Celebrity Flyer: Pickleball at Sea

mahdnc

3 hours ago, AC Stew said:

We constantly hear that "pickleball is the fastest growing sport in the world" and it probably is (for now). True, there are international competitions. But whenever we see an ambulance racing through the development, it's often headed to the pickleball court. Another senior reminded that they're not 21 anymore.

If you think about it statistics can be misleading.   If 2 people started playing something and then it increased to 1000.  That would have to be the fastest growing sport or game according to the percentage of increase.  No other established sport would increase that much. 

it has a long way to catch up to the amount of people that play golf, tennis, bowling, pool, horseshoes, darts, cornball and etc.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I believe folks can take a break from certain activities while on a cruise without becoming stale!  Taking up  large space for a limited activity is not a good idea,,

At least the golf putting contests fit ok  poolside.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

Is it Luxury PickleBall?

If you sign up for the Classic pickle ball package, you play against the crew.You need to pay for Premium to play against other pax.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

If you think about it statistics can be misleading.   If 2 people started playing something and then it increased to 1000.  That would have to be the fastest growing sport or game according to the percentage of increase.  No other established sport would increase that much. 

it has a long way to catch up to the amount of people that play golf, tennis, bowling, pool, horseshoes, darts, cornball and etc.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hey there Miched, I totally agree! I was only quoting the pickleballers in my community! Their #1 argument to support more pickleball courts is the (perceived) mushrooming popularity of the sport.

Going back in time to the aerobics craze of the 80's, I remember all too well the worldwide popularity of that fitness phenomenon. Yeah, my knees are paying the price for those years of "high impact" pounding in my cute little Reebok Princess sneaks. Sensibly, aerobics evolved into numerous low impact offshoots. Pickleball too, will see an inevitable demise. Just not anytime soon.

For now, the folks who play the game, love the game. And I can tell you that the "older" participants in my community are fierce. The frequency of injuries, apparently, won't stop them.

2 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Hey there Miched, I totally agree! I was only quoting the pickleballers in my community! Their #1 argument to support more pickleball courts is the (perceived) mushrooming popularity of the sport.

Going back in time to the aerobics craze of the 80's, I remember all too well the worldwide popularity of that fitness phenomenon. Yeah, my knees are paying the price for those years of "high impact" pounding in my cute little Reebok Princess sneaks. Sensibly, aerobics evolved into numerous low impact offshoots. Pickleball too, will see an inevitable demise. Just not anytime soon.

For now, the folks who play the game, love the game. And I can tell you that the "older" participants in my community are fierce. The frequency of injuries, apparently, won't stop them.

I believe that the reason for the popularity of this sport is that you don't need to cover a full tennis court and the game is slower than tennis.  Therefore the popularity.  It seems like a good cross between ping pong and tennis without the extertion of tennis.

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I believe that the reason for the popularity of this sport is that you don't need to cover a full tennis court and the game is slower than tennis.  Therefore the popularity.  It seems like a good cross between ping pong and tennis without the extertion of tennis.

What is the difference between badminton and pickle ball,?

12 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Pickle ball is a faster game where the ball can bounce.  You can put spin on the ball.

Edited by NMTraveller

46 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

From AI/GPTChat

1. Court Size: In badminton, the court is so vast that you need a GPS to find your way back to the net, while in pickleball, the court is so tiny that players have to take baby steps to avoid falling off the edge.

2. Equipment: Badminton rackets are as light as a feather, making you feel like you're swinging air, while pickleball paddles are so heavy that players develop Popeye-like arms just from holding them.

3. Playing Surface: Badminton courts are magical places where the grass whispers sweet motivational words to the players, and pickleball courts have trampolines disguised as floors, launching players sky-high with every bounce.

4. Scoring System: In badminton, scoring can be so confusing that mathematicians are called in to calculate the points, while pickleball scoring is a mysterious code known only to a secret society of paddle-wielding wizards.

5. Gameplay: Badminton rallies are lightning-fast, with players moving at the speed of Usain Bolt on roller skates, while pickleball resembles a slow-motion dance-off where players exchange delicate shots like ballerinas in slow motion.

Remember, these answers are purely for humor and shouldn't be taken as accurate descriptions of the sports. Both badminton and pickleball offer their own unique experiences and enjoyment!

6 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

From AI/GPTChat

1. Court Size: In badminton, the court is so vast that you need a GPS to find your way back to the net, while in pickleball, the court is so tiny that players have to take baby steps to avoid falling off the edge.

2. Equipment: Badminton rackets are as light as a feather, making you feel like you're swinging air, while pickleball paddles are so heavy that players develop Popeye-like arms just from holding them.

3. Playing Surface: Badminton courts are magical places where the grass whispers sweet motivational words to the players, and pickleball courts have trampolines disguised as floors, launching players sky-high with every bounce.

4. Scoring System: In badminton, scoring can be so confusing that mathematicians are called in to calculate the points, while pickleball scoring is a mysterious code known only to a secret society of paddle-wielding wizards.

5. Gameplay: Badminton rallies are lightning-fast, with players moving at the speed of Usain Bolt on roller skates, while pickleball resembles a slow-motion dance-off where players exchange delicate shots like ballerinas in slow motion.

Remember, these answers are purely for humor and shouldn't be taken as accurate descriptions of the sports. Both badminton and pickleball offer their own unique experiences and enjoyment!

When I post stuff that is fake, I usually get in trouble for it.  This is fake, right?

16 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

I often wonder about some of the fitness stuff.  Back in the. 70’s I practice Karate for about 6 years.  Got many injuries and applied many.   Practiced a lot of kicks and punches.  Our group sessions were like aerobics.    Had to build stamina.   I think some of the abuse  is now affecting me.

The clutch in my muscle car was very hard to push in.  I am sure it affect my left knee.  I tried to teach my wife ( girl friend at the tie ) how to drive it.   She couldn’t push in the clutch.  

15 years ago my wife and I started the Beachbody programs.  A lot of high impact aerobics.    We were 62 at the time and did the P90x. Insanity, Max 30, Focus and every one of the programs being offered except for the lame ones like Turbofire.    2 years ago I had to have a hip replaced, last year was the other.  My knees are going bad and so is my back.   The doctor says I am in great shape for a 77 year old.  I tell him BS.   I didn’t sign that contract and don’t accept it.  My BMI is 23.  I look like I am in  great  condition   It is like looking at the old cars.  They look good on the outside but you don’t know what is going on in the inside.  

I don’t know if it was those programs or working in construction.   I worked in a lot of hazardous conditions and situations.  I look back and wonder how I survived.  

We try to stay active.   We bike  at least 20 miles per day.  People will say how can you do that?   Easy buy a good bike go out and pedal.  Enjoy the world and surroundings.      We come across people with the E-bikes and they tell us we need one.  I say that I would rather stay home and watch Oprah ( can’t stand her).   We do it for the exercise not to joy ride.     I would rather spend a few hours a day doing what I like instead of sitting in a doctors office every week.  We aren’t on any medications for any ailments or issues.  The money we save on doctor bills and medications help pay for our cruises.  

Is it genetics, wear and tear from the  excessive exercise, the work I did or the  old age as the doctor claims?   We will never know.  

Enjoy life and take care of your body because no one else will do it for you and it is the only one you will ever have.   I truly  feel for those that were born with health and physical issues.   My aches and pains are nothing compared to what ,any of they endure.  
-

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, miched said:

We seen it on the Beyond.   People were lined up waiting to play.  If you are a serious player forget about playing.   It isn’t to see who is the best or the most professional.   It is an activity.   Most people were lucky to return a serve.   It they did the other person would miss.  I don’t know if you can choose your opponent.   It isn’t open 24/7.   Just set up for a few hours and supervised.  

I am a decent pool (billiard)  player.   Better than most but not a pro.  Personally I don’t find it any fun playing against someone that can’t play close to my level.  It is frustrating.  That is how I would feel about playing pickle ball on board the ship if I was a serious player.    I wouldn’t do it unless it would be someone that was close to my level.   I don’t need to show off playing someone that never played before.  

If you are good you can play with any equipment.   The best equipment is only needed if you are one of the best playing against the best not against amateurs. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

There were all levels trying to play on the Beyond.  A couple of players wanted to know why they could not play when the movie was playing?  Give me a break.  Thankfully, staff removed all of the equipment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keesar said:

There were all levels trying to play on the Beyond.  A couple of players wanted to know why they could not play when the movie was playing?  Give me a break.  Thankfully, staff removed all of the equipment.

LIAM NEESON PING WE HAVE TO PONG SAVE THE PING PRESIDENT PONG!!!

I didn't see that many chairs at the Beyond screen.  Is it not very popular?  Or do they put out more chairs when they actually start the movie?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

LIAM NEESON PING WE HAVE TO PONG SAVE THE PING PRESIDENT PONG!!!

I didn't see that many chairs at the Beyond screen.  Is it not very popular?  Or do they put out more chairs when they actually start the movie?

Some people use blankets to watch the movie.  

It was interesting to watch a wiffle ball attempt to go back and forth while the ship is moving and with the windy conditions at sea.  

19 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One is very noisy...ball to paddle.. other is featherlite..no annoying noise!

• Haha 2