Almost Live from Riviera

ORV

21 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@ORV Thank you for taking the time to share.  It both thoughtful and educational for those reading.  I hope you will take the time to take it all in and focus on your own enjoyment.  I want to thank you for showing the prices of the drink packages and upgrade from select to Prestige. That was very informative and supports the many posts done prior.  

I heard you were missing a port from one of your previous posts.  I loved your response.  Anyone who has ever cruised, regardless of brand, has had the same thing happen.  It is one of the surprises of cruising.  It can never be planned perfectly.  My wife and I are still sorry we missed swimming with the pigs in the Caribbean however we still completely enjoyed that cruise. 

Again, please enjoy, have an afternoon tea service, listen to some nice music with new friends and possible an adult beverage in you hand.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

IME, having cruised Oceania and Regent more than ten times, I can tell you that this company is the most conservative in terms of missing ports. We have taken about 50 cruises. Only one of our ten cruises on Oceania/Regent has actually made every scheduled port in the itinerary planned at embarkation. Thus, a 90 miss rate on our Oceania/Regent cruises. Of the other 40 cruises we have taken on other cruise lines, only twice have we failed to make every port in our planned itinerary. Perhaps this is coincidence, perhaps Oceania/Regent captains are more cautious. If I really am picking an itinerary which has a port I really want a good chance of not missing, I do not book on Oceania or Regent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CruisingCleo said:

May I ask how much you tipped? We will board Riviera next week in Miami and will have 3 large suitcases and 1 carry-on case. 

In your situation I would tip at least 6, or more if you feel like it. We only dropped off 1 checked bag so gave him a couple of bucks. They pick it up from the sidewalk and set it on the rack. Not like they’re loading it in and out of a van like a shuttle driver does. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Just a quick correction, there are more ships in port now, and the Celebrity ship is Reflection, although I think there might be another Celebrity ship here although I can’t see the name. There is also a MSC ship. Lots of ships for Nassau. 6 I think. Back on the serenity of our ship. 

The second Celebrity ship was the Beyond. Not that it really matters. They shoved off a little after 3. We’re leaving at 4. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

In your situation I would tip at least 6, or more if you feel like it. We only dropped off 1 checked bag so gave him a couple of bucks. They pick it up from the sidewalk and set it on the rack. Not like they’re loading it in and out of a van like a shuttle driver does. 

Do they still have the NO TIPPING signs on the posts by where the porters take your bags ??

😄

• Haha 1

ORV thank you for taking us along on your cruise.   Loving the pictures.  We embark Sirena in a week....   Captain and Executive Chef are the same we had on Riviera in September/October..  

If you run into Jack of jackdeb ask him how the sticky buns are.  You can tell him you are asking for a friend.   😄

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, ORV said:

It just worked out that way, we had a balcony guarantee, this is what we got, the wife loves a tub, so I’m happy. Actually room is great. B4

ORV, in the bathroom is there a shower/tub combination and a separate shower?  Thanks

On 3/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, chloemonkey said:

We are continuing on this cruise….and boy are people angry about the change in the itinerary!  If I had a dollar for every cranky person loudly saying “. We are going to demand a refund !  And Inlove in Florida!  Why in the world would I want to go to Jacksonville!  Guess they feel that the Oceania gods can control the weather?
Anyway….had a great 10 days before this and we are still happy to be onboard.  5e new carpet is nice - but again, I haven’t seen too many truly noticeable changes other than carpet.  I DO notice a decline is service however…..as when eating across ALL venues…..we are never asked if we would like a second soda, 5e are better at the water…..and I have had some pretty snarky waitresses….mainly at the Waves Grill.  Again, many times at. Real fast I have asked for more water and no one ever returns with it.  And I am more inclined to be understanding but when I see 3-4 or more Grill waiters standing in the end near the storage areas just talking for long periods of time - that does get on my nerves.  Again, truly first world problems, eh?
hope those joining us today will be more patient and agreeable about the new port situation…..but who knows?

I overheard a server in the Terrace Cafe that they are still not fully staffed. It is 1 staff member to 2 guests instead of the normal Oceania- advertised 2 staff to 1 guest. May account for some of the issues. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, xinnia317 said:

I overheard a server in the Terrace Cafe that they are still not fully staffed. It is 1 staff member to 2 guests instead of the normal Oceania- advertised 2 staff to 1 guest. May account for some of the issues. 

We were on Regatta in Dec/Jan. Service in Terrace was terrific. They carried my plate to our table. Came around several times to refill ice tea. Others at our table were asked if they needed anything.

• Like 2

@ORV

I'm enjoying your pictures and impressions of Riviera - can't wait until Sept for our turn.  I have noticed that our cabin will still have the bath tub 🤷‍♀️

What exactly are the offerings for Jacksonville?  We live at the Beaches outside the city - while it's a lovely area and Jacksonville does have many museums to offer - just curious.  Also curious to where you are docking.

Enjoy!

Edited by Tyskie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, xinnia317 said:

They never advertised 2 staff to 1 guest. No line has more staff than guests. Riviera has 1,240 guests and 800 crew. That's 1.56 guests per 1 staff member.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They never advertised 2 staff to 1 guest. No line has more staff than guests. Riviera has 1,240 guests and 800 crew. That's 1.56 guests per 1 staff member.

True, but can depend on the cruise. We were blessed on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 to have 780 crew to just 719 passengers. Treated like royalty. 😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

True, but can depend on the cruise. We were blessed on Riviera 12/13-23/2021 to have 780 crew to just 719 passengers. Treated like royalty. 😉 

We were on the same cruise lol.. I agree, but my comment was about full capacity numbers. This is what every line advertises.

46 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Good info - thank you!! That server should stop sharing bad data!

I wrote a comment on staffing, read it and deleted it.  The author is take their time to give real time information on a cruise they are on.  A ship that many of us either have gone on or in my case will go on.  There observations and other who are cruising are the gold in this thread. 

So far, the improvements in staterooms and public area's are lovely.  A itinerary change is at the discretion of the brand and always seems to have a reason that is mostly valid. Again, thanks to the author for taking the time out of their vacation to indulge all of us.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 hour ago, xinnia317 said:

never heard  of  2 staff per guest on O

If you have 1250 pax  & 800 crew  it is just not possible 

R ships  have 680pax  & 400 drew  

do the math

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you have 1250 pax  & 8oo crew  it is just not possible 

do the math

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you have 1250 pax  & 8oo crew  it is just not possible 

do the math

Yes - several folks have corrected this and that’s helpful. Thank you. 

• Like 1

We had dinner last night in Toscano, I had lasagna app and Osso bocco for a main. Enjoyed the company of a nice table of 6. The food was just as superb as it’s been in the past. Great service all around. No issues here. It was also the captain’s party and drinks were flowing pre dinner. Breakfast this morning was pecan pancake and fruit. Once again excellent food and service. I’ll let you know if there’s any bobbles. 

On the new updates of the state room, the wood trim wainscoting is a wonderful touch visually for us. Much better than plain walls. I probably won’t post any more pictures until we get back to a port with cell phone service. We have two sea days then Great stirrup cay. After that I think Jacksonville. Some people are upset about the itinerary change, and possibly justifiably so, but I’m not in charge, the Captain and Miami are. I personally am just happy to be on a cruise, but I have been to Bermuda multiple times. I can understand those that booked this for Bermuda being unhappy. 

More later, trivia calls. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, ORV said:

We had dinner last night in Toscano, I had lasagna app and Osso bocco for a main. Enjoyed the company of a nice table of 6. The food was just as superb as it’s been in the past. Great service all around. No issues here. It was also the captain’s party and drinks were flowing pre dinner. Breakfast this morning was pecan pancake and fruit. Once again excellent food and service. I’ll let you know if there’s any bobbles. 

On the new updates of the state room, the wood trim wainscoting is a wonderful touch visually for us. Much better than plain walls. I probably won’t post any more pictures until we get back to a port with cell phone service. We have two sea days then Great stirrup cay. After that I think Jacksonville. Some people are upset about the itinerary change, and possibly justifiably so, but I’m not in charge, the Captain and Miami are. I personally am just happy to be on a cruise, but I have been to Bermuda multiple times. I can understand those that booked this for Bermuda being unhappy. 

More later, trivia calls. 

We where on the 20 day February cruise. Ate in Toscana 3 evenings always the Lobster Fra Diovolo been consistent for the last 13 years 

• Thanks 1

Anyone showering in the ladies spa changing room? I found that the ladies shower leaked causing flooding in the tiny cubicle. I was on the ship 5 years ago and then last year and found the same problem. I was told that it might be fixed when the ship goes to dry lock. Thanks.