Shower Curtain hack

new2cruise

Worked with gas laws in my career.

The curtain is "attacking you" because the hot water heats the air which then rises and goes over the top of the curtain. The air must be replaced, so the shower curtain is drawn in. 

Clothes pin it down, leave an air gap in the side of the curtain so air can get in, or take a colder shower. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

The curtain is "attacking you" because the hot water heats the air which then rises and goes over the top of the curtain. The air must be replaced, so the shower curtain is drawn in. 

Clothes pin it down, leave an air gap in the side of the curtain so air can get in, or take a colder shower. 

Based on your knowledge would this type of curtain with a mesh top help to minimize that clinging? I saw this type beginning on Sky & also on Discovery. Being new they also were long enough to reach the shower’s floor.

image.jpeg.862399c6385fb22809961b35b9655e7c.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

You can put large binder clips on the bottom (which I did for a couple of cruises) or use the simple method I learned here on CC long ago. Simply get the bottom of the curtain wet and you can easily get it to stick to the "lip" of the shower stall. It works well and I never have a problem with the curtain.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on your knowledge would this type of curtain with a mesh top help to minimize that clinging? I saw this type beginning on Sky & also on Discovery.

What was your experience on the Sky and Discovery? Hope it worked for you.

We always book mini suites now and we pull the shower curtain halfway across the tub and secure the curtain to the inside side wall of the tub with waterproof tape.  Lasts the entire cruise and removes easily without leaving a mark.

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We always book mini suites now and we pull the shower curtain halfway across the tub and secure the curtain to the inside side wall of the tub with waterproof tape.  Lasts the entire cruise and removes easily without leaving a mark.

We were on the Sky two weeks ago, as we were on the Sky in November and the Enchanted in September, each time in a Mini. We actually had no issues with the shower curtain, the tub was large enough that the curtain never "intruded" on our space. 

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I believe you'll find that it's actually the Bernoulli Effect at work, i.e. air pressure drop, more than temperature. Cold showers still cause the curtain to pull in, don't they? The air is "pushed" away by the water from the shower, causing a drop in air pressure in the tub/shower due to the increased speed of the air escaping from the shower. This causes the curtain to be drawn towards the area of lower pressure, the tub. The higher temperature, therefore lower pressure, has a bit of impact, but it's mostly due to  the increased air velocity which causes the lower pressure.

Edited by lx200gps

Just be glad there are shower curtains...

In Europe, some accommodations, even the higher end ones, don't even have them.  The first time I went to Europe in the 1990s, I looked at my mom in horror when I walked into the bathroom and found no barrier to contain the splashing water in the tub--no door, no curtain, zilch.  That's when housekeeping told me that was the purpose of the removable shower wand and lack of the curtain.  You turned the water off to lather and removed the shower wand from the bracket to rinse and not make a mess.  It's a disguised way of conserving water.  In the U.S., we tend to only think of removable shower wands for disabled people.

Edited by SCX22

42 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We were on the Sky two weeks ago, as we were on the Sky in November and the Enchanted in September, each time in a Mini. We actually had no issues with the shower curtain, the tub was large enough that the curtain never "intruded" on our space. 

I’m not a fan of shower curtains, especially ones used by other people.  This way the curtain stays in place and I don’t have to keep touching it……one and done.  Yes, I’m obsessive about germs,  it’s just me lol.  You are correct, much less of an issue in the mini suites.

13 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

In the U.S., we tend to only think of removable shower wands for disabled people.

I've had a removable head for the past 32 years or more. Last year we tore out the tub in the master bath and replaced it with a shower the same size. We built in a small bench seat at the far end, a grab bar, and for the water we have a large, round "rains shower" head and also a handheld head that hangs on the wall. I absolutely love our shower now. An no issues climbing over the tub edge to have a shower. Bathtubs were made for small people so it's always been a shower for me.

Edited by Thrak

13 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I believe you'll find that it's actually the Bernoulli Effect at work, i.e. air pressure drop, more than temperature. Cold showers still cause the curtain to pull in, don't they? The air is "pushed" away by the water from the shower, causing a drop in air pressure in the tub/shower due to the increased speed of the air escaping from the shower. This causes the curtain to be drawn towards the area of lower pressure, the tub. The higher temperature, therefore lower pressure, has a bit of impact, but it's mostly due to  the increased air velocity which causes the lower pressure.

The difference comes down to whether a post intends to inform or impress. I'd rather give a streamlined explanation that meets the moment without going into fine details. Over time on this board, I think you'll find keeping it simple is the best received post. But if anyone is interested, they can read yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

The difference comes down to whether a post intends to inform or impress. I'd rather give a streamlined explanation that meets the moment without going into fine details. Over time on this board, I think you'll find keeping it simple is the best received post. But if anyone is interested, they can read yours.

Humble apologies, sorry I offended you.

Edited by lx200gps

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m not a fan of shower curtains, especially ones used by other people.  This way the curtain stays in place and I don’t have to keep touching it……one and done.  Yes, I’m obsessive about germs,  it’s just me lol.  You are correct, much less of an issue in the mini suites.

The shower curtains, and shower heads are changed out frequently.  I'd noticed over time, while wetting the bottom of the shower curtain to "stick it to the lip at the bottom that the length, and even the number of hooks changes frequently.  I've even seen room stewards scrubbing a bunch of shower heads and talking to one, he confirmed that the shower heads and curtains cleaned and are changed frequently.

• Thanks 1