less inviting in their original version - and had probably hosted more than one "tub event" over the years.

DSC02904-L.jpg

Over the years, we've witnessed plenty of crazy things looking out from the cabin. 🙂

Owner's%20Suite%20106-L.jpg

Tom

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We've been in those suites perhaps 10 times (before and after renovations) never tried the tubs!

Though, the tubs were even less inviting in their original version - and had probably hosted more than one "tub event" over the years.

DSC02904-L.jpg

Over the years, we've witnessed plenty of crazy things looking out from the cabin. 🙂

Owner's%20Suite%20106-L.jpg

Tom

Was that pic of the pool from the Owner's Suite?  Hidden room that is huge?

17 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Was that pic of the pool from the Owner's Suite?  Hidden room that is huge?

Yep - here's a shot from the outside. Cheryl's on the balcony (small/over lifeboat, but still!). The 6 windows next to her are in the living room area, the next 5 are for the bedroom.

Owner's%20Suite%20042-L.jpg

On the emergency info plate on the door, they even had the location of the furnishings in there. 🙂

Owner's%20Suite%20039-L.jpg

Back in the day (pre-high speed WiFi) I brought along my Sirius Starmate, and had to find a good place for the antenna. What better place than run it up onto the railing of the jogging track above? lol  😄 

Owner's%20Suite%20074-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tom-n-Cheryl on either Sensation or Fascination, we met a nice couple who offered to give us a tour of their Owner's Suite.  It was awesome and felt like a secret even though, as the pic with Cheryl shows, it's out in plain sight.  What a treat and I'm glad we could see it in person back in 2008 (I think).😄

• Like 1

The only time I have gotten in one was when we were on the second sailing of the Mardi Gras because I figured it was new enough it probably didn't have nastiness in it yet.  Otherwise, I am too grossed out.  I think they keep the chlorine levels high in the public hot tubs, but I am not convinced the ones in the rooms get cleaned regularly. 

• Like 1