Next Noordam Refurbishment

Kamfish642

12 hours ago, Kiwifan56 said:

Yes. All the books in the Cafe area were basically reference books which needed to be returned but there were maybe three bays of novels across the walkway. Mostly fictional but there were a few non fictional too. There were a few in other languages which is not surprising given the international clientele. There were certain a lot more after our 35 day cruise.

Cheers! Don’t see that many Kiwis here but we aren’t known for waving the flag that much eh? 😀

@Kiwifan56  Thank you for your reply.

Will take some books to read and leave on the swap shelf.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, Kamfish642 said:

Looking into the future at an April 2025 cruise on the Noordam around Japan; however, I'm somewhat concerned over the material condition of the vessel built in 2006 and last refurbished in 2017 (I believe).  Does anyone know where I can find if the Noordam is scheduled for a further refurbishment prior to April 2025.

We are traveling on the Noordam in a week and can certainly update you after, however I did find that she was updated late 2019 and again in Feb 2022. Hope this helps. We were on the Westerdam last fall and found that she was in excellent form. HAL takes very good care of their ships. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Noordam. This ship definitely needs an overhaul. In our cabin we had several issues; balcony door wouldn’t open, Luke warm water in the shower and sink, bathroom flooded with vile smelling water during a stormy night and the hallway door was broken. However HAL did fix all the issues, although it took over a week to get the balcony door fixed. They needed a new cylinder for the key. The bed was rock hard but they did bring me an egg crate topper which did help a bit.

On deck 2 near the Rolling Stone Lounge there was a permanent sewage smell, which I was told has been an ongoing issue. Apparently it won’t be fixed until the ship goes into dry dock in December or January in Singapore I believe. The ship is showing her age for sure although the staff do try really hard to keep her looking her best. The pools need to be be retiled with new decking all around. They did have newer looking deck chairs though. The dining room did have new upholstery on the chairs, which was nice and most of the public venues were quite presentable although a bit dated. I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

On Noordam right now, no issues or smells at all. She like her Vista sisters did have more flamboyant decor when first introduced,but it has been immensely softened over time.

Excellent cruise so far. She is an older ship, some built ins cannot be changed. Know this before you go, if decor is a deal breaker.  Area in the former Lincoln Center Explorers Lounge is partitioned off with construction sign saying improvements are coming. Unknown right now what that means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpnr said:

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Noordam. This ship definitely needs an overhaul. In our cabin we had several issues; balcony door wouldn’t open, Luke warm water in the shower and sink, bathroom flooded with vile smelling water during a stormy night and the hallway door was broken. However HAL did fix all the issues, although it took over a week to get the balcony door fixed. They needed a new cylinder for the key. The bed was rock hard but they did bring me an egg crate topper which did help a bit.

On deck 2 near the Rolling Stone Lounge there was a permanent sewage smell, which I was told has been an ongoing issue. Apparently it won’t be fixed until the ship goes into dry dock in December or January in Singapore I believe. The ship is showing her age for sure although the staff do try really hard to keep her looking her best. The pools need to be be retiled with new decking all around. They did have newer looking deck chairs though. The dining room did have new upholstery on the chairs, which was nice and most of the public venues were quite presentable although a bit dated. I hope this helps. 

Not to discount your post as I do believe that every cruiser has different experiences which lead to different opinions and perspectives…. Also having spent two weeks onboard in August..

In MY opinion the Noordam is an older ship with an overall darker colour palette if compared to say the Nieuw Amsterdam. In past refurbishments certain areas have been re-done or created new, which means there can be a bit of a mish-mash. The Pinnacle Grill and the Billboard Bar area are shockingly modern. Other areas still have the traditional decor. The Crows Nest is somewhere in the middle. 

Re the Rolling Stone Lounge - we quite literally spent part of all fourteen nights there, and did not notice  any sewage smell - again - my opinion. The pools, didn’t really notice because other than a few children there was nobody in them. Overall, the ship was beautifully maintained and spotless. The only thing that I did notice - and commented to my companions about - was that some of the wallpaper on the starboard side of the Ocean Bar annex was bubbling at the seams and needed to be replaced.

Where our opinions differ is the cabin - I did have great stewards and it was spotless. As for the mattress - Sweet Jesus - I could have spent all fourteen days just lying in bed - I never wanted to get out. Combined with the great linens and pillows - reason enough to book a HAL cruise. I do agree though, that the hot water could have been hotter.

Again - not to discount your experience / opinions - but these are mine. Ask all 2000 passengers on my sailing (or yours) and you will get 2000 different opinions.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SwissMyst said:

She like her Vista sisters did have more flamboyant decor when first introduced,but it has been immensely softened over time.

Strange, I don't remember her that way at all. I was aboard to visit a few days before she entered US service, then again for her third cruise. I remember her as being a lot less flamboyant than her Zuiderdam sister, and with colors and decor that were relaxed. 

What are you remembering that I am not? 

• Thanks 1

Mystery construction zone blocked off in Explorers Lounge behind tall walls. “Library”. The one word answer from one of the construction workers.

There are shelves with books already in this area, but the part of this area that previously had many flat tables is the area under going renovations.

• Thanks 1

Deck 8 Vista Suite cabins have been refurbished sometime in recent past.

Bathrooms new zigzag tile, great lighting. Bath tub, separate shower, double sinks, large center drawer, shelves underneath.

Cabin colors are grey, neutral, hint of lavender geometric patterned carpet, white neutral nubby sofa flecked with grey, pops of black flecked cushions, smoky pale lavender curtains, patterned sheers, neutral ivory grass cloth pattered wall paper, mahogany color framed large TV screen, dark bronze framer oval clear glass coffee table.  Colors are a good match for the older fixed blond wood color cabinetry, topped now with new faux marble white counter tops.

Verandah. Two lounger chairs with separate foot rests, two side chairs, one medium size side table. Cushions are pale gray, cream and pale ochre stripes. 

Overall look very pleasing, freshened and more contemporary. Yes, walls can hold magnets.

• Thanks 1

HAL and CCL are in a tough spot.  It costs lots of capital to do wholescale upgrades.  I think the R class ship cabins were partially updated when COVID hit, but I'm not sure those upgrades were ever completed below the highest category oceanview rooms.  Now, HAL and CCL much choose to pay down debt, or make improvements to their existing products.  I think we will see one cycle of drydocks where maintenance its key (I dont think much heavy maintenance was done during covid) before any significant refurbishments and new venues - and that will likely be brought on by competitors upgrading their older ships, and accordingly, raising the (lowest) bar.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, jpnr said:

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Noordam... The bed was rock hard but they did bring me an egg crate topper which did help a bit.

The problem with these posts is that they are extremely subjective.  I don't doubt that, for you, the bed was too hard and the topper helped a bit.  On the other hand, I spent 34 days on Noordam and the bed was the best I've been on in my 60+ years of life.  I'm looking forward to another cruise on her in November.

As I tell others, this is my opinion and your mileage may vary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t mean to sound negative with my pov but after I spent 51 days on the Westerdam last fall. I felt there was a big difference between the two ships and this was before she went into dry dock. From what I understand only the suites have been upgraded on the Noordam, so we definitely did not have a new mattress. We only book verandah cabins, so we can afford to cruise on longer voyages more often. We just felt that basic maintenance was lacking on this ship. I appreciate the company has had a severe setback in revenue and decor will not score high on the priority list but maintenance is a must. There have been so many cutbacks. Again I will praise the serving staff as they are top notch, we have established wonderful relationships with some of them and look forward to reuniting on another dam ship.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:06 AM, SwissMyst said:

Mystery construction zone blocked off in Explorers Lounge behind tall walls. “Library”. The one word answer from one of the construction workers.

There are shelves with books already in this area, but the part of this area that previously had many flat tables is the area under going renovations.

This would make sense - after reflecting on your post, this is truly an ambiguous area - the Explorations Cafe is just the counter with the small seating area - then there are the bookshelves, the various meeting rooms, and the area devoted to arts and crafts. I passed through here numerous times daily as my cabin was in the forward section - so I used that staircase. The area could definitely use a revamp to make it more of a cohesive general purpose lounge area.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Just got off the Noordam on Sunday, the new library is now open on deck 3 and it's lovely.  The rest of the ship, not so much.  I've been on many of the HAL ships and this was the least of them.

I 100% agree.  I assumed the ship was heading to dry dock after our journey and was surprised to hear it was next going transoceanic.  Good news - we saw Sunday what looked like Starlink installation 

Just off three weeks on the Noordam. Ship was lovely throughout and in excellent condition. Some scuffs in veryisolated places, appropriate for next dry dock repair.  Deck 8 Signature cabins were beautiful; don't know how far other cabin renovations affected other decks.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
44 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Bumping an old thread for any current updates on Noordam. Any large-scale drydockings or refurbishments planned in the next two years? 

@VMax1700  updates or adds a new thread monthly. Here is the latest I could find.  It should be useful to you

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982749-january-2024-update-hal-dry-docks-charters-and-groups-onboard/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@VMax1700  updates or adds a new thread monthly. Here is the latest I could find.  It should be useful to you

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982749-ja

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2994964-march-2024-update-hal-dry-docks-charters-groups-onboard/

Edited by boeckli
  • Thanks 1

Am pleased that the Noordam will be  going to dry dock later this year, we sailed on her for 30 days, disembarking on March  23rd .  On several occasions there were buckets in hallways to collect dripping water.  One morning entered the Neptune Lounge to see 6 (Six) buckets to catch drips from above.  Later in the cruise water was dripping in the hallway near our stateroom, at one stage water slowly running down the artwork on the wall.  Problems appeared to be dealt with promptly.

Last dry dock was October 2019--I was on the first sailing after it, which went from Vancouver to Australia. I remember the new TV in my room didn't work and I didn't have hot water the entire time until I got off in Hawaii. It also had to spend an hour or so doing circles outside Vancouver, to get its gyrocompass or something synchronized.